Buick Regal 2.0T Ecotec Engines

How are these GDI engines, LHU and LTG?

I know that the 2.4 Ecotec has had problems, as have earlier Saab versions of this engines (soft intake valves).

Any problems here?

Saab 2007 and up the 06 and down were fine but had some chain issues. the 2.0T in the Buick doesn't have any of the older engine issues that I know of.

I've only seen VVT solenoid failures on them, but I believe there is special coverage for them.

I would guess any engine with cam phrases , be very diligent with frequent oil/filter changes , using good synthetic oil . Please correct me if I am wrong .

Also , if the engine has difficult to get to timing chains and associated parts .

I have a LTG in Malibu 65,000 miles no issues. I know there are ones out there with a lot more. 2013 they did have some problems in the ATS but the pistons were upgraded and the initial run was fixed by GM.

Mine does not use any oil, but on average people who go 6000 miles or more an oil change will add make up oil. Plugs require replacement every 60,000 to 65,000 miles

Like any GDI they can suffer from LSPI or low speed pre ignition. I have not seen that on my car. It appears it happens more on the cars that run low grade fuel and run the oil longer than 7000 miles.

I change the oil in the my Malibu every 4000 to 5000 miles for those reasons. It is a 35 to 40 dollar oil change with Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter twice a year. I also always run premium in it. Not sure why you would run anything less in any turbo car.

The current run of 2.0 LTG engines don't really have any problems if you maintain them properly, meaning use Dexos approved oil in them. They are formulated to help prevent LSPI.

The LTG has been a solid engine. It's been around in Cadillac the longest, currently in the Camaro, Equinox...it's everywhere. I have one now and it's been solid for 18k miles. Like most new GM motors the oil pressure is regulated from the galleys, not the pump so make sure you use the correct filter with a 22psi bypass.

From GM's (and others) cam chain failures in the 3.6l I am convinced that the OLM should not be followed for oil changes. 7-10k miles is way too long but it will get you through the warranty! The DIT motors put more soot and particulate in the oil and my LTG darkens the oil much faster than my previous cars, even a GTI with the ea888.

I change my oil in my LTG at 50% OLM which works out to 3750 miles. qt Clearance oil and PF64 filters for less than $3 means it's a $15 DIY oil change with a top synthetic.

Regular oil changes with these engines is an absolute must, a good Euro oil changed every 5K will keep them in good shape.
I see they moved the turbo to the front like the earlier engines instead of the rear, this should improve turbo cooling, right side CV axle boot life and possibly rack life.
Doing the chains is going to be a bit tight as with most horizontally mounted engines but doable unlike the earlier ones with cast iron block, that were a real bear.

Again changing the oil every 5K and not by the OLM will greatly increase chain life (GM shortened their OCI on the 3.6 because of this issue) and it may never need replacing. If they recommend xw20 in this forget it, a Euro higher HTHS oil is what they really need to survive long after the warranty has gone.

Edit when I say a Euro oil I mean like a dex2 oil eg Mobil1 0/5w30 (the last GM Europe spec for these engines) this has proven to keep the chain system in good condition in many cases over 200K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav

Edit when I say a Euro oil I mean like a dex2 oil eg Mobil1 0/5w30 (the last GM Europe spec for these engines) this has proven to keep the chain system in good condition in many cases over 200K.

They recommend 5W-30 which is nice because I run Mobil 1 5W-30 in everything but the Trans Am which gets 10W-30 or whatever is laying around.

At least they didn't get silly and spec a thin oil for these engines. The LS1 TA engine of that vintage does well on a 10w30 IIRC.

everything made today has issues, more or less, many GM's have wheel bearing- hub issues + my girlfriends oil burning 13 malibu 2.5L was using over a qt in a thou when traded at just over 60 thou. turbo charged direct injected engines are more prone to carboning + their more costly when things go south! if you trade often + early as many do your ok, but looking for over a 100 thou good luck. checking vehicle specific forums can be a good idea for sure!

Originally Posted by ET16

I know that the 2.4 Ecotec has had problems, as have earlier Saab versions of this engines (soft intake valves).

Any problems here?

Probably oldest roots of any turbo engine today.
Original 2.0T was in Opel Calibra and Vectra A in 1991 having 204hp and 260nm. It was called widower as it was put in light chassis with undersized brakes and aerodynamic coefficient of 0.26cw which is absolute record for vehicle at that time. Developed originally by Cosworth and Opel. Probably best 2.0T engine of 1990's. Unfortunately, GM cost saving policies later made impossible for engineers to keep up with competition.
It should be stout engine, but nothing special. Should not have some infant issues like LSPI etc.

LTG in my 17 Regal GS, only has 9K on the clock so she's still breaking in, 2 yrs of trouble free driving, run 91 fuel and do 5K oil changes, believe with the LTG all the fixes for the LHU, great little engine.
cheers3.gif

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/ltg/

Originally Posted by edyvw

Any problems here?

Original 2.0T was in Opel Calibra and Vectra A in 1991 having 204hp and 260nm. It was called widower as it was put in light chassis with undersized brakes and aerodynamic coefficient of 0.26cw which is absolute record for vehicle at that time. Developed originally by Cosworth and Opel. Probably best 2.0T engine of 1990's. Unfortunately, GM cost saving policies later made impossible for engineers to keep up with competition.
It should be stout engine, but nothing special. Should not have some infant issues like LSPI etc.

You left some of the history for the generation most similar to the engine being talked about out. While it may be similar the original was an iron block engine.

Development began in 1994, by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Södertälje, Sweden.[2] Much of the development work on this project was carried out by Lotus Engineering, Hethel, United Kingdom

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by edyvw

Any problems here?

You left some of the history for the generation most similar to the engine being talked about out. While it may be similar the original was an iron block engine.

Development began in 1994, by an international team of engineers and technicians from Opel's International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Michigan, and Saab in Södertälje, Sweden.[2] Much of the development work on this project was carried out by Lotus Engineering, Hethel, United Kingdom

Sure, there were numerous changes. The Ecotec version you are referring to was nowhere near original version (156hp naturally aspirated). I owned 136hp in Vectra B, and was mediocre at best.

A little late but yes the 2.0T ecotech used in saab and buick still has valve problems. 89K and cold start issues.

Any problems here?
I have the LHU in my GS. It's been flawless. anecdotally I recall hearing of a lot of ring land failures on the LTG's, never heard of this happening with the LHU.

We are about 12k miles into our TourX and no issues. No noticeable oil consumption. It just does what it does.

Back