Fun Electrical Gremlins with the Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think the Jeep is finally done as a road going vehicle
frown.gif
No chance of it passing inspection now.

Came home from work yesterday and saw the headlights were on. Strange. No footprints by it, so no one would have opened the door and turned them on. There was a buzzing coming from it. Get in and sniff around for mice, but didn't smell any sign of them. Still was my guess.

Headlight switch was off. If I put it on parking lights, they would turn off and back on again if I pulled all the way out. And the gauge cluster was buzzing. Opened the hood looking for some chewed wired, checked under the dash but didn't notice anything.

So I started it up and the headlights turned off and the cluster stopped buzzing. Everything works normally, great! I figured it was a low battery thing. Let it run a while to charge the battery. Turned it off and the headlights came on and the gauge cluster started buzzing.

And that's when it happens. *Drip*. It's been sitting on a trailer for a few weeks. The trailer is on the jack and the noise is pointed up. The windshield frame leaked perfectly onto the steering column and gauge cluster. I knew the windshield leaked, but wasn't thinking of having it nose up would cause other problems. Usually it just runs down the dash and puddles on the floor.

Battery is unhooked how. Which means no monitors set. No more inspection for it here in NY.

Well, it was inevitable. Now it can be a complete toy with consideration for the long arm of the law.

Maybe if you dry it all out it'll come around for you.

I had an auto relay on a car that got some rust inside it (didn't realize I had an unsealed relay) and rust closed the contacts. Swapped out the relay and all was fine.

Are you able to put it in a heated garage for a while........I too believe that you should try to let it dry out before you condemn it. Then fix that leak!
09.gif

not a jeeper but they are always in demand,especially older ones, you dont give many details !!

That sucks... hopefully a good dry out and maybe some rubbing alcohol will get it working normally again.

I need to get the windshield replaced in my 94 Ranger for the same reason. So far it has just caused wet carpet.

In theory, I could get it off the trailer and into the garage. But I'm working on a bathroom remodel and my garage is a staging area. But also, my driveway is 3'' of ice in that spot and there's no chance of me getting the trailer jack up and I have the trailer parked right against the garage. I left the trailer and brake controller hooked up to the truck so the battery on that is completely flat and it isn't going to start without a new battery at this point. Everything is broken!

I have a ton of Cherokee parts. When it warms up and dries out weather wise, I could swap out the gauge cluster and turn signal stalk for another set. That should solve the issue as long as the green crusties don't get too bad on the harness.

Originally Posted by benjy
not a jeeper but they are always in demand,especially older ones, you dont give many details !!

OH, it's rough. 2000 Cherokee with 214K miles. Not terribly rusty, actually, just the windshield frame is bad. It's been laid over a few times and serves mostly as an offroad toy. The frame has broken a few times where the steering box goes; most recently I was doing a snow hill climb and hit a tree and broke it again. I hit the tree hard enough that the fan went through the radiator.

Originally Posted by Miller88
In theory, I could get it off the trailer and into the garage. But I'm working on a bathroom remodel and my garage is a staging area. But also, my driveway is 3'' of ice in that spot and there's no chance of me getting the trailer jack up and I have the trailer parked right against the garage. I left the trailer and brake controller hooked up to the truck so the battery on that is completely flat and it isn't going to start without a new battery at this point. Everything is broken!

I have a ton of Cherokee parts. When it warms up and dries out weather wise, I could swap out the gauge cluster and turn signal stalk for another set. That should solve the issue as long as the green crusties don't get too bad on the harness.

Originally Posted by benjy

OH, it's rough. 2000 Cherokee with 214K miles. Not terribly rusty, actually, just the windshield frame is bad. It's been laid over a few times and serves mostly as an offroad toy. The frame has broken a few times where the steering box goes; most recently I was doing a snow hill climb and hit a tree and broke it again. I hit the tree hard enough that the fan went through the radiator.

That sucks about the windshield frame. That's actually why I sold my 2000 XJ. Unknown to me, the windshield was replaced before I bought it (I had it 10+ years). Whoever did the replacement did the seal incorrectly, causing it to severely rust. That windshield got a crack right in my line of sight, and had also started leaking inside dripping onto the steering wheel during heavy rain. When I went to have it replaced the shop showed me the rust issues. It would've needed a good amount of money in body work to correct, and had started rusting in other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back