7500hrs on the cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only about 150,000 miles though. Gotta love that city driving. Starting to wonder when an injector is going to let go.

Looks like you are keeping up with maintenance. These Cummins run forever. The rest of the truck always wears out first. How does the rest of the truck look.

That engine is not even 1/2 worn out. They are also designed to be rebuilt. Usually good for 400,000 miles before the 1st rebuild. However the rest of the truck will be far worn out. The seat, steering, suspension, body and frame, etc.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Is it time for a new truck or does this engine have more life left? Doesn't burn oil

More life left. Anything else, in case we are all left wondering??

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Is it time for a new truck or does this engine have more life left? Doesn't burn oil

More life left. Anything else, in case we are all left wondering??

There's always more.

Only about 150,000 miles though. Gotta love that city driving. Starting to wonder when an injector is going to let go.

7500 isn't anything for that. There are guys driving 6.0 gasser Caprices around with 11,000 to 14,000 hours when retired from police service.
You have lots to go.

Rule of thumb for the Caprice is every hour of idle time is about 33 miles. Does your truck break it up like that?

Think my real dad that works/worked on tractor trailers and diesel trucks said "it's barely broken in"

Originally Posted by ls1mike

7500 isn't anything for that. There are guys driving 6.0 gasser Caprices around with 11,000 to 14,000 hours when retired from police service.
You have lots to go.

Rule of thumb for the Caprice is every hour of idle time is about 33 miles. Does your truck break it up like that?

I can only see total hrs and miles, but if you have the Chrysler starscan you can see idle time. Last I heard though though was it was anything 1100 rpm and below was considered idling and didn't seem to matter if you were moving or not. 1100 rpm for this truck means I'm going 45mph. Lol unless it just breaks it down into percentages for the entire rpm range like they do on an outboard motor.

I sold a duramax that was on original injection system at 11,000hrs and 265,000mi. No signs of anything wearing out or needing replacement other than the power steering pump and maybe a thermostat starting to hang open a little. Nothing other than routine maintenance and the normal front end parts for the rest of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back