Daytona 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome news watching him his whole career been in some big ones and bad ones so great to see him out he's always been such a advocate for safety in the sport can't wait to see him back on track and I personally think he will.

It definitely is a very, very good outcome here...

Many others it has not been so...

Jerry Nadeau survived... with permanent injury

Steve Park survived.... with permanent injury

Ryan is extremely fortunate..... And I am very very glad for that...

Right after this situation IF he was neurologically intact alert and oriented to person, place, time, and had positive movement and sensation in all 4 extremities, and was intact respiratory wise with spontaneous and unlabored breathing on his own with no c/o shortness of breath, and he had a fast yet tachycardia sinus heart rate.... ... with no major complaint of pain anywhere in his body.. .. Then...

He would have not been taken to the hospital and admitted in serious condition....

This was a serious situation for a bit there...

And I will gladly say that my bringing in what happens in regular highway circumstances was not appropriate in this circumstance... I was definitely wrong in doing that.... What happens at a speedway is very very different than what happens on a highway...

And I was wrong for putting that in that one post...

However if he was truly ok and stable then he would have been just taken to the infield care center and checked out and doing interviews after that accident.... Just like what Austin Dilion's massive wreck in the catch fence... Austin Dilion did exactly that after Dale Earnhardt Jr won that race at Daytona....

This has a good outcome....

And that is a great deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Ross Chastain in the #6 car for the Vegas race

So considering Ryan has 649 consecutive starts and a "start" and any points awarded is credited to the driver in the car at the time of the green flag. I wonder if Ryan would consider doing a lap and having Ross take over.

02SE....

At some point and time you may well read the following...

I am sorry for upsetting you the other evening... What I stated there in the one post appearing to make a correlation between what happens on a regular highway very bad situation and a superspeedway situation was not the right thing to say or do at all...

It intimated that superspeedway situation and a highway situation meant the same thing... And that was definitely wrong on my part that I did that... I honestly did not mean to say or intimate that... I really did not mean it like that...

I am sorry for not thinking about that at the time I posted that...

02SE I have thought of you.... Believe it or not... Those posts you have placed on here about people you know who have passed away... I have read all of those... And I have thought to myself that you do understand what I have gone through too.

02SE I came upon a terrible accident where a car barrel rolled a number of times running from the local police... No EMTs no else there but the officer and those young guys . I get out of my car and ask the officer if anyone needs any help... He tells me one of them needs a lot of help... I crawl into the car... Find a young fella... Not talking no moaning... Nothing... I check for a pulse none. . I get my little light out of my pocket and look up to see that young guy is gone... Fixed and dilated... His head evidently smashed through the window and his head hit the asphalt as that car rolled over and over... I get out if the car... His 3 friends asking if their friend is ok... The officer tells them "no, your buddy is dead". To which I shake my head in agreement... Those guys had picked a fight with someone at the local Walmart.. Then those guys followed that guy to his house... He then called the police... and then the chase was on..To see a 18-20 year guy dead and gone for nothing... Absolutely nothing.... No good reason... That was hard to take. .

02SE I had 16 patients that I had cared for over a year and a half pass away in a 3 month period of time. It was very hard on me.... It is an honor for a lady you have taken care of for over a year and a half and she tells you she loves you.... It's hard knowing that the condition they are in and knowing that they will leave this world and I will not see them again. It tough on you.... But I believe it is what I should do... To treat those patients like they are my own...

And you have been through that too in these past years...

02SE I listened to my own father's lung sounds with my Littman cardiology III stethoscope on a Friday January 8th... They sounded surprisingly clear in all fields.... Then the next day on Saturday I listened to his chest again and I knew instantly he was going to die within the next 11-24 hours. I looked up at the hospice provider and shook my head knowing what was the circumstance. He passed away January 10th 2010 at 6 am. I also gave my family members instructions when to give him morphine and Ativan... That was not easy either. But I had to do it because it was my place to do so.
A month later I had to tell my mom that the person she loved more than anyone was not going to make it... Hardest thing I have ever had to do. I knew what the lab results meant... My grandmother was septic and her renal failure was so severe that she just could not overcome it... And no IV antibiotic medications could be given because of her renal failure. However... I am glad it was me and no one else...

In my job I have had to be the one to tell people what the circumstances really were in regards to their loved one. That is far, far, far harder than telling someone that their loved one has passed away... I had a daughter who's father was 94 years old and had a whole lot going on physically. He was tired... And yet his daughter wanted to get him up out of bed and take him across the building to have dinner. I took the time of 20 plus minutes with her holding her hand and explaining to her that her father's time was very short... That conversation went very well considering everything... Her father passed away 30 hours later. She happened to come in my building 6 months later and she gave me a hug and thanked me for the time I took with her... It was the right thing to do... No one else had done that...
I have had to do that many times in the past years. It is a very difficult conversation to have with someone

02SE I am a realist by nature... I tend to say what I think is real.

I also do believe amazing things can and do happen... I think back to the NASCAR wreck where Stanley Smith had a near basilar skull fracture.... And it just happened that a trama physician was in the infield out near turn 2 who cane out to help the first responders... This physician had a belief that Stanley Smith had experienced that in his accident. This physician knew what needed to be done and not done to keep Stanley Smith alive. . That was truly amazing...

I think back to Alex Zanardi in his accident... One of the first responders knew what needed to be done immediately to save Alex's life.... And he did it almost instantly... By that action he saved him... What if people had been there and they didn't know what needed to be done?? Alex would not have survived. Again... Amazing happened that day.

I had a lady patient Ms. B who had never spoken to me for 8-9 months... But I always talked to her... Put my arm around her.. took my time with her.. And then one afternoon after I gave her medications to her as I left the room she said, "thank you" plain as day... I just about fell over.... It was truly something... It also reminded me of what my aunt Irene had told me years before..." Bradley they always hear you, they know your presence".... That right there proved that beyond any doubt.

Yet again, 02SE I do sincerely apologise for not being much, much more mindful in what I put in that one post...

I know you have been through a lot in these past number of years... And that you did not need to see what I had put in that one post. It was not appropriate to the situation.

I am not perfect.... Far, far, far, far, far, far, far from it...

But I try to be honest enough to own my own mistakes...

And I made one here in that one post... One that you did not need to see or read...

I hope that when the time comes and you read this you can hear what I am trying to articulate here... That I am a flawed man who has hard headed and foolish and sometimes downright dumb as I can be at times...

There's more to this person typing this... A person who has seen a lot, a person who has been through a whole, whole lot, a person who actually does think of others, and a person who tries to care for others like they are my own.

Last edited:
What I wonder about with Ryan Newman is long term effects of that crash. I suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) while I was in the military. I was feeling normal within a week, but over the years, the symptoms have showed up and gotten worse. Severe headaches that last for days at a time, both short and long term memory loss, blurred vision, tinnitus, difficulty focusing or staying on task, and so on.

I'm sure he has a follow-up care plan in place. If he was knocked unconscious during the accident, that's what I would be worried about long term though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back