2018 Golf Sportwagen Stage 2 IS20 Liquimoly 9K change

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Here's my latest. Pushed it the furthest so far. ~9K miles and changed it just at 30K total. 100% of this interval was with a new turbo (was slightly used but new to me/my car) and Stage 2 software. This interval included lots of hard driving, about a dozen quarter mile launches and numerous shorter 0-60 run. I drove the crap out of it. Still probably 60% highway cruising. Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 with Ceratec additive added when changed. (can see the moly/boron numbers from it) Looks like it held up great. I had zero consumption over the interval. I'll be going back to my ~7.5K change now but just was curious what 9K looked like with the hard use/extra power. Looks like it sheared to 30w but not by much. Also looks like the K&N "oh my god it will ruin engine rock-catcher" air filter is still doing a good job at filtering. Based on the data I have so far (TBN/viscosity graphs), I'd say 7.5K is a great interval to use/safe - it's 3/year for me which is fine/not overkill.

Inked18 GOLF SW-200210_UOA_30K_clean.jpg

oil_data_graphs.JPG

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse or seem like I'm on a Blackstone jihad, but it would be nice to know how much fuel you actually have in the oil. I thought the starting viscosity was also a bit higher (14 CST) for that oil? Looking at the FP and viscosity, I think it's safe to say the tune is dumping some fuel in the oil--but without actually testing for fuel dilution, there's really no way to know how much.

I'm curious if the tuner has a recommendation for OCI? I know that APR has a 5K recommendation--and based on the additional fuel the tune dumps in the oil, I actually think it's reasoanble.

Originally Posted by JOD
Not to beat a dead horse or seem like I'm on a Blackstone jihad, but it would be nice to know how much fuel you actually have in the oil. I thought the starting viscosity was also a bit higher (14 CST) for that oil? Looking at the FP and viscosity, I think it's safe to say the tune is dumping some fuel in the oil--but without actually testing for fuel dilution, there's really no way to know how much.

I'm curious if the tuner has a recommendation for OCI? I know that APR has a 5K recommendation--and based on the additional fuel the tune dumps in the oil, I actually think it's reasoanble.

I have a virgin oil analysis on this very oil showing 13.5 so that's what I used on the graph for 0. Yes 14 is what the spec sheet says. I agree that knowing the fuel dilution is important and maybe next time I'll send it elsewhere for testing to verify. I try to think about the tune vs. say the stock GTI or R both of which push more boost stock than my 1.8 did and both have the same 10k OCI per VW. Unitronic doesn't have a specific OCI for their tunes. APR says 5I for their plus warranty tunes but really...that's just a number they use because they want to ensure that folks maintain their cars for the warranty and it's a super-safe number to use. My tune runs 22.5 psi max boost vs. APR which runs a few more psi.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

I have a virgin oil analysis on this very oil showing 13.5 so that's what I used on the graph for 0. Yes 14 is what the spec sheet says. I agree that knowing the fuel dilution is important and maybe next time I'll send it elsewhere for testing to verify. I try to think about the tune vs. say the stock GTI or R both of which push more boost stock than my 1.8 did and both have the same 10k OCI per VW. Unitronic doesn't have a specific OCI for their tunes. APR says 5I for their plus warranty tunes but really...that's just a number they use because they want to ensure that folks maintain their cars for the warranty and it's a super-safe number to use. My tune runs 22.5 psi max boost vs. APR which runs a few more psi.

copy that r.e. the viscosity.

r.e. APR's recommendation, it's totally possible that you're right, but my 87 octane tune (same as the warranty tune) was definitely dumping more fuel in the oil than the stock tune. So, I also wonder if part of the OCI recommendation is accounting for the added fuel in the oil.

Either way, the oil looks fine and these engines seems to be pretty trouble free if you don't go crazy with the boost.

Originally Posted by JOD

r.e. APR's recommendation, it's totally possible that you're right, but my 87 octane tune (same as the warranty tune) was definitely dumping more fuel in the oil than the stock tune. So, I also wonder if part of the OCI recommendation is accounting for the added fuel in the oil.

Either way, the oil looks fine and these engines seems to be pretty trouble free if you don't go crazy with the boost.

Do you have any data on the "dumping fuel" from your 87 tune?

Originally Posted by JOD

yeah, I actually posted the UOA's on here (before and after tune); iirc, it went from trace amount stock to 2.6%. Not an insane amount, but not insignificant either, particularly if one is adhering to a 10K OCI. I've seen UOA's on more aggressive tunes with more fuel, but it's a pretty limited data set.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by JOD

yeah, I actually posted the UOA's on here (before and after tune); iirc, it went from trace amount stock to 2.6%. Not an insane amount, but not insignificant either, particularly if one is adhering to a 10K OCI. I've seen UOA's on more aggressive tunes with more fuel, but it's a pretty limited data set.

Ok cool. Who did you analysis?

I used oil analyzers. They measured via GC, which is probably the most accurate method available for a conventional UOA.

Here was the analysis:

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back