Ratcheting Wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by sloinker
Gearwrench are the worst. Any other brand will work better. The HF value brand is magnitudes better. Never tried their ICON's but you can rest assured they are better than Gearwrench. Every single Gearwrench and their free lifetime guaranteed replacement I own have failed. Locked in gear by what any other wrench would be considered normal use.

+1

I own a set of their SAE ratcheting wrenches. The 3 sizes I use the most all locked up and were replaced with Tekton.

I was an early adopter of Gearwrench that I purchased from Sears. They will not hold up to anything approaching moderate torque without failing. This does not hold true for any other brand ratcheting wrench that I own. I own tools from Snap-On to HF and everything in-between and Gearwrench rivals Globemaster in terms of quality. I am now a firm believer in HF hand tools. Lifetime warranty on the Pittsburgh's at 1/10th or less the cost of Mac.

Originally Posted by Cressida
I've been hesitant to use my ratcheting wrenches to break bolts instead believing that using a 6 point socket has less chance of slipping and rounding off.

Is that something that I should not be worrying about with a ratcheting wrench? I've not used them really enough to know how they perform in real world use.

I only use my ratcheting wrenches to loosen or tighten but not to break anything tight. They don't seem tough enough for that.

Definitely the flex heads and watch the heads are not giant sized. I have a set of no flex Craftsmen that I never use. The heads are so big they never fit where I want to use them.

I've been hesitant to use my ratcheting wrenches to break bolts instead believing that using a 6 point socket has less chance of slipping and rounding off.

Is that something that I should not be worrying about with a ratcheting wrench? I've not used them really enough to know how they perform in real world use.

Now a days I use my old made in the USA Craftman ratchet wrenches much more gently, but there was I time they would see some pretty heavy use. Some have seen cheater bars... No bending or breaking (although the pawls did dry out a couple years back and required an oil soak).

Since reading here about flank drive and so on it is about the same 6 or 12 point. The tool, even if it fits within .001 in on the bolt, still presses essentially on one point. There is always clearance so when the wrench turns there is always air space and a contact point no matter the points. Taking away the tool corners and driving a little lower on the flank of the bolt head was so simple but so genius no one thought of it until 25 years ago or whenever flank drive started appearing.

They will break bolts loose, no worries there.

I've had my HF set for a little over 6 years that's been used for heavy DIY use. Only had one break. Ironically it was one that I hardly used. 14 mm IIRC. I want to say they skipped a size too, which I'm not a fan of.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I've had my HF set for a little over 6 years that's been used for heavy DIY use. Only had one break. Ironically it was one that I hardly used. 14 mm IIRC. I want to say they skipped a size too, which I'm not a fan of.

The seemingly unpredictable missing size is the one complaint I have about HF socket and wrench sets. Not all sets do it, usually only the specialized ones, but as soon as you decide you need one of those specialized tools, you look and find out it is missing the ONE size you needed it for in the first place.

I got a set of GearWrenches about 10 years ago and now rarely touch my standard combo wrenches. Never a problem with any of them.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Originally Posted by dawgn86
Try Tekton. Made in America

Nope, their ratcheting wrenches are made in Taiwan per their website.

Wow. I stand corrected. However, I have several of their wrenches and are pleased with them.

Get the ICON - these are some excellent quality tools and priced right especially with the 20% ICON tool coupon. I just bough the big as a car tool box lol. Got the 73" cabinet, top hutch/workstation, stainless top and both end units. Used the special ICON 20% coupon on each piece (bought a piece every day) and paid a little over $10k for an amazing box. Every bit as good as a snap on box for probably $20k less. ICON is going to wake up the tool trucks and HF is getting into the financing game too this year.

Originally Posted by Trav
The problem with ... from what I can see on their site is they are 6 point. Pass on them, that's not good.

All right, I'm thick, dull, and like wrenches that don't slip. I still have not found any good reason for 12 point vs 6 for a ratcheting wrench or socket. I don't work on aircraft 12 point nuts or bolts. WHY?

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Get the ICON - these are some excellent quality tools and priced right especially with the 20% ICON tool coupon. I just bough the big as a car tool box lol. Got the 73" cabinet, top hutch/workstation, stainless top and both end units. Used the special ICON 20% coupon on each piece (bought a piece every day) and paid a little over $10k for an amazing box. Every bit as good as a snap on box for probably $20k less. ICON is going to wake up the tool trucks and HF is getting into the financing game too this year.

And that includes delivery.

Originally Posted by George Bynum
The problem with ... from what I can see on their site is they are 6 point. Pass on them, that's not good.

All right, I'm thick, dull, and like wrenches that don't slip. I still have not found any good reason for 12 point vs 6 for a ratcheting wrench or socket. I don't work on aircraft 12 point nuts or bolts. WHY?

Getting a 6 point tool be it socket or wrench can be a PITA in a tight spot. When have you ever had a 12 point wrench slip unless the fastener head was damaged? I never have, some cheap tools may because they are not sized properly.

Getting a 6 point tool be it socket or wrench can be a PITA in a tight spot. When have you ever had a 12 point wrench slip unless the fastener head was damaged? I never have, some cheap tools may because they are not sized properly.

Interesting... I might have guessed the opposite. All my (inherited) SO sockets are 6 point.

I use mostly 6 point sockets and even if they don't line up its easy enough to spin the socket on the ratchet slightly but a closed ratchet wrench you would have to remove the wrench turn it and try again. This applies mostly to confined areas that you often encounter on tight engine compartments.

I got a steal on a complete SAE and metric (20 piece) set of Gearwrech on Black Friday at our local Sears 5 years ago...$20 for the whole set. I use them and abuse them A LOT. Never had a single hiccup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back