New Ford Escape...1.0 liter...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy just bought a new (2019) Escape and he opened the hood, and sure enough, it has a 1.0 liter, 3 cylinder engine. It appears to be turbocharged, so it should have plenty of power, but an engine this small in an SUV seems strange to me. Anyone know how well these engines hold up lugging around such a huge vehicle (for this size engine)?

Yes really and the 1 liter engine has been oil for a few years it seems to work in the Fiesta.

I've noticed in Ford clubs over here the 1.0 Ecoboost is now referred to as the EcoBOOM as they fail quite spectacularly on a fairly common basis. It does seem mighty small for a car the size of the Escape (Kuga here in the UK).

You mean the EcoSport? The escape has the 2.5 4cyl, 1.5L turbo-4, or the 2.0 turbo-4.

It's not a bad engine and has been used since 2012 in Europe and 2015 in the US. They had head gasket issues early on but that was solved by the time the engine made it's way over here. Performance wise, it's really going to be impossible to tell compared to the 4 cylinder but C&D notes the 4cyl version weights 300 pounds more. Acceleration isn't really an issue since the redbull can-sized turbo makes it's peak torque really low in the RPMs. Highway passing is going to be the issue.

The biggest con is the fact that the car is tall and the turbo is small. It's going to be hard to stay out of boost on the highway making that 3-cyl not as fuel efficient as you think it should be. I also have issues trying to get the engine at optimum temps when the outside temp drops below freezing.

FWIW, I'm at ~182K miles on my 1.0L and no oil consumption. I haven't had an issue with the engine; the water pump was replaced under warranty at ~30k and starter at ~150K. I haven't heard of any issues from this engine yet either from the focus forums, but it's not like the US got a lot of cars with these engines anyways.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
My buddy just bought a new (2019) Escape and he opened the hood, and sure enough, it has a 1.0 liter, 3 cylinder engine. It appears to be turbocharged, so it should have plenty of power, but an engine this small in an SUV seems strange to me. Anyone know how well these engines hold up lugging around such a huge vehicle (for this size engine)?

According to Ford's website, the Escape has a 1.5L engine, and it produces more torque at lower RPM than their NA 2.5 liter engine, so I'm sure it has enough power for picking up groceries. Escape only weighs 3,300 lbs, and really isn't 'huge'. Just as long as you don't mind the sound a 3-cylinder engine makes...

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Was it an Escape or an Eco Sport, the Escape should come standard with a 1.5L, the EcoSport comes with a 1.0L

I think it was an Escape. There was a sticker under the hood that had two engines listed, a 1.0 liter, and a 2.0 liter. I'm assuming the 2.0 is a 4 cylinder, but his engine only had 3 coil overs…and the turbo was tiny...but it is definitely a 3 cylinder, not a 4...

Last edited:
Was it an Escape or an Eco Sport, the Escape should come standard with a 1.5L, the EcoSport comes with a 1.0L

I think it was an Escape. There was a sticker under the hood that had two engines listed, a 1.0 liter, and a 2.0 liter. I'm assuming the 2.0 is a 4 cylinder, but his engine only had 3 coil overs…and the turbo was tiny...but it is definitely a 3 cylinder, not a 4...

That engine line-up is only available in the ecosport, not the escape. The ecosport is like a mini-escape.

I think it was an Escape. There was a sticker under the hood that had two engines listed, a 1.0 liter, and a 2.0 liter.
If those were the engine options, then it was EcoSport.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Just as long as you don't mind the sound a 3-cylinder engine makes...

Surprisingly it actually doesn't sound too bad; nothing like a V8 but definitely not ear piercing like a N/A 4-cyl. Almost like a very muffled straight 6.

My first car was a 1993 three cylinder Geo Metro station wagon. It was blue that faded to baby blue in the Florida sun. I had to turn the AC off when I wanted to accelerate.with traffic. Two weeks after buying it, I got pulled over and the cop accused me of going 89 mph. I tried to tell him the car wasn't capable of going that fast. He didn't care.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
I remember when a 1 liter 3 seemed small when it was in a Geo Metro...

Yes, all 50hp too! They were made by Suzuki and actually a good solid engine. My mom had one and rolled the odometer three times before dad drove it to the junk yard @ 340k.

The latest Fiesta ST has a 1.5T 3 cylinder...but Ford, in it's infinite stupidity, has decided not to sell it in North America. Reviews from Europe are very positive.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Can't be any worse than a 2.7L in a 5,500 pound F150.

The 2.7 does quite well in the F150.

Engine is rated at 123hp for a 1.0L
That's pretty stout per liter. All things equal a Ford 5.0L would be right at 615hp.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Can't be any worse than a 2.7L in a 5,500 pound F150.

The 2.7 does quite well in the F150.

Exactly.

my brother has a f150 with the 2.7 and its quick pickup, it also pulls his 28 foot camper around just fine.

I might get one like it someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back