what ceramic brake pads should i choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! i have a 2003 hummer h2, whoch is a pretty heavy vehicle. i know this has been discussed tons but just wanted some updated info, going to be swapping out the pads soon, my rotors are fine and looking for recommendations. i dont tow but i obviously want the best performance i can get for the price!

i was looking at rockauto and it seems like any of those brake pads are in my budget range, what do you guys recommend? i think i read the oe pads are:
ac delco 17D785CH
which are around $60 cad

I also found these:
ACDELCO 17D784SDHSevere Duty; Ceramic for $90 cad

AKEBONO ASP785A for $97

BREMBO P10026N $80

POWER STOP Z36784 $64

AKEBONO ACT784 $67 these are on sale for only $67 not sure if there worth it

so what do you guys say? is any of these better then the other? or all basically the same thing?

i just want the best pad, money doesnt matter

thx!

Isn't there a brake upgrade you can do on GMT800s? I think you can put GMT900 brakes on it.

Akebono proacts on RA clearance? Living the dream right there! #1 recommended pad on BITOG.

I usually get what's on sale at RockAuto. Front brakes I go mid grade or better, rear I use $12 Centrics.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Isn't there a brake upgrade you can do on GMT800s? I think you can put GMT900 brakes on it.

Akebono proacts on RA clearance? Living the dream right there! #1 recommended pad on BITOG.

You can upgrade gmt800 to 900 i did on my avalanche. Its bolt on and really improves the braking. I did not add the hydroboost.

But the hummers have bigger brakes already.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

ahh yeah! but the akebono performance are only $30 more, beneficial to upgrade or doesnt really matter?

I have gotten GOOD deals on ceramic pads recently for my Vic and Suburban under $60 front/rear WITH hardware kit on Amazon and Pep boys

Dave

Originally Posted by apollo18
hey guys! i have a 2003 hummer h2, whoch is a pretty heavy vehicle. i know this has been discussed tons but just wanted some updated info, going to be swapping out the pads soon, my rotors are fine and looking for recommendations. i dont tow but i obviously want the best performance i can get for the price!

i was looking at rockauto and it seems like any of those brake pads are in my budget range, what do you guys recommend? i think i read the oe pads are:
ac delco 17D785CH
which are around $60 cad

I also found these:
ACDELCO 17D784SDHSevere Duty; Ceramic for $90 cad

AKEBONO ASP785A for $97

BREMBO P10026N $80

POWER STOP Z36784 $64

AKEBONO ACT784 $67 these are on sale for only $67 not sure if there worth it

so what do you guys say? is any of these better then the other? or all basically the same thing?

i just want the best pad, money doesnt matter

thx!

Anyone gonna respond who read the part where he wants good performance? Not cheapness

Get a semi metalic formula not ceramic unless its rated with a higher coefficient of friction. you may want to look elsewhere for something like EBC I'm sure you can find the ratings of pads made for those trucks someplace online if not listed on RA. I have seen photos on there where the codes printed on the edge are shown. You want something thats higher in the alphabet like "GG" if possible

I have used the wagner severe duty on a past vehicle( can't remember which) Not sure if they are ceramic, but they worked well and lasted.

WAGNER SX784 for your vehicle. $33.79 at rock auto.

I currently have the raybestos police duty on my avalanche as a gmt 900 swap. They work great, slightly, and i mean slightly less cold bite, but great when warm. My avalanche probably weighs similar to your hummer. About 5800lbs.

RAYBESTOS SP784PSH for your hummer $47.79 rock auto.

Last edited:
I live in the salt belt and semi-metallics are not able to keep the rust bands from starting and growing on the rotors where the pads are suppose to contact. Ceramic pads do keep the rust away.

I want to stay with a ceramic just because of brake dust.
So out of the ones I listed which do you think is the best ceramic pad?

Thanks!!

The Akebono street performance brake pads are possibly rated GG.... And I used them on my car and those pads were very, very good.... The first letter in that the DOT code is for "cold" breaking performance at 250°F and the second letter is for "hot" braking performance temp 600°F plus...

G rated brake pads will just about never fade under hot braking conditions... While a F rated heat brake pad is 0-22% chance of brake fade at high temps....

The G rated brake pad at "cold" temp will have more bite while cold too... Versus a F rated pad...

All I can say is I put ceramics on my truck and they are terrible when you first start driving. I'll take dust any day over ceramics

been hearing some talk that akebonos makes the delco pads... so does that mean they are just repackaged akebonos act/asp? or an inferior pad/ low quality control versions of the act/asp?

if they are actually just repackaged act/asp pads then thats wierd to me because i thought the oem manufacturer would be cheaper while the delco would be more expensive but on rockauto the akebono act and asp are both more expensive then there ac delco counterpart by about $10 each time

anyone have input?
thx

apollo,

I've gone through this a couple times and unfortunately what I've found is the same pad characteristics are not found across all vehicles. I've had great success with akebonos on hondas and a grand cherokee, so-so on volvo and dismal on a gen one tundra. I still think they set the standard for ceramic brakes.

With both trucks I've owned, i've moved to Hawk LTS because they perform better and as a side benefit also give better pedal feel. They do dust, but appearance is not my highest priority. I prefer the hawk street pads on the volvos (s60s) which are nice handling cars to begin with.

In order to get there, as you can imagine, I may have tried a couple of different products before I found what I liked. My wife has a CR-V. It will get akebonos and raybestos AT rotors when it's time. That combination was fabulous on her gen 1 MDX.

I think there's a raybestos "NHT" pad which is getting excellent reviews in truck applications.

Good luck!
-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back