2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 V6 Blown up engine 109k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
With the talk about questionable Hyuindai engines , how about the Kia cars / engines .

Cousin of ours bought one a year or two ago & I wjsh them all the best .

One in the same - imagine it like GM/Buick/Cadillac. Hyundai Elantra = Kia Forte, Hyundai Sonata = Kia Optima, etc. etc. Might be some slight variations, for example last Kia Forte had engines you could not get in the Elantra.

Originally Posted by 1911CHAMPION
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
Any news on this one yet?

NOPE! Still @ the engine rebuild shop. Same lame excuse last week when I called.
"Can't get gaskets from dealer and the ones they ordered from California were supposed to ship on the 11th" I'm giving them another call in about 45 minutes to figure out what the heck is going on...

Their repair bay is occupied with my vehicle and I have their loaner (which they've asked repeatedly for me to return because other customers need loaners; at which point I replied ‘and this is my problem because...?').

That is so funny, and what a great response to them. Its like daaaa you have my car that I need to use to get to work, the store etc. I know you don't want to po them, but I would have said that and also have said are you serious, I thought mechanics were smarter than that.

FINALLY!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!
19.gif

We picked up the Santa Fe on Friday 2-21.
The excuse regarding the gaskets came down to this; the dealership in California that was supposed to ship them delayed the shipment 4 times and then when they showed up finally they were the wrong ones.
The Engine shop had to source the engine gaskets from a Dealer in Cleveland and they finished engine assembly the week of 2-17.

It's running and driving. Engine sounds great and NO rattles of any kind at cold startup. First oil change will be due in 500 miles. I'll wait a couple of 5,000 mile OC intervals, 2 maybe, before sending in a sample for analysis and will post the results then.

Thanks for all the suggestions, support, concern, opinions (OK some of them, honestly, you could have kept to yourself
lol.gif
)...
I will update down the road if anything goes BOOM!
21.gif

Till then... Happy Happy Happy! (Wife = Happy Happy Happy)

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

Just bought a 2020 Tundra with an engine design that is 13 years old and while considered very dependable they still have a known issue with cam-tower leaks that has been occurring the entire 13 years. There are no perfect engine designs regardless of manufacturer.

I disagree...
wink.gif

[Linked Image]

OP glad you got it all sorted it. You should be good to go for awhile!

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by PWMDMD

Just bought a 2020 Tundra with an engine design that is 13 years old and while considered very dependable they still have a known issue with cam-tower leaks that has been occurring the entire 13 years. There are no perfect engine designs regardless of manufacturer.

I disagree...
wink.gif

[Linked Image]

OP glad you got it all sorted it. You should be good to go for awhile!

Congrats on buying a 13 year old "NEW" truck.

its way better than what he could buy now still. the new engine tech is very problematic from all the makers except Toyota when it comes to trucks

Originally Posted by super20dan
its way better than what he could buy now still. the new engine tech is very problematic from all the makers except Toyota when it comes to trucks

False. My Current 6.0 is fine. No DOD and proven reliability. The new 6.6 remains to be seen. But I will take a gas 3/4 ton or 1 ton from GM, Ram or Ford, before I spend more money for less truck in a 1/2 ton Tundra.

We get it you don't like DOD neither do I.

UPDATE: WELP that didn't last long!
33.gif

The engine shop used a non-OEM gasket for the oil filter housing - to - engine block. It leaked a quart of oil in under 320 miles of driving (1 week).
Back in the shop for more repairs! They also recommended replacing the intake and exhaust variable valve timing solenoids because they hadn't been replaced when they rebuilt the engine (and apparently these have a tendency to fail if the engine runs low on oil pressure).
The check engine light was on; gave some O2 sensor code and they replaced the sensor at no cost.
VVT solenoids they're doing for $300 while replacing the oil filter housing gasket, which they had to tear the engine half way back apart to get to...
lol.gif

confused2.gif

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by super20dan

False. My Current 6.0 is fine.
No DOD and proven reliability.

Hmmm.... Your anecdote is not anecdata so I'm curious as to how you have proven someone else false?!?
21.gif

Hence the reluctance of some shops to rebuild an engine.
I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport that we love.
All makes have troubles.
I think I would seriously off load it once it gets sorted out.
It might be a lifetime of sorting out.

Last edited:
Hyundai doesn’t owe him a new engine if it failed after the warranty. It would be nice if Hyundai helped, but they sure don’t have to.

It would be unwise to slander a company online for not financially covering a vehicle repair after the warranty has expired.

If the vehicle was still under warranty and Hyundai didn’t fix it, then that is an entirely different issue.

As I said, he provided very little in the way of useful information. Now, if Hyundai either gave him the runaround so that he would go past the warranty period without them helping him, then they are at fault for sure. If the motor failed so shortly after the warranty expired due to a manufacturing defect, it's still Hyundai's responsibility to take care of the customer. The OP should have done its due diligence in figuring out what went wrong with the motor, not throw a fit, and rant about how Hyundai is garbage.
Companies can and do come after individuals who falsely accuse the company of wrong doing.

Yeah, I'd like to see a concrete example of a situation like that. Considering how most companies do their best to get out of honoring warranties and how most people don't have the time or financial resources to go after corporations, I really would like to read at least one example where a car manufacturer got falsely accused by someone and either got away with it, or the company went after that individual with all their might. I can, however, name you plenty of examples of the exact opposite situation, like the GM ignition switch scandal or Hyundai's engines that will catch fire and burn everything down around them, including the passengers, if they're unlucky enough. Takata airbag, anyone? How about the garbage roller lifters that are randomly scattered in various HEMI engines? Yeah, God forbid we poor people to bring any real issues up because we might get smacked. No, Sir, just pay up and live with it. That's what the corporate world expects from us.

As I said, he provided very little in the way of useful information. Now, if Hyundai either gave him the runaround so that he would go past the warranty period without them helping him, then they are at fault for sure. If the motor failed so shortly after the warranty expired due to a manufacturing defect, it's still Hyundai's responsibility to take care of the customer. The OP should have done its due diligence in figuring out what went wrong with the motor, not throw a fit, and rant about how Hyundai is garbage.

Yeah, I'd like to see a concrete example of a situation like that. Considering how most companies do their best to get out of honoring warranties and how most people don't have the time or financial resources to go after corporations, I really would like to read at least one example where a car manufacturer got falsely accused by someone and either got away with it, or the company went after that individual with all their might. I can, however, name you plenty of examples of the exact opposite situation, like the GM ignition switch scandal or Hyundai's engines that will catch fire and burn everything down around them, including the passengers, if they're unlucky enough. Takata airbag, anyone? How about the garbage roller lifters that are randomly scattered in various HEMI engines? Yeah, God forbid we poor people to bring any real issues up because we might get smacked. No, Sir, just pay up and live with it. That's what the corporate world expects from us.
Unfortunately, I think you’ve delved too far on this one. Some issues such as the GM ignition switch, Takata airbag, and Hyundai Theta II fires are criminal in nature. I’ll give you one more example, the Ford cruise control button fires. There are plenty more that have happened throughout history, automotive and non automotive related. These defects caused serious harm and even death to people.

Getting back to the subject here, a failed engine in an automobile isn’t a criminal act. It’s generally accepted that as a vehicle ages, components wear out and break. A person can reasonably expect something to eventually wear out and break. However, at the same time a reasonable person can expect to not be harmed or injured because of the failure. A known issue with a vehicle (Hemi lifter tick, Honda automatic transmission failure, Powerstroke diesel 6.0, there are plenty more) can garner some negative publicity, and often results in extended warranty coverage, and sometimes class actions may arise. But those issues are not criminal, the risk of injury or death is very, very low. You may agree or disagree with me and that’s fine, but everything I just laid out is generally how consumerism and the law work.

A whole parts car from a salvage auction costs less than one of those engines alone. You could get a brand new short block for $1500.
Honestly that thought/option never even crossed my mind. Nor did anyone offer that as an opportunity for a donor engine when we learned that the engine was shot from the failed oil pump.
It was a very gradual progression. I don’t drive that vehicle frequently so by the time I noticed how loud it was at cold startup (I leave for work long before the wife is even awake) the damage had already been done.
In the end the engine shop did rebuild the factory block that was in the car, however they messed up reinstalling one of the gaskets. So shortly after we picked it up it was spewing oil everywhere (the technician “made” an oil filter housing-to-engine block gasket from RTV, obviously ignorant to the mechanics of oil pressure vs silicone sealant). We nearly trashed that engine miles from picking it up and after being without her vehicle for over 2 months. 😳
All said and done it set us back $5300. Now to drive it till the wheels literally fall off.

Cheers!

Wow, sorry to hear this. The only engines I’ve seen/heard of prematurely failing in Chrysler’s 3.7’s. But not a ton of them...seen a few drop the valves and need new engines.

You mentioned Honda and Toyota. Yeah, very good engines. Don’t normally see issues. I have surprisingly seen issues with early Lexus direct injection engines, and you hear about some of the early direct injection Honda’s. So keep that in mind - that direct injection can be tricky when these manufacturers are cutting their teeth with these engines. But I have personally taken a Honda to 300k miles before it started burning oil. And I’m currently taking a 2016 Avalon the distance. Not one single issue with that 3.5 engine...might be the most reliable and versatile engine I’ve ever had, in terms of reliability, power and fuel economy.

But what happened to you isn't “normal”. It’s an anomaly. So don’t rush into a Honda or Toyota of you don’t like those cars, because engines are usually pretty reliable in everything nowadays.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 1911CHAMPION
I've been down that Ford / Chevy road. Never again...

Weird. My 2002 Expedition is still on the road, years after I sold it, had 210,000 miles on it when I sold it, probably has well over 250,000 on it now. That old gas-sucking 5.4L was dead-nuts reliable, only issue I ever had with it was that it launched a plug. Cheap to fix.

[Linked Image]

The Taurus had 106,000 miles on it when the Pump shaft splines in the Torque Converter stripped out. Proof of my own labor to save some $$$. That entire job only set me back about $500. $350 for a converter and transmission seals, fluids, ball joints, tie rod ends for the front suspension... That had the Duratec 3.0, it was quick.
Sounds almost like someone neutral-dropped it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back