Reliable Brand Washer / Dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are looking to replace our washer and dryer in the near future. Not looking for fancy features, just a solid front load washer/dryer. What brands are considered reliable these days and which ones should we stay away from? I've heard that Samsung is one to stay away from although they seem to be some of the most popular ones.

We will most like be buying from Home Depot / Lowes since they seem to have the best prices.

Speed Queen. You probably won't find them at HD or Lowes, but they'll be better than anything you'll find at HD and Lowes.

Not sure there's any such thing nowadays. The Speed Queen fans will chime in about their 28 year old SQ that's still going strong and good for them, but you can't buy those models anymore. Their current models, and for the past ~5 years, aren't considered to be anything special. They still cost a LOT more than regular, big box store brands. I seriously looked at getting one but my research on the modern models steered me against them. We had to replace our 4 year and 11 month old washer and I luckily had bought a 5-year service plan. We paid ~$550 (plus $119 for the service plan) for it back then and the repair estimate was $700 (minimum). Explain that ! They are sadly throwaway items anymore using this cost scheme.

Used appliance resale store for the true BITOGER.

Personally, Ive had some trouble with both LG and cheaper Samsung units. Control boards... Motors... Things that shouldnt be failing.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I've heard good things about Speed Queen, they are pricey.

You get what you pay for.

Speed Queen is an option.
However, I have talked to several repairmen. Both advised to stay away from LG, Samsung, etc. Getting parts for those are difficult and expensive.
These repairmen also added that most everything now is "Junk." However, their recommendation is to stick with Whirlpool (and their brands.) They have found fewer problems, and parts are readily available and generally are reasonably priced.

My understanding is that generally speaking appliances as a whole are less reliable today and consequently the only way to save money is to buy floor models (aka Scratch-n-dent).

In any case here's one data point from a NE retailer: Yale Appliance

The best make we have owned is Fisher Paykal. Pricey...
I have had good luck with Sears Kenmore as well; much friendlier prices.

Good luck.

Speed Queen TC5 (TC5000WN) is the old-style agitator toploader. Some weird controls to dodge the EPA rules. It costs about $1000.

The TR-series Speed Queen is a toploader, but it uses an "agitub" design that many people don't like. The TC5 was introduced with old-fashioned design because of the backlash against the TR models.

All of these are toploaders. Maytag also has a "commercial" toploader (MVWP575GW). It's too much similar to the design of a dud Whirlpool I had for me to be a fan, though....

In my opinion, the pinnacle of washer design is/was the Whirlpool direct-drive. Get a direct-drive Whirlpool (or a rebrand) that isn't worn out -- if you can find one -- and you'll have just about the toughest and most repairable washer there is. They were replaced with a belt-drive design around 2010 -- I've had a ton of problems with one of those, hate it.

I don't have any experience with frontloaders, though.

I don't know about dryers; I assume one dryer is as good as another... they are pretty simple. I had an LG where the sensor didn't work well, even replaced the sensor and it didn't fix it. So I personally wouldn't get another LG, but I think they are well-rated.

Miele - You pay once up front and are good for between 10 and 15K cycles.

Electrolux - not bad.

UD

The jury is still out on the front load washer???
I have not heard good thing about it except for the cosmetic look.

I know it is not helpful.
IMO, the old school front loading with a middle agitator is still the best.

Last edited:
Our Direct drive Lg has been doing 10-15 loads a week for over 12 years now. Family of four. Can't complain.

Originally Posted by JMJNet

Isn't the agitator bad on clothes?

Speed Queens are decent. Both the washers and dryers are built in Wisconsin. Pricey yes, but they seem to be easy to get parts and service for.

Whirlpool (Whirlpool, maytag, roper, admiral, some Kenmore, ect). Washers and Dryers both built in Ohio. Easy to find parts and service. High volume production so there are a few more that may come bad off the line but nothing that I know of that is total junk. We have a maytag dryer that is 11 years old and still going strong, only issue was lint trap felt fell off on first one. whirlpool sent new one on them.

Electrolux/Frigidaire. Washers and Dryers are all made in Mexico. We have a 13 year old front loader that is on its last legs and has had a few door seals, timer knobs and belts replaced and is rusting out. parts were a bit harder to find then the Maytag we had previously.

GE Most washers are made in the USA, was at lowes and saw a matte blue washer there that was made in China. I think I was more shocked that the washer was over $1000.00 while the cheaper ones were made in Kentucky .
33.gif
All dryers I saw were made in Mexico. GE will show on their website which specific models are made in the USA and a percentage of how much is built in the USA similar to new cars. Still not a fan of Haier products but we have a US built dishwasher and fridge that has held up. So they weould be a third place recommendation after Speed Queen and Whirlpool Corp brands.

LG, Samsung are ones I would avoid like the plague due to parts and people not likely to work on them. Also a friend of mine had gone through two new LG washers due to main bearing failures within two years. Most come from overseas (Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, ect.) but there are a very few select washers that are assembled in the USA. I would avoid due to initial cost and parts/service scaricity.

I recently purchased a new Whirlpool base model top loader with agitator washer. Replaced a Samsung with no agitator as the wife does the cloth diaper thing with our two boys and the Samsung was not getting them clean enough. The Whirlpool has shown improvements in cleaning compared to the Samsung.

I looked into Speed Queen but found the same thing that HallStevenson did about newer models being troublesome.

I used a whirlpool direct drive for about 10 years at a previous house and will agree with all of Brages' statements. Those things are rugged built and easy to repair. The Whirlpool I had was a 90's(lived there from 07-17) model that replaced an 80's Kenmore that was in the house when I moved in. The Kenmore was the same design but the direct drive motor did fail and it would no longer spin. I put a lid switch in the Kenmore before it's demise and a shut off valve in the Whirlpool while I lived there. The Whirlpool did also meet it's demise last year(2019 I still owned the house as a rental unit) when the timer died and I deemed it not worth the part price to repair. My parents still use a Kenmore they bought new in the 80's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ad244
Used appliance resale store for the true BITOGER.

Personally, Ive had some trouble with both LG and cheaper Samsung units. Control boards... Motors... Things that shouldnt be failing.

Yep-right up there with a vehicle with 200,000 miles on it-with the intent to drive it another 100,000 or so!

I haven't heard good stuff about LG-however-I have three Samsung appliances and they have been very reliable!

Last edited:
We have the Sammy front loader washer/dryer, going on 12 yrs with only one maint call for both. Do an Xcellent job cleaning, my only peeve with the new HE washers is the little amount of water they use for the wash cycle, i always add extra water to get the suds agitating
lol.gif

Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by JMJNet

Isn't the agitator bad on clothes?

Bad how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back