Tungsten Ravenol

Status
Not open for further replies.

V10

Any insight if Tungsten used in Ravenol has any detrimental effect on an engine. Wish BlackStone tested for it, at least for quantity purposes.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 34
Tungsten Disulfide is known to have an extremely low coefficient of friction, and is thought to 'coat' moving parts of the engine.
Millers Nanotech oils used this idea a few years ago - Maybe I'm a late adopter but I tried it once and went back to my moly/zinc comfort zone.

No, not to my knowledge. MoS2 and WS2 are very similar but WS2 has some better properties like load bearing capacity. Why it's not used more in finished engine lubricants is probably due to cost. Whereas Moly provides good enough (added) lubricity at a much cheaper cost?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by V10
Wish BlackStone tested for it, at least for quantity purposes.

Yes, it would be cool if we could say, "Wow, the Ravenol 10W-50 has a [nice slug/boatload] of tungsten".
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Olas
Tungsten Disulfide is known to have an extremely low coefficient of friction, and is thought to 'coat' moving parts of the engine.
Millers Nanotech oils used this idea a few years ago - Maybe I'm a late adopter but I tried it once and went back to my moly/zinc comfort zone.

Castrol used it over 40 years ago not that it had much anti wear benefit, more like advertising fluff.

[Linked Image]

I have it in my Mercedes E300 now. I chose the FDS version of Ravenol 5w-30 since it was MB Approval 229.6. Not cheap, like
$10.00 / Liter, but I'm very happy with it so far.

The engine is a TGDI 4 cyl and the Ravenol is largely PAO base (or so it says) therefore according to their website, very minimal VII are used.

After a short while running it, I can see a light gray coating developed on the surface of the Cam Lobes, which I am assuming is a result of the Tungsten Disulfide.
For what it's worth, I've also noticed an increase in fuel economy, and routinely see 40 mpg on the display, and average about 28 mpg on short trips here in Florida.

The current Tungsten chemistry is a tungstate called Dialkylammonium Tungstate, and is a Multi-Functional Anti-Wear, Friction Reducer, and Anti-Oxidant agent.

Where do we / the USA get tungsten , now a days ?

I heard on a documentary on the SR-71 , that we purchased tungsten from the USSR , through a shell/dummy corporation , to build the plane ?

Do we , currently , have a " friendlier source , now ?

Originally Posted by tundraotto
That was Titanium for the SR-71 project

We have tungsten.

Given that the density of tungsten is nearly double that of lead would make it a particularly poor choice for aircraft structure.

Yes we have a little titanium but not as much as others. I saw one article that said we have only one domestic source which accounts for 40% of the US demand. Here is apparently where we get the rest:

https://www.ustradenumbers.com/import/titanium-including-waste-and-scrap/

Originally Posted by MolaKule
The current Tungsten chemistry is a tungstate called Dialkylammonium Tungstate, and is a Multi-Functional Anti-Wear, Friction Reducer, and Anti-Oxidant agent.

Why, in your opinion, don't we see it used by more of the majors??

Yikes!

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by Olas

Castrol used it over 40 years ago not that it had much anti wear benefit, more like advertising fluff.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Good question! Maybe they are testing it to see if added metallic's such as this contribute to LSPI?
21.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by tundraotto
That was Titanium for the SR-71 project

We have tungsten.

Given that the density of tungsten is nearly double that of lead would make it a particularly poor choice for aircraft structure.

Yes we have a little titanium but not as much as others. I saw one article that said we have only one domestic source which accounts for 40% of the US demand. Here is apparently where we get the rest:

https://www.ustradenumbers.com/import/titanium-including-waste-and-scrap/

Tungsten's primary military application would be on armor piercing shells, such as the HVAP ammo that was in short supply in WWII used by the 76mm M1 gun on tank destroyers and upgraded Shermans...

In their relentless dive to the bottom concerning costs. Major oil brands utilize whatever meets bare testing minimums to reduce costs. That is why it cost $10 a liter for Ravenol and $2.50 a quart for Casstrol, M1 etc...

Originally Posted by sloinker
In their relentless dive to the bottom concerning costs. Major oil brands utilize whatever meets bare testing minimums to reduce costs. That is why it cost $10 a liter for Ravenol and $2.50 a quart for Casstrol, M1 etc...

By how much does the Ravenol exceed "bare minimums" and how do you tell?

Also where are you buying an equivalent Castrol (fixed that for you) or Mobil 1 product for $2.50 a quart?

Good question! Maybe they are testing it to see if added metallic's such as this contribute to LSPI?
21.gif

Contributes or mitigates? I know they're not technically the same but I've read some chemistry of moly actually helps mitigate lspi events.

Would you personally use tungsten in a tdi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back