Maintenance documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep all receipts in a big envelope mainly for me but when I'm selling a vehicle and tell them how well I have maintained it it's nice to be able to hand the folder over when I give the buyer the keys so they can see I wasn't lying.

Originally Posted by Mangos86
I've been using an excel spreadsheet to track everything including cost and where I bought things.

+1 for excel

MyCarfax.com is free and works great. The phone app and website are synced and have receipt upload feature for all maintenance. Also the maintenance/registration reminders are helpful.

I only keep track of maintenance and repair that is time and/or mileage sensitive. This includes fluids, filters, suspension repair, tire rotation, etc. I use very minimal notes in list form so I can easily go back and see when something was done. After owning a car for 20 years this would take up only 2-3 pages. The next owner has always appreciated the maintenance log, and it helped the buyer to pull the trigger to buy my car.

I'll measure gas mileage from time to time, but for the most part I don't care. I know it won't change much.

I keep an old fashioned logbook and document all maintenance exhaustively.

New owner can pitch it if they like but most appreciate the attention to detail.

UD

I keep a binder filled with clear 8×10 pouches you slide the receipts into. I also keep a "car maintenance" folder in my phone with pictures.

Spiral notebook. I keep most invoices but vehicle is going on 16 so it really doesn't matter anymore.Waiting until garage warms up to replace power steering reservoir return and supply hoses which are beginning to seep at clamps due to advanced age of hoses.Normal entropy.

I have a spread sheet and I save pdf's of receipts. When the warranty runs out I stop keeping pdf's of receipts.

Originally Posted by redbone3
I have a spread sheet and I save pdf's of receipts. When the warranty runs out I stop keeping pdf's of receipts.

There's proof for warranty and proof for resale. I scan everything in my life. Lots and lots of .pdf's.

A simple log book or Excel sheet. Keep/scan the receipts and throw into an envelope. No need to write down all the details already described on the receipt.

I imagine there are numerous reasons to explain the different levels of record keeping. I bet the majority of non-BITOGERs keep minimal records. For OCD types, it is part of their pleasure/illness that drives them. There is a difference for selling an enthusiasts type vehicle vs. an utility/appliance type vehicle. I'm the latter type and people trust when I tell them about the regular things like brakes, filters, oil, minor repairs, etc.. I don't give them my personal vehicle records and I probably leave out unnecessary details. I.E., I would not tell them that this particular model (at 80K) has a history of leaking head gaskets after 100,000 miles. I don't track cost of ownership and like Kestas, only occasionally check mpg.

Another vote for MyCarFax. I've been using it for a few years now. No worries about loosing a spreadsheet, file folder, receipt, etc. It's forever in the "cloud".

You won't see everything that you can with a genuine Carfax, but you will see any shop maintenance that automatically uploads and of course everything you manually upload.

I log all maintenance and repairs in a 3x5 notebook that I keep in the glove box of each vehicle. All receipts go into an individual folder for that vehicle and kept in the filing cabinet.

^ Saving original receipts might not help much when, in some cases, the thermal printing vanishes after only a couple of years, even if they're stored away from light or high temperature. Receipts from the local AutoZone are especially prone to fade away rapidly. I think that's a trick to evade honoring their warranties.

I keep all my receipts, they make great fire starters.

Now, if you have an account at an auto parts store they're all on file, same with oil changes places.

Most manufacturers have an owner's website where you can enter/track your vehicle's maintenance history. Examples:
Toyota Owners
Chevy Owners

Maintenance documents speak loudly when buying/selling a vehicle, so keep your receipts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back