New gaming build shutting down on Metro 2033

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by Cujet
Thanks all,

Can I try running the video card from an external PS? The 2080 has dual power inlets. Or does the MB tell the PS to turn on all at once?

I don't think so, or at least I'm not aware of the method. Normally you can jump two pins on the 24 pin connector to turn the PSU on, but I only used this method to see if the fan spins. I'm not sure if the jumper will actually make the PSU fully functional.

You will have to connect the CPU, mother board, gpu and system drive at the very list to the new PSU in order for the system to boot.

You can definitely jumper the PSU to life, I've done it a pile of times.

Cool and good to know it actually powers on the PSU properly. Thanks for your, as usual, helpful info.

No problem! I've used that little hack in a pinch to power a hard drive when a system lacked sufficient plugs. I also had a standalone USB hard drive adapter that had problems with some large, old drives and high RPM drives like the WD Raptor, so using a PSU to run them worked a lot better.

I'd say classic overloaded power supply.. that is a budget power supply.

A good brand name 80+ gold certified 750w should be enough but I would probably get an 850w.

Purchased an EVGA 1000G+ PS at BestBuy. It's clearly twice the weight and has some really nice cables.
Originally Posted by Rand
I'd say classic overloaded power supply.. that is a budget power supply.

A good brand name 80+ gold certified 750w should be enough but I would probably get an 850w.

I just purchased an EVGA 1000G+ PS at BestBuy. It's clearly twice the weight and has some really nice cables. I'm hopeful that it solves the problem.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Purchased an EVGA 1000G+ PS at BestBuy. It's clearly twice the weight and has some really nice cables.

I just purchased an EVGA 1000G+ PS at BestBuy. It's clearly twice the weight and has some really nice cables. I'm hopeful that it solves the problem.

Droolworthy, nice piece.

So far, it's working wonderfully.

However, I've lost the escape key during the game.... Hmmmm. Maybe all the wild shutdowns corrupted something. The key works at other times.

I'm using a TX850M with a i7-7700K (no OC), 1080ti card. Zero issues.

However, airflow through my case is very clean, and I am using liquid cooling.

I would check out your airflow also.

Are you using a stock i9 cooling? Intel chips run HOT. IMO, you should just liquid cool them and skip the hassle.

Your issue sounds to me most similar to CPU overheating. I went through t hat with my AMD Phenom II that I was using in my guest room. It was obviously OLD, and the heat-sinc fins were literally FULL of dust. ZERO airflow. After I cleaned it out...boom. Flawless.

Anyway, just a though. Need to go liquid if you aren't. If you ARE...man, I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Ws6

Anyway, just a though. Need to go liquid if you aren't. If you ARE...man, I got nothin'

LQ is a waste if you're not overclocking or minimizing fan noise. The hassle of possible leaks and more maintenance, even in a AIO setup, is rarely a benefit in anything more than extreme/special cases.

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by Ws6

LQ is a waste if you're not overclocking or minimizing fan noise. The hassle of possible leaks and more maintenance, even in a AIO setup, is rarely a benefit in anything more than extreme/special cases.

Interesting. I've enjoyed very stable performance from mine. Going on 2+ years no with no issues. What problems are you concerned with, regarding maintenance?

I'm using a Noctua NH D15 air cooler for the CPU. It's very effective, as CPU temps during gaming are superb. So far, CPU temps hover around 50c during gaming and peak at 59c. I'll crank the system up some and see what happens.

The fans seem to stay at low speed.

So far, so good.

Noctua air cooler is better than some lousy all in one liquid cooler.

Glad you figured out the issue, Corsair makes some good stuff and some real junk.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Interesting. I've enjoyed very stable performance from mine. Going on 2+ years no with no issues. What problems are you concerned with, regarding maintenance?

Leaks and the occasional empty + refill (if on a DIY and not a AIO.) Not that they're bad and it's pretty rare to have an issue nowadays, I just rather not have to deal with the issues that could happen. Although I'm not going to hide that I have secretly browsed LQ setups on more than one occasion but I don't OC my i5-8600k so that would totally be a waste for me. Think of all the oil changes I could do with that money!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by Ws6

LQ is certainly not a waste of time, but you have to be motivated to build them.
I have two Koolance Liquid cooling systems- one of them has been going for about 12+ years, the other for about 6-7 years. These are full-case integrated systems, so perhaps a bit more reliable than the average LQ kit.
Very nice if you want to seriously overclock your rig- I had an i7-3820 rated for 3.6 ghz that I could regularly OC to 4.6 ghz. I just upgraded to a i7-4960x but I have not seriously tried to overclock it yet: it also ran at 4.6 for a few tests but I put it back to stock for the time being. I will probably do a full mobo upgrade in the next year for a new i9 or a AMD Ryzen, so the 4960x was just to get more cores and bigger L2 cache.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Noctua air cooler is better than some lousy all in one liquid cooler.

Glad you figured out the issue, Corsair makes some good stuff and some real junk.

My rig had an H55 already installed, and it seems up to the task and is absurdly quiet. My 1080Ti is 3x as loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back