Where do you buy super cheap reading glasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to my migraine's connection to the eyesight, the Ophthalmologist is suggesting to try reading glasses. Made a quick trip to Walmart and $10 for plasticky glasses. Costco $20 for a pack of 3. He didn't mention exact number but between +2.00 to +3.00. The trial lenses in Costco made me feel I could use either of +2.50 or +2.75. I don't want to buy both packs and use both for a day or two and return the one that is not the best. Hence looking where I could buy really cheap so I can just throw away the one I don't need.

Do dollar stores sell reading glasses for a $? We don't have any nearby, hence asking if I take a detour on my way this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

You can also try the actual glasses at many grocery stores, pharmacies, Walmart and other locations to see which ones work for you.

It's good to know that as you age, the "accommodation" (ability to focus, measured in diopters) of the eye decreases.

When very young, an eye may have as much as 10 diopters focus range, when 50, about 1 diopter. By old age, the ability to focus may drop to "nil".

So, when choosing reading glasses, depending on age, you may need an exact diopter, or you may be able to choose a set with lower power and let your eyes naturally focus the material.

You may also find you need a different diopter for the computer screen, which is often more distant than paperwork.

Amazon.

But super cheap ones have distortions that give me a headache.

For $15-$20, you can buy very good quality readers that won't give you a headache. Soolala is a brand that I use and like.

Dollar Tree has them for $1, but I ALWAYS break them in a week or so. Same with Walmart. (Though Walmart's are a few dollars more) I've had the best success with the $6 glasses I get at Big Lots. Haven't broken a pair of those yet. And 4 pair isn't enough. I have a pair in every car, bedroom, home office, family room, kitchen, living room, and 2 at work. I still can't find a pair when I need them!

You can get a very nice prescription set of glasses that actually fit your face for cheap at Walmart optical.

Originally Posted by deoxy4
Costco readers are good quality and hard to beat for price.

Agreed. You can pay less, but you will not get quality.

readers.com has one a little higher quality that the bargain packs at Walmart. They will bend less and have screws that can be tightened.

I think if you buy $25 or $30 worth the shipping is free.

I got some got work on a PC with a slight yellow tint there.

If I am a dollar or two away from the minimum for free shipping I buy a case or cleaning cloth.

Just picked up some readers from Dollar General, 6 bucks and they work fine, wide variety of frames.
cheers3.gif

Dollar Tree's $1 ones have ok lenses in a variety of strengths. You can try different ones on in the store. The frames are fragile, though---i.e., disposable.

Diopters = 1/focal length in meters

Don't known if they are available in your location but I use Sunoptic bought from Amazon for around £10.

If you have never needed reading glasses before then +2.00 to +3.00 seem to me to be quite strong lenses. I've needed reading glasses for 10 years or more due to the normal issues of old age and have only just progressed from 1.0 to 1.5.

Yes, you can certainly get them too strong and that's not going to do your eyes any favors. A few of the local large supermarkets like Wegmans, Harris Teeter and I think Safeway near me all had kiosks back by the pharmacy that tested your eyes for proper magnification. I've been using 2.0's for a few years now for reading, and could probably stand to go to 2.25's or 2.5's at this point, but I bought a few pairs of 4.0's to put in my home toolbox and work desk for doing small work. Readers were all bought at Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back