Using an upper cylinder lube for lean running engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a dumb idea, but I just installed a slip on exhaust and a K&N filter on my bike, 2005 ninja 636 fuel infected. So I would imagine without a tune it's going to run lean. I intend on getting a tune soon, but I need to save up for a few weeks. Yes I pulled the trigger on an exhaust too soon, but it's done now. Do you think using lucas upper cylinder lube in the fuel would mitigate the harmful effects of an engine running too lean for a few weeks?

Last edited:
A slipon is not going to change the backpressure enough to make it TOO lean to ride. As long as you're not hearing lean engine knock it'll be fine. Stay away from loading the engine in a tall gear that's typically where you'll hear a lean knock/rattle.

Thanks for the info, at least the two who didn't feel the need to be sarcastic, I thought it might be dumb hence why I asked before doing it. No I haven't heard any knocking, I don't really have anywhere where I can rev out the engine in a higher gear at least not without risking a nice night in jail, so that wont be a problem.

Last edited:
I don't pretend to understanding the mechanism involved but it's my experience that adding TCW3 2 stroke oil (it's cheaper than a UCL) in a ratio of 1:640 to petrol reduces an engines propensity to ping. So if it does weaken the mixture it's a small effect, possibly negated by some other effect.

Originally Posted by dunlop0078
Thanks for the info, at least the two who didn't feel the need to be sarcastic, I thought it might be dumb hence why I asked before doing it. No I haven't heard any knocking, I don't really have anywhere where I can rev out the engine in a higher gear at least not without risking a nice night in jail, so that wont be a problem.

If your night in jail was nice, you're in the wrong jail!

"Loading the engine in a tall gear" means shifting up a gear sooner than you should, and go to wide open throttle making the engine "lug" at a low rpm. This is of course something to avoid no matter what modifications you have. Weak ignitions will also show themselves under these conditions.

Last edited:
You def need a tune. Your bike may actually run better w/stock exhaust, but you won't get the "sound". The mfgs spend a lot of time on exhaust on modern bikes. That being said, I did the same thing as you on my 2007 H-D Dyna, and it was running 15 something to 1 on the dyno w/o the tune. I got a dyno tune and a Power Commander 5 which got me an extra 15hp and torque.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
You def need a tune. Your bike may actually run better w/stock exhaust, but you won't get the "sound". The mfgs spend a lot of time on exhaust on modern bikes. That being said, I did the same thing as you on my 2007 H-D Dyna, and it was running 15 something to 1 on the dyno w/o the tune. I got a dyno tune and a Power Commander 5 which got me an extra 15hp and torque.

Yeah I'm saving up for the power commander 5, didn't realize how much they cost and I would like a dyno tune as well I feel a little uneasy about slapping some premade tune on the bike that is supposed to be meant for my exhaust. Yeah I know it would likely run better with the stock exhaust, but the stock exhaust made it sound like a scooter and to be honest i'm perfectly fine with this bike being a little slower until I get used to it, compared to my SV650 this thing is dumb fast. But i'd rather not burn up my engine either lol.

And thanks for the explanation mk378, I wont lug it.

You'd go from lean to lean with low octane, as oil is worse than gas in this regard. Bad idea. If you must, at least run it with super.

Like the posters above, I'm not a fan of using any form of "upper cylinder lubrication". However, I will readily admit that doing so makes my very beat up Jaguar X-Type run smoother. Likely due to worn out rings and poorly sealing valves after 200,000 miles.

I'd avoid adding anything that will dilute the fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back