why did my Ford iolm go to 9% after 3k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TTK
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Brybo86
I the highway driving done while the engine is still cold? Is your house 1 block from the freeway on ramp?

No but I don't exactly wait to push the car before it's warmed up sometimes.

And yes, I correctly reset it to 0% with the last oil change.

If it counts down are you not supposed to set it to 100% at oil change?

Sorry, that's what I meant. I reset it correctly.

I will check in Forscan if I have any options. But I'm pretty sure this car has intelligent oil life monitor. Not just a counter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TTK
If it counts down are you not supposed to set it to 100% at oil change?

FWIW, you can select 100% and 3-4 other increments to 'start' from. 100% is the default and dogememe would have had to purposely pick any of the others, which I doubt happened.

When you were sleeping the other night someone drove your car around in first gear. Hours and hours on the rev limiter is why its at 9% right now.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
When you were sleeping the other night someone drove your car around in first gear. Hours and hours on the rev limiter is why its at 9% right now.

I test the rev limiter and speed governor several times a week so I'm not sure why I'd let anyone else do it.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Time, I bet. My IOLM is real sensitive to inactivity.

My short tripping doesn't affect it much; I don't drive it hard:

Interesting. The car does sit for a while sometimes. I went on a two week road trip in someone else's truck and I drive my Suburban sometimes. I think you're right... what a dumb system.

Last edited:
cold starts and short trips under 10 miles have a big impact on oil life.
poor qaulity fuel and blowby also have a measurable impact on oil life
the system of measurement used by the car may be accurate, or it may be complete nonsense.

send a sample to blackstone to reassure yourself.

Interesting. The car does sit for a while sometimes. I went on a two week road trip in someone else's truck and I drive my Suburban sometimes. I think you're right... what a dumb system.

Some of these systems are dumb, and can waste oil or push an OCI too high. Like I said earlier, "all we can do is guess." So once again, the only way to be sure is do a UOA, that will tell you if your OLM/IOLM is accurate, or if you should ignore it.

How long has it been in time ? Many Fords (cars ?) will dictate a 12-month oil change regardless of mileage. So over time if your mileage isn't keeping up (~10k miles typically) vs time, the monitor will start adjusting or dropping in percentage quicker.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

How long has it been in time ? Many Fords (cars ?) will dictate a 12-month oil change regardless of mileage. So over time if your mileage isn't keeping up (~10k miles typically) vs time, the monitor will start adjusting or dropping in percentage quicker.

I've driven a lot less on this OCI than I usually do. But it hasn't even been 6 months yet. I usually drive 3-4x as much. Before, when the car was doing a lot more highway trips I'd just reset the OLM and do my oil changes based on when it was convenient for me or I felt like it. I have good UOAs about 12k miles. But that's all long highway trips and other people driving the car. Not me, with the way I drive. So they don't apply at all. Now that I am driving the car I've been doing 7500mi oil changes. I really just don't want to dump this Magnatec at 3500 miles.

Last edited:
Randomly deciding to trust it or not doesn't seem like a good plan without understanding why it's triggering a shorter OCI.

Honda published their methodology and its really pretty smart, I had heard its similar to GM's and Fords, but have never seen Fords.

Id see if I could find the algorithm and take a look.

Dave

I've driven a lot less on this OCI than I usually do. But it hasn't even been 6 months yet.

My money says the Focus has a 6-month limit on oil changes regardless of mileage. Our Fusion has a 12-month limit or 8-10k miles, whichever comes first.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

Randomly deciding to trust it or not doesn't seem like a good plan without understanding why it's triggering a shorter OCI.

Honda published their methodology and its really pretty smart, I had heard its similar to GM's and Fords, but have never seen Fords.

Id see if I could find the algorithm and take a look.

Dave

If we can find the algorithm, I'd love it. Currently just vague info from Ford that it incorporates short trips, high load, extreme temps, etc.

I just checked the oil and it looks ok, doesn't smell particularly gassy, and it's still at the exact full mark.

I just checked the oil and it looks ok, doesn't smell particularly gassy, and it's still at the exact full mark.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to your normal interval (5000 miles, I think you said earlier). Does the Escape let you reset the % to different values ? Or, just track it manually....

I wouldn't hesitate to go to your normal interval (5000 miles, I think you said earlier). Does the Escape let you reset the % to different values ? Or, just track it manually....

7500 miles is what I'm aiming for.

Your location and driving habits have changed so don't be too surprised. Most OLMs are conservative in order to account for neglectful owners, which you clearly are not. Do the service and be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back