Is Fuel system cleaner efficient??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Egypt and our gasoline has more Sulfur and octane number isn't accurate plus gas stations normally don't clean underground tanks so gasoline carries residuals sometimes.

so is it useful to use Fuel system cleaner with specific interval to keep things right as possible or they are not efficient as should?

if yes, would you list brands recommendations and adding intervals?

First choice would be Redline SI1 - one full bottle once a year, and 100ml per tankful for the rest of the year.

Second choice would be a two-stroke oil made from PIB

I don't know that you can remove sulfur from the fuel with a pour in treatment. I think it requires a catalyst of some kind during the refining process, but maybe I'm wrong and there's something out there that I've never heard of. Does Egypt not have standards for octane and low sulfur? Can you find a better fueling station that can provide low sulfur fuel? High SO2 in the exhaust stream is def' not good for the catalyst (noble metal), so I would get on top of this issue.

As for solids finding their way into your tank a fuel system cleaner won't do much about that. Again, find a reputable service station that changes their pump filters regularly and you keep an eye on your fuel filter so that the pump doesn't end up dying prematurely from working too hard because of a clogged filter.

You could use aftermarket octane boosters if you feel you're not getting the octane your car requires or Google toluene and fuel? You could dose your own fuel with a few ozs of toluene to raise your octane.

From BP for example 👇.. like I said, Google it for more info.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I think OP is accepting that the sulfur is there, he just wants to clean up after it.

We had sulfur in unleaded fuel in the 1990s, more than we do now. Owners manuals used to say the catalytic converter would smell funny if there was a lot of it.

GM had issues with fuel gauge senders getting covered in (something) and Techron was the fix to get the gauge working again.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I don't know that you can remove sulfur from the fuel with a pour in treatment. I think it requires a catalyst of some kind during the refining process, but maybe I'm wrong and there's something out there that I've never heard of. Does Egypt not have standards for octane and low sulfur? Can you find a better fueling station that can provide low sulfur fuel? High SO2 in the exhaust stream is def' not good for the catalyst (noble metal), so I would get on top of this issue.

As for solids finding their way into your tank a fuel system cleaner won't do much about that. Again, find a reputable service station that changes their pump filters regularly and you keep an eye on your fuel filter so that the pump doesn't end up dying prematurely from working too hard because of a clogged filter.

You could use aftermarket octane boosters if you feel you're not getting the octane your car requires or Google toluene and fuel? You could dose your own fuel with a few ozs of toluene to raise your octane.

[Linked Image]

thanks for for replying. though, i probably confused people instead of clearing the situation ...
lets start over ....

i want to know if fuel system cleaners useful to clean the fuel system from carbon residuals over pistons, valves, injectors etc, .. or they are just marketing without efficiency??

Any cleaner with PEA in it will help. Not sure you have top tier brand stations there. But they guarantee a decent amount of detergents in the gas. (top tier may ve a U. S thing though)

Originally Posted by ZZman
Any cleaner with PEA in it will help. Not sure you have top tier brand stations there. But they guarantee a decent amount of detergents in the gas. (top tier may ve a U. S thing though)

would you explain what are (PEA, U. S)?

Go to Wikipedia and search for PEA or check out the following link. Chevron is one of the more popular brands of fuel system cleaner containing PEA (I believe they were the first to use it commercially) but they are by no means the only brand that uses it. "Techron" is Chevron's trademarked name for PEA. Also note that you may not always see "PEA" or "polyetheramine" listed on a products MSDS, as companies aren't required to disclose proprietary/trade secrets on a MSDS.

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/techron-complete-fuel-system-cleaner.html

Last edited:
It sounds like the greater risk is contaminants in the fuel from poorly maintained underground tanks. This requires a mechanical filtration like a secondary fuel fitration system rather than a chemical such as PEA, right? Not that I am against PEA, I use the product with success.

As for sulfur content affecting catalytic converters. Several countries do not adhere to stringent Clean Air Standards and vehicles are not equipped with the same emissions equipment such as a Catalytic Converter nor do they have Emissions testing facilities to confirm a vehicle owner has not removed their CC if it has been damaged by fuel products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Omar_Eltahan
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

[Linked Image]

thanks for for replying. though, i probably confused people instead of clearing the situation ...
lets start over ....

i want to know if fuel system cleaners useful to clean the fuel system from carbon residuals over pistons, valves, injectors etc, .. or they are just marketing without efficiency??

Redline SI1. Marketing WITH sgificant efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back