Apple watch - high data usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife got an Apple watch about a month ago. Looking at traffic info on my router, it is downloading 7-8 GB of data per day. It seems to be doing it at night while she is sleeping. What in the world is it doing and how to stop it?

That sounds crazy, does it even connect to a wifi network by itself? I have one (that I don't use because I don't like wearing a watch) and I thought that unless you have a cellular data model it has to connect through your phone to access the web? I thought it has "wifi" but that is only to connect to the phone, not directly to your network.

Interesting, I'll need to check mine...

They will self-update. My observation with Apple is that a failed or stalled download will start all over again. Multiple,failed downloads of an OS (iOS is now like 4.7GB to download) could possibly do it. Does she have anything else set up to sync?

That does seem excessive. My guess would be that it is apps on the watch being updated overnight, but I wouldn't think that this would occur every night.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
How much data does her iPhone use?

Anywhere from 1 GB to 10 GB per day, depending on how much video streaming she does in any given day.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

They will self-update. My observation with Apple is that a failed or stalled download will start all over again. Multiple,failed downloads of an OS (iOS is now like 4.7GB to download) could possibly do it. Does she have anything else set up to sync?

I agree that failed update attempts may be the culprit here, since it appears to be happening at night. The watch will only update while on the dock and near the paired iphone. At least my wife's watch is like this.

I would try to update it manually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by JHZR2

I agree that failed update attempts may be the culprit here, since it appears to be happening at night. The watch will only update while on the dock and near the paired iphone. At least my wife's watch is like this.

I would try to update it manually.

Thanks. Will tell her to try.

Although, according to the below link, these updates are not that big, significantly below 1 GB, so that doesn't exactly explain what I'm seeing, unless it just keeps re-downloading the same update over and over.

https://www.gottabemobile.com/heres-how-long-the-watchos-6-update-takes-to-finish/

7-8 gig of data is quite a lot, even if it's trying to update or sync.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Wife got an Apple watch about a month ago. Looking at traffic info on my router, it is downloading 7-8 GB of data per day. It seems to be doing it at night while she is sleeping. What in the world is it doing and how to stop it?

Call Apple, they are easy to get in touch with and an overall pleasant experience, best of all free since its a new product. = Problem solved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back