2008 GMC Sierra - AMSOIL SS 5w30 - 5300~ miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my coworkers truck, total of about 5300 mile OCI. he towed a camper 3000 miles from Louisiana to Colorado and back, steep hills and stuff like that. Fram ultra filter was used. I told him maybe go to a 5w40 for next time. He babies this truck otherwise, at least 3 miles to work per day not including lunch breaks.

2509E135-A58E-4DD6-818D-A831E266F036.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow - TBN of 2.....that's really low for just 3k miles. Not so stellar overall - but while towing, so tough work......

Stout Additive pack... Amazed the TPN is at 2.0.... Wear metals are very high. I'd be very disappointed if this were my truck.

Super low flashpoint too, Did the engine use any oil/ topoff.

Geez, a TBN of 2 after only 5,300 miles on Amsoil SS? Does towing affect the oil that much? Pretty disappointed.

Common folk oil would have had a TBN in the negatives
lol.gif

Really disappointing report though. What made you guys do a UOA in the first place? Previous owner beat it up?

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Common folk oil would have had a TBN in the negatives
lol.gif

Really disappointing report though. What made you guys do a UOA in the first place? Previous owner beat it up?

I had told him about how I did UOAs on my bmw and he was curious, he is the original owner. only major engine work was a defective cam that was under warranty, otherwise he keep up with the truck pretty well being that he is a mechanic himself.

looks like a lot of fuel in that oil juding by the flashpoint and Blackstone's own fuel % (although we know about the accuracy of that). Amsoil states the TBN starts at 12.6, that's an insane drop in TBN.

towing is harder on an engine but the 4.8 shouldn't sweat that hard even going up grades.

He's going to test again after another 3000 miles then Switching to either 5w40 or 0w40 with some ceratec.
Spoke to him about coolant leak, said there's no way because level hasn't gone down and he even leak tested it recently. We'll keep an eye on it.

I would not run that oil in this engine again if it were my rig. Louisiana right? Don't see why he needs a 5wX...Try a 10w30 or 5w40..something more HD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Yep … like M1 HM 10w30

Yeah definitely...a thicker oil (film) with gobs of AW additives like a HiMi oil usually has might hopefully get those wear metals down to reasonable levels.

What's weird is it technically stayed in grade (barely) for a SAE30 even with the fuel dilution. But I wonder what the HTHS 150c is..I would bet it's well below 3.0..look at that FP too!

Last edited:
What oil did he use before? Any recent engine work?

Does look like he has an air intake leak and a coolant leak, assuming this engine had not recently been open. It's not the towing it's the near 3% fuel (great the viscosity is still 9.5 cSt). the coolant, the Na and the Si.

Lousy UOA for sure, need to find the root cause and stop recommending and trying different oils.

Originally Posted by Pablo

Does look like he has an air intake leak and a coolant leak, assuming this engine had not recently been open. It's not the towing it's the near 3% fuel (great the viscosity is still 9.5 cSt). the coolant, the Na and the Si.

Lousy UOA for sure, need to find the root cause and stop recommending and trying different oils. - agreed.

I've seen many UOA's with that level of silica and nowhere near these wear levels - we're talking just 3k on this oci. Even so, wouldn't we see higher insolubles % if this was the culprit for the wear? Or is there no correlation. I too am wondering if the engine had some work done..

Also, is it possible the oil stayed in grade, despite the fuel dilution, due to volatility thickening? That FP is really low..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Pablo

Lousy UOA for sure, need to find the root cause and stop recommending and trying different oils. - agreed.

I've seen many UOA's with that level of silica and nowhere near these wear levels - we're talking just 3k on this oci. Even so, wouldn't we see higher insolubles % if this was the culprit for the wear? Or is there no correlation. I too am wondering if the engine had some work done..

Also, is it possible the oil stayed in grade, despite the fuel dilution, due to volatility thickening? That FP is really low..

Where did you get 3K? oil is at 5K. Si AND Na point to some type of dirt intrusion. Not native in Amsoil. Those moderate levels will not be reflected in higher insolubles. FP is low because fuel is so high. I mean if you want to blame the oil, go ahead, but it's not logical. Almost all tabulations and individual UOA's I've seen show Amsoil with about, if not the lowest Fe per mile. This UOA is just is not right.

Funny thing about UOA, spring coming, guy could put in any oil, drive differently, engine flushed out and get similar results - so what to think then? Or say, very different results?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back