A new topper for my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I humbly seek information from all of your collective knowledge and wisdom. Considering purchasing a new fiberglass topper for the truck noted below in my signature. It will likely be an entry level topper. Local truck accessory dealer's in my area have the A.R.E. , Century, and Leer brand names available. The Leer starts out at $1500, with the other two about $2,000. After some research online it would appear the Leer topper is of poor quality, unlike the Leer's of the past. They offer a 1 year warranty on paint. The A.R.E. offers a limited lifetime warranty on paint and seems to be a better quality product. Not sure about the Century. I ask you for your thoughts. Is the Century and A.R.E. worth the extra $500? I intend to drive my Tacoma until it rusts out or just falls apart.

I think you should spend the extra 500 bucks. You are going to be living with this topper for a long time. Might as well get the one the limited lifetime warranty.

I used to work for all three, really two because the Leer and Century come from the same company, TAG.. The Leer and Century come out of the same molds, just have different features. Usually though the Century cost less than the Leer. The ARE, owned by Truck Hero, will take weeks and weeks to get, Your selling dealer is a lot more important than the warranty on any of them.

Originally Posted by c502cid
I used to work for all three, really two because the Leer and Century come from the same company, TAG.. The Leer and Century come out of the same molds, just have different features. Usually though the Century cost less than the Leer. The ARE, owned by Truck Hero, will take weeks and weeks to get, Your selling dealer is a lot more important than the warranty on any of them.

Good info right there. Since you worked there how would you rate them?

I thought toppers went out with the 90's. I hardly ever see them anymore. Why do you need a topper that a tonneau cover wouldn't do for less money and better looks?

I have an ARE, and it's great. Upgrades you might like and are easy to overlook when purchasing... The interior lamp that automatically turns on when you open the rear window, and the front window that folds in. (makes it easy to clean the panes of glass between the cap and cab)

I like a topper because I can fit taller items in the bed than a tonneau allows, and still keep it out of the weather. We haul a lot of toys with us to the cottage, and it's a snap to pile up the luggage, bikes, food, etc. Also, a good place to sleep in a pinch if the camping trip didn't work out exactly as planned...

Originally Posted by atikovi
I thought toppers went out with the 90's. I hardly ever see them anymore. Why do you need a topper that a tonneau cover wouldn't do for less money and better looks?

Better looks is arguable.

I did the cover and then a topper, and on my full size I think I still prefer it. If I go down to a small truck I might go to a cover though. On a full size I can't reach over the bed, and I don't want to lift anything into the bed that would be taller than the topper. At that point a full enclosure works good enough for me-- I can toss in trash cans, stack boxes to the ceiling, and nothing gets wet in the rain. As you can guess, my truck gets used more as a van. YMMV, but I think it looks better with the topper too.

I don't lock mine but there is that too--a cheap cover is easy to slash open.

I certainly couldn't bring myself to pay full retail for a topper, only got mine when I found it at a salvage yard for $200 installed.

I'd personally look for a used one. The new ones lose at least half their value as soon as you put it on the truck. You can find a great deal on a used one that matches your truck if you're patient.
I had bought a used one (can't remember the brand) off craigslist for my 2010 F150 for $300. It fit great and looked great, but was flush with the top of the cab and I decided I needed a taller one. Ordered a brand new century for over $1800 and it was the biggest pile of junk in my opinion. Several leaks from the windows when it rained, and looked like it was slapped together at quitting time on a Friday. Never fit the truck quite right either. There was a large gap on the driver's side where the front corner of the cap stuck out too far. Tried going back to where I bought it, and the guy who was happy to take my money for the purchase, turns into the biggest condescending jerk I've ever met. He tried telling me all the issues are "normal." Told me that of course it's going to leak water around the windows because they all leak when you add the carpeted liner option. I said well, you could have told me that when you were taking my money and I would't have paid extra for an option that causes leaks! Then he went on to talk about how his truck and the cap on it are better than mine, and a bunch of other ridiculous stuff. Left him a bad review on yelp and then he starts sending me harassing emails because I left a bad review.

Anyway I ended up selling it at a big loss because I just couldn't stand to look at it anymore. It was maybe 8 months old and I think I got $800 for it. Still blows my mind that the $300 used cap was much better quality than a new one that cost $1800. Ended up buying a Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, which I absolutely love.

My 2011 F150 that I just bought recently came with a Jason cap on it, which seems ok so far. I did have to replace the lock and the door lift supports, as they were worn out, but that is easy to do. Might keep it on there for now since it came with the truck, but I will never buy a new cap again.

Originally Posted by supton

Better looks is arguable.

To me it's kinda like mud flaps. Toppers give the vehicle a grampa vibe.

I'm driving a Camry and am well into my 40's. I might as well accept it!

Twice the volume of lockable storage over a tonneau.

I currently have an ARE on my Silverado and the paint match with the Red tintcoat on the truck is spot on.

I have owned all 3 of those brands and rate them in this order

1) ARE
2) Century
10) Leer

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by c502cid

Good info right there. Since you worked there how would you rate them?

I'd probably lean towards the ARE but in reality they are equal. The chances of any of them having minor issues is pretty big though, that's why a friendly and willing dealer is so important. While the paint match to factory is great these days (and was a HUGE issue in the past), the manufacturing process of spraying fiberglass is still a highly manual operation. Paying more is just for features, especially windows and doors, it doesn't buy you any better quality or paint.

Originally Posted by supton

I'm driving a Camry and am well into my 40's. I might as well accept it!

I said grampa, not grandma.
lol.gif

I had a Leer on my F150 when I had it. Loved it, but it wasn't cheap. I am a grandpa, so fit right in.

The topper has more space if not more functionality. If you don't like the looks and don't need it choose the tonneau instead.

No need to insult folks on their needs or their taste in appearance.

I've heard it said that guys who put caps ( W Pa term) on trucks are just too cheap to buy an SUV in the first place. I've owned lots of trucks with caps. Never thought I was making a cheap Suburban. I've owned a couple of Subs too and never tried to haul a load of dirt or gravel in one.

I had Leers on two trucks in the mid 90's. They were considered among the best then. Sorry to hear that quality might have slipped since then.

I had one put on my 01 Tacoma when new. I love it, but they drilled holes to bolt it on. Guess where the only rust is on my 19 YO truck...Try to avoid that. And get the best gasket/seal they offer, and test it for leaks. Also I got the flip up side windows rather than sliders, much more convenient. Try for 1 key fits all locks. And I got a slider window in the front to match my slide window in my truck. With them both open I've hauled some really looooong stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back