Moog wheel bearing and knuckle assy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for information from people that have tried the Moog complete wheel bearing / hub / knuckle assemblies.

I'm looking at one for an '09 Camry beater.
Currently $217 from Rock Auto.

For comparison, an SKF wheel bearing and hub is $127.
I don't have access to a press so getting the old bearing out and the new one in would likely cost me an extra $50.
The Moog comes with a 3 year / 36000 mile warranty which would likely outlast the lifetime of the vehicle.

Please don't just post to hate on Moog. I know their quality has been spotty the last several years.
Just looking for impressions from someone who has used one of these.

Thanks!!!
cheers3.gif

The difference in price covers 2/3 of the price of a 20 ton press from hf. I have the 12.
If you have room for a press, get the press( $140 with coupon) and the skf bearing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-shop-press-32879.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzYxOTM5NDgiLCJza3UiOiIzMjg3OSIsImlzIjoiMTQ5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjQ1MyJ9%0D%0A&utm_source=go&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=shortener&utm_content=couponimage&cid=go_social

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
The difference in price covers 2/3 of the price of a 20 ton press from hf. I have the 12.
If you have room for a press, get the press( $140 with coupon) and the skf bearing.

I don't have room for the press.

I have no first hand experience with them but IMO you would be better served with the SKF and a press job, you know the OE knuckle fits and most importantly it aligns.
I had Moog LCA that would not align properly and had a real fiasco returning and redoing the job with more bum parts until I got sick of it and tossed it and bought an OE unit which aligned perfectly first shot.

When I was in your situation I did well just getting junkyard spindles for $25.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
https://www.amazon.ca/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-78825-Installer/dp/B01JBK2OJOI've used this for three wheel bearing replacements now, it works pretty well. I've broken two air impacts using it, though. One of which was a 231g which are supposed to be indestructible.

I like the looks of that set. Not to pull bearings, but to use as different bearing size press plates for my press!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
I have no first hand experience with them but IMO you would be better served with the SKF and a press job, you know the OE knuckle fits and most importantly it aligns.
I had Moog LCA that would not align properly and had a real fiasco returning and redoing the job with more bum parts until I got sick of it and tossed it and bought an OE unit which aligned perfectly first shot.

Hmm... I didn't even consider the alignment aspect.Thanks for the insight. I think I'll stay away from the Moog's on your recommendation.

Originally Posted by eljefino

Didn't think of this either. I'll have a look around locally and see what I can find.

Thanks everybody!!!
cheers3.gif

Spindle route is a good idea, or call some machine shops, and ask what they would charge if you bring the knuckle and new bearing.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Spindle route is a good idea, or call some machine shops, and ask what they would charge if you bring the knuckle and new bearing.

this is a route I have done and usually only costed about 30 to 35 bucks at the carquest/advance auto machine shop, depends what labor is these days or the area but agreed I don't think it would exceed 40 dollars

also you don't need a replacement hub as it can be be pressed into the new bearing.

looks like you can get just the bearing for 30 to 40 bucks, so the whole process of taking the spindle off and to the machine shop etc shouldn't exceed 100 bucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino

I am doing this with my Toyota 4Runner - going to have those salvaged spindles rebuilt with new seals and bearings, then install them. I also currently have all the front control arms pulled from a junked 4Runner that I'm having rebushed because of bad experiences with recent Moog and other aftermarket control arm assemblies.

OP here. So here's an update on what I decided to do.
Forum member Eljefino suggested that I look for junkyard spindles.
I started looking around and found spares from a 2008 Camry at a yard about an hour away.
The car had been hit in the rear and totaled with only 21,000 miles on it.

I ended up grabbing both the right and left spindles for $50 each.
So for a grand total of $107 I ended up with the following, all OEM parts:

Steering knuckles
Wheel bearing and hubs
Ball joints

When the bone yard pulled them, they just yanked the CV joints apart.
Had I known, I would have gladly payed for both axles and just put them on the shelf.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank the members here, especially Eljefino for the junkyard suggestion and Trav for steering me clear of the Moog parts I was originally looking at.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
That is strange they pulled the axles like that. You'd think those would be sell-able too.

Junk yards can be a great place to get parts. I must be a nightmare for a large company like MOOG to have people saying things about their parts. If a MOOG part isn't fitting it likely is a counterfeit. Here is a video I saw and it is too wordy but I think it represents what is going on out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpDJNDb6b9A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back