New platinum beta ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the forum has figured out the the Napa platinum filters have poor efficiency at B2=20. I continue to think this has to be incorrect.
I called Wix again today and asked for engineering or tech to find out. They put me to regular customer service but the lady on the phone did go find out for me.
She says the 50% at 20 microns is incorrect and should read B2/20=12/75. I have no clue what that means and wanted someone to translate that to English for me.

I could tell you what the beta equivalent efficiency is, but better to figure it using the chart. For comparison many Wix/Napa Gold are 2/20=6/20

First two numbers in ratio are the percent efficient in the chart (b value), 2 and/ 20. Second two numbers right side of = are the micron levels, 12 and/ 75. 2 goes with the 12... 20 goes with the 75. As for topic, been beaten to death imo. In my observation folks that like them are going to use them. Folks that don't won't.

[Linked Image from media.noria.com]

Originally Posted by Imp4
Google oil filter beta ratios.

Beta ratio's are simple ...

Then try and interpret WIX's reporting format, which is the problem.

Does the quoted ratio mean 50 % efficient for particles 12 mu, and 95 % efficient for particles 75 mu ... ?

Or something else ?

The WIX Platinum 7712 on my Subaru seems to work just fine, WHATEVER the actual efficiency is ...

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by Imp4
Google oil filter beta ratios.

Beta ratio's are simple ...

Then try and interpret WIX's reporting format, which is the problem.

Does the quoted ratio mean 50 % efficient for particles 12 mu, and 95 % efficient for particles 75 mu ... ?

Or something else ?

Yes, in WIX speak, B2/20=12/75 means 50% @ 12μ and 95% @ 75μ.

I'd say 95% @ 75μ is no better (maybe even worse) than 50 @ 20μ. I thought some other source said something like 99% @ 40μ, but not sure. 95% @ 75μ sounds pretty bad. Especially when the regular WIX is 95% @ 20μ.

Usually WIX will tell you it's "propriatary information", so surprised they gave out the efficiency info.

^^^ Hard to say since the OP talked directly to WIX Customer Service. Can't get anymore direct than that.

Seems WIX is all over the place with technical info.

Using information that has come word or mouth of Wix CS posted this sub forum in the past as basis, stand with previous notation. With 'if' as choice condition and not caring one way or the other which it is.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I could tell you what the beta equivalent efficiency is, but better to figure it using the chart. For comparison many Wix/Napa Gold are 2/20=6/20

First two numbers in ratio are the percent efficient in the chart (b value), 2 and/ 20. Second two numbers right side of = are the micron levels, 12 and/ 75. 2 goes with the 12... 20 goes with the 75. As for topic, been beaten to death imo. In my observation folks that like them are going to use them. Folks that don't won't.

[Linked Image from media.noria.com]

Using that chart I read the 75 as being 98.667% instead of being a micron size. The reason I asked for help reading this is because I thought it would mean
50% at 12 microns and 98.7% at 20 microns. I thought that was pretty good and wanted to make sure I'm figuring it right.

If WIX doesn't know their filters efficiency specs, then nobody knows. If people working on the WIX tech line don't have accurate info to give out, then they need more training or someone in charge of that department that knows what's going on, and run the department accordingly.

Does appear O'R media description incorrect. Does that automatically mean efficiency information inaccurate too?

Here the latest bit of information out Wix CS posted this subforum recently. That's just the latest example. I can't consider them a reliable source of information either.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...unable-to-use-full-synthetic-with-filter

As for beta chart, refer to outright answer provided to geeman.

Originally Posted by JiL
Are numbers getting transposed?

from: http://www.alcofilters.com/getattachment/fb40cbb0-1ae3-4858-8476-ed5606586815/Micron-Rating.aspx/

"β5/10/20 = 2/20/75. In this example, the media tested removed 50% of 5-micrometer or micron size particles, 95% of 10-micrometer or micron size particles and 98.7% of 20-micrometer or micron size particles presented to it."

By that method: β2/20 = 12/75 means 2μ @ 91.7% and 20μ @ 98.7%.

Nope, not transposed. WIX has its own beta ratio format - they don't follow industry standards of beta ratio format. It's been discussed many times.

Besides, no spin-on filter is 91.7% @ 2μ.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I know that the forum has figured out the the Napa platinum filters have poor efficiency at B2=20. I continue to think this has to be incorrect.
I called Wix again today and asked for engineering or tech to find out. They put me to regular customer service but the lady on the phone did go find out for me.
She says the 50% at 20 microns is incorrect and should read B2/20=12/75. I have no clue what that means and wanted someone to translate that to English for me.

I wonder if it really was B2/75= 12/20....

Hard to believe that it would be 50 percent efficient at 12 microns yet take it all the way up to 75 microns to even be 95 percent...

The Gold being 50 percent at 6 microns and yet 95 percent at 20 microns...

The Hastings oil filter efficiency I got in a direct call to the was absolute efficiency aka 75 beta at 45 microns.... And nominal aka 50 percent at 23 microns... That at least makes sense...

50 percent nominal efficiency at 12 microns ..... It would be absolute efficiency well before 75 microns I'd bet......

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by mpgo4th

I wonder if it really was B2/75= 12/20....

Good stab at a possible explanation bbhero.

But I highly doubt it's 98.7% @ 20μ when WIX itself use to advertise it as 50% @ 20μ (on their wesite and on the phone).

If it's improved that much, WIX should be plastering it all over thier website to try and get some sales away from the Ultra.

When people here use to call WIX not too long ago to get the efficiency of the Platinum, WIX would say it was "propriatary information", which is a ridiculous deflection answer.

Maybe they changed the media and it's a lot better now. Guess the real answer will surface with more time.

The "beta" ratings for oil filters are mathematically the same as SPFs for sunscreen. In both cases, under some standardized test condition, the fraction of undesired item that gets through the barrier equals the inverse of the quoted number. Simply stating the percentage that gets through would be less confusing to innumerate customers---and less misleading than 1 minus that fraction, aka, "efficiency."

Wix's goofy format looks like deliberate obfuscation.

The Wix Platinum and Champ Labs synthetic filter media sure looks the same with the same kind of wire backing. It may be bought from the same supplier. It would be unusual for two separate companies to accidentally use the same wire backing and same white color synthetic media. Can't know for sure but it seems that it could be. The Champ is 98.7% at 20 for those using that test.
98.7 can be rounded to 99 which is what other companies can do to make it sound better.

Hastings and Baldwin filters for this same application is 9.8 nominal and 27 absolute. I have this conformed by email from their customer service.

"These are the same filters as the Hastings - they are all 9.8 (nominal), 27 (absolute) micron ratings"

Teresa Reeder

Catalog Production Supervisor

Parker Hannifin Corporation

Engine Mobile Aftermarket Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back