400hp VW Arteon confirmed for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
VW's 3.0-liter VR6 twin-turbocharged engine is believed to be the icing on the cake. If the rumor is correct, then it will push out around 400 horsepower to the two axles through a DSG transmission. With the extra muscle, the top-of-the-line Arteon R's 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) acceleration should drop to around 4 seconds.

Screenshot_20200219-160705_Google News.jpg

The question is will it be available to what VW considers a dying market (the USA) or only Europe and China, it wont be the first hot car the USA didn't get.

Local dealer got 6 VW Arteon's last year, and sold 3. The others are being discounted for 5k + off ... and they sold MAYBE 1 or 2 Passats a month, compared to 50 + Atlas / Tiguans per month.

The mid / large sedan market is dead in North America.

The other problem with the pumped up Arteon will be the price, combined with the wrong EMBLEM on the trunk ... the look at me crowd won't care a bit.

Finally. This car deserves a nicer engine. Sadly, even if it makes it to the US, most people will probably choose Audi A6 over it.

Exciting possibility, I hope we see it hear. I do not understand VW, they offer quite a few sedans yet don't advertise them much if at all. It's no wonder they don't sell. With so many makers moving away from sedans there should be a bigger slice of the pie available to those that remain.

Mercedes and BMW seem to have no problem selling sedans.

I like VW, German fun without the luxury tax.

making big power with a VAG -volkswagen auto group is only a TUNE away as witnessed on the GOAPR web, thats as as long as the engine internals + drivetrain are up to it. getting that much out of a 2.0T is easily done with todays technology featuring DI that allows agressive tuning without pinging, but of course premium fuel is required in many cases!

Originally Posted by benjy
making big power with a VAG -volkswagen auto group is only a TUNE away as witnessed on the GOAPR web, thats as as long as the engine internals + drivetrain are up to it. getting that much out of a 2.0T is easily done with todays technology featuring DI that allows agressive tuning without pinging, but of course premium fuel is required in many cases!

What 2.0T is making 400hp on pump gas?

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by benjy

Doesn`t Mercedes have one tuned to somewhere around 469 HP?

most stage II tunes on the Golf R (tune/downpipe/intake) put it right around 400HP, 400 ft lb of torque on 93 octane and the stock turbo. With a turbo upgrade, there are plenty of guys in the mid-400's to the wheels on stock internals, on pump gas. The engine is a real beast.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Finally. This car deserves a nicer engine. Sadly, even if it makes it to the US, most people will probably choose Audi A6 over it.

I agree - I would surely rather have the Audi badge lol. I also think they could do better than 400hp - that's just average in today's super sedan market.

It's not a 2.0T.

VW's 3.0-liter VR6 twin-turbocharged engine is believed to be the icing on the cake. If the rumor is correct, then it will push out around 400 horsepower to the two axles through a DSG transmission.

Originally Posted by Trav
Its a bit crazy though IMO 65 MPH speed limit 400HP, makes sense to me. I am just as guilty and just as stupid.

well, there's a lot of 75 and 80 out west. Plus, no limit on how fast you get up to that speed!

I will say that with my Golf R, my initial thought was to get it tuned immediately. After driving the car for a few thousand miles, I kinda question what I'd do with the extra power on public roads. 300 HP in a 3,300 lb car really does seem to be enough....

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Exciting possibility, I hope we see it hear. I do not understand VW, they offer quite a few sedans yet don't advertise them much if at all. It's no wonder they don't sell. With so many makers moving away from sedans there should be a bigger slice of the pie available to those that remain.

Mercedes and BMW seem to have no problem selling sedans.

I like VW, German fun without the luxury tax.

BMW is selling less sedans as well. Consumer preferences are a changing.

With a better warranty no doubt and a higher residual which will keep the lease payment relatively close to the VR6 equipped Arteon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMBoy

I agree - I would surely rather have the Audi badge lol. I also think they could do better than 400hp - that's just average in today's super sedan market.

Phaeton W12 or an A8? The Phaeton is a much nicer and powerful car, I have driven both and there is no comparison. VW doesn't always put its finest under other badges.

Originally Posted by Trav
Phaeton W12 or an A8? The Phaeton is a much nicer and powerful car, I have driven both and there is no comparison. VW doesn't always put its finest under other badges.

Phaeton was an exception since it was developed to be the next Bentley Continental without stuffing Bentley's books with a huge R&D cost.

Whether or not it was an exception is irrelevant, the point is VW does not always put its best products under another brand name. Sometimes you get a higher end product for less money for that reason, you just have to get past the VW badging which for a lot of Americans is hard to do, it doesn't have the snob appeal of the Audi badge for them.
I remember them building the Phaeton/Bentley plant in Dresden, both cars on the same line.

I doubt the US will get a 400hp Arteon, the mainstream version of the car is here in tiny numbers at dealers and I've not seen a single advertisement anywhere for them either. A loaded Arteon is about 10k less than an A4 and much larger to boot. The nicest car nobody has ever heard of, and I've not seen a single one in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back