Maintenance documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do folks keep the documentation of maintenance? Do you keep all receipts of the parts and labor, reports (annual inspection etc) or just maintain an excel sheet.

I do not keep a single receipt. I do file inspection reports but sometimes they get lost before filing. I maintain an excel sheet with as many details as possible, like what part was used, make and model. How much did I pay for fixing something? And every entry comes with the odometer reading. I only do basic maintenance myself, rest is done by the mechanic.

I do not plan to sell/trade-in either of the cars in the near future, still, I am curious how do others do it.

I keep a 3 ring binder. Asked for a copy of service checklist from a friend who works at the Chevy dealer, I've copied that over the years and document everything on that. Tire pressure, battery, brakes etc... then I copy the receipts and take a picture. I also put info on the app for my cars like service centers do, so it's recorded in the event I sell. Which in the past 35 years of owning vehicles I tend to be the last owner.

Spreadsheet, and I write it in the back of the owner's manual that lives in the glovebox. You might want to reconsider keeping receipts, my wife's Equinox was declined for repairing the troublesome piston rings because she didn't keep the receipts for the oil changes, even though the oil burning is a known issue and GM redesigned the rings to fix it. Just having a log of them apparently isn't good enough for GM, and others in the same predicament have discovered that no receipts = no getting GM to fix their known problems.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Spreadsheet, and I write it in the back of the owner's manual that lives in the glovebox. You might want to reconsider keeping receipts, my wife's Equinox was declined for repairing the troublesome piston rings because she didn't keep the receipts for the oil changes, even though the oil burning is a known issue and GM redesigned the rings to fix it. Just having a log of them apparently isn't good enough for GM, and others in the same predicament have discovered that no receipts = no getting GM to fix their known problems.

It's always been log + receipts...makes sense...anyone can lie about a log.

mycarfax app. Upload pictures of receipt. If the part has a warranty, I'll put the paper receipt in a file folder.

Have a separate folder in Gmail for online purchases/receipts.

I keep a simple paper logbook in each car, jot down miles and date of everything. Gas fillup, tire rotation, etc. Simple notes. When I get bored I'll transfer to Excel, couple times per year.

I do it for my own tracking. Next owner of the car can have the book if they'd like, or they can toss it. Odds are, no one will be interested, as I buy cheapo cars and get rid of when well worn. No sense in sweating over something that has no value--at least not for my vehicles. I track for my own purposes, to make sure mpg doesn't suddenly drop. And to see if my initial calculations about ownership costs are tracking properly, mostly so that I can plan ahead for the next vehicle.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
How do folks keep the documentation of maintenance? Do you keep all receipts of the parts and labor, reports (annual inspection etc) or just maintain an excel sheet.

I do not keep a single receipt. I do file inspection reports but sometimes they get lost before filing. I maintain an excel sheet with as many details as possible, like what part was used, make and model. How much did I pay for fixing something? And every entry comes with the odometer reading. I only do basic maintenance myself, rest is done by the mechanic.

I do not plan to sell/trade-in either of the cars in the near future, still, I am curious how do others do it.

I log oil/filter changes in a little spiral I purchased at a dollar store . That is the only data I record / track .

I keep receipts and paperwork
These are stapled to proper place in the vehicle maintenance log with date and mileage
Easy to keep track of and refer to when I forget details

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
https://autosist.com/portal/login/index

Allows you to upload pics of receipts and invoices and record everything you need - $20 one time fee.
I may sign up for this-I'm having issues with fading thermal paper equaling unreadable receipts, therefore no warranty. AAP is apparently deleting online ordering history older than 8 years now.

I keep mine in a manila envelope with the intention of giving them to the new owner. I don't do my own oil changes so I can see how keeping a tiny sales receipt might be a PITA.

Last edited:
I just keep the printouts from the service folks, cash register receipt stapled to 'em, in a three-ring binder.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
https://autosist.com/portal/login/index

Allows you to upload pics of receipts and invoices and record everything you need - $20 one time fee.
I may sign up for this-I'm having issues with fading thermal paper equaling unreadable receipts, therefore no warranty. AAP is apparently deleting online ordering history older than 8 years now.

It will even allow you to print out nice PDF reports which I do and keep in a folder on my computer as a backup.

I keep a google document with the dates of when I performed certain maintenance and where the parts were sourced from. I actually don't even record the mileage, just the date.

I shove all the service notes/print outs in my glove box and assume the top-most one is the more recent service.

All my dealer service is on Ford's owner's websites and will also allow me to manually input other services that weren't done at recorded at the dealer.

Last edited:
I keep a log of everything.. gas [ calcs fuel mileage] /maintenance / repair / upgrades and so on Automobile app on my [android] tablet..

second redundancy is on a simple notepad type document on tablet, all chronological / mileage listed.

all receipts are kept in a large envelop for each car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back