Is BITOG syndrome relevant to short term owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this yesterday. Most topics discussed regularly here (Carbon build up, sludge, fuel dilution, wear metals) really only matter over a long period of time.

For example I like commuter cars for whatever reason. My habit is to buy one new and drive it a few years then trade it in on another one. If i never keep a car over 5 years, are any of these topics even relevant? Even with sub-par maintenance any new vehicle should make it 5 years I would think.

You've found out. A lot of topics are driven by OCD and/or anal retention.
smile.gif

Maybe you need a different blog?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JoelB
I was thinking about this yesterday. Most topics discussed regularly here (Carbon build up, sludge, fuel dilution, wear metals) really only matter over a long period of time.

For example I like commuter cars for whatever reason. My habit is to buy one new and drive it a few years then trade it in on another one. If i never keep a car over 5 years, are any of these topics even relevant? Even with sub-par maintenance any new vehicle should make it 5 years I would think.

You would be correct however the "trade in" value or "time to sell" and resale value might be impacted by the lack of maintenance.

One of my best friends simply doesn't care about oil or maintenance.

He finds the very existence of this site/board bizarre.

He leases a new car through his company. Trades it in every three years. Car, insurance, even gas, are paid through his business.

He hasn't worried about an oil change, or tires, or any of the things that we discuss for a long time. He brings it in for service when required, but doesn't really care what they do to it, because he's driving a loaner that day. Never worries about maintenance details, or longevity.

He picks a car he likes. Negotiates the deal. Enjoys it for a few years.

Then gets a new one.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

You would be correct however the "trade in" value or "time to sell" and resale value might be impacted by the lack of maintenance.

Documentation of maintenance is more important during resale than maintenance.

Hypothetically speaking, a car could be impeccably maintained by its owner but see no benefit at resale if there are no receipts. Conversely, the car could have every oil change and tire rotation badly done by HS age kids at a quickie lube but have a stack of papers attesting to the "care" given to the vehicle.

The vast majority of car buyers haven't a clue about how their vehicle works. They care about price, age, mileage, and physical condition first, and if the car drives normally of course. Most consumers would rather have a warranty than a well maintained car, which is baffling to me. It's like not caring if your food was made by people with clean hands because you have a big stockpile of Pepto Bismol at home.

To clarify a bit, I'm not suggesting no maintenance is performed. Just that super strict adherence to the manual likely wont matter over these shorter ownership's. For example changing oil at 5500 miles when a manual suggests 5000 miles. Not gross mistreatment but maybe some "stretching" here and there.

This is just an exercise in thought. Even though i only own cars a few years I treat them like I'll own them decades. I have lots of free time and like tinkering on stuff.

Originally Posted by Triplicate

Hypothetically speaking, a car could be impeccably maintained by its owner but see no benefit at resale if there are no receipts. Conversely, the car could have every oil change and tire rotation badly done by HS age kids at a quickie lube but have a stack of papers attesting to the "care" given to the vehicle.

The vast majority of car buyers haven't a clue about how their vehicle works. They care about price, age, mileage, and physical condition first, and if the car drives normally of course. Most consumers would rather have a warranty than a well maintained car, which is baffling to me. It's like not caring if your food was made by people with clean hands because you have a big stockpile of Pepto Bismol at home.

For the type of car owner in question...one usually just trades in the current ride for a new one. When doing something like that, I have NEVER been asked about maintenance records...and when I offer any evidence of records, it makes ZERO difference in the trade in value. If the car you are trading in runs and drives, you are going to get the rate you negotiate. If you were a person to trade in a new vehicle every three years for a new one...I would bet my shorts you could get away with never doing maintenance, and have little to no repercussions.

Originally Posted by Astro14

He leases a new car through his company. Trades it in every three years. Car, insurance, even gas, are paid through his business.

He hasn't worried about an oil change, or tires, or any of the things that we discuss for a long time. He brings it in for service when required, but doesn't really care what they do to it, becuase he's driving a loaner that day. Never worries about maintenance details, or longevity.

Then gets a new one.

Letting someone else take care of the toaster on wheels has some appeal.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I just believe in taking care of my stuff. I make my bed every day.
It's about basic respect. Respect for stuff. Respect for myself.

While the technical answer to your question is that sub-par maintenance won't impact you as much as it may others on this site, JeffKeryk has the answer I feel is "more correct".

As JeffKeryk put it, there's a certain amount of respect for your items that translates into respecting yourself. When you buy the car, that is an aspect of your life now.

I get a bit of healthy discomfort when I am neglecting my things, and it causes me to go and force myself to take some care. Not that letting the oil changes run long constitutes neglect, but this also works the other way. When I take the extra time to take care of my things, I feel more respect for myself. In taking care of my things, I am taking care of me.

I take care of everything I have, doesn't matter if I keep it short term or long. As far as maintenance records, I am meticulous about them but probably most people are not. For example when I got rid of my eleven year old F150 I told the buyer I had a spreadsheet of all maintenance done since new. He told me he didn't need it. That's just the way it goes. Some folks care about that kind of stuff, some not.

Originally Posted by WondrousBread
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I just believe in taking care of my stuff. I make my bed every day.
It's about basic respect. Respect for stuff. Respect for myself.

While the technical answer to your question is that sub-par maintenance won't impact you as much as it may others on this site, JeffKeryk has the answer I feel is "more correct".

As JeffKeryk put it, there's a certain amount of respect for your items that translates into respecting yourself. When you buy the car, that is an aspect of your life now.

I get a bit of healthy discomfort when I am neglecting my things, and it causes me to go and force myself to take some care. Not that letting the oil changes run long constitutes neglect, but this also works the other way. When I take the extra time to take care of my things, I feel more respect for myself. In taking care of my things, I am taking care of me.

I'm afraid you are giving that too much weight. How many times have you or anyone seen this actually apply ? If the car is washed, interior vacuumed, has usable tires, etc, 90% of buyers are impressed. Only a tiny, tiny percentage of shoppers pull the dipstick, ask for service records, and so on. Someone that hasn't had the ATF serviced isn't going to get a lower price for a trade-in vs someone that changes it every 25k miles.

People here post about selling their immaculately maintained vehicles and trying to hand the buyer their notebook or folder full of service records, receipts, etc and are told they can keep it, the buyer doesn't want it.

I believe in pride of ownership, no question there.

What I don't buy into is some moral obligation to take care of something for the next guy. The guy before me likely couldn't care less, so why should I? I only care about my ownership, nothing past that. If i go to sell my vehicle to a private party the burden is on them to determine its condition and if it fits their needs.

When I get a vehicle there's a good chance I'm keeping it 5 years to 8 years but seldom 10 years. However I might sell or gift it to friends or family. They all get at or above OM's maintenance.
I also figure the next owner (if a stranger) could be someone with less money who does not need a repair job caused by neglect. I do what keeps my mind clear = many of us are here for that feeling.

He hasn't worried about an oil change, or tires, or any of the things that we discuss for a long time. He brings it in for service when required, but doesn't really care what they do to it, because he's driving a loaner that day. Never worries about maintenance details, or longevity.

Then gets a new one.

I (business owner) would never let one of my employee's negotiate the purchase-price of a vehicle I'm going to pay for.

Originally Posted by Triplicate

There are no benefits even if there are receipts. There have been numerous stories on here and elsewhere where a folder of receipts (maintenance history) went right in to the trash can at the dealer-at trade in time.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
He leases a new car through his company....

I (business owner) would never let one of my employee's negotiate the purchase-price of a vehicle I'm going to pay for.

Well, legally, most employees of a company simply can't buy or lease a car on behalf of the company so it's almost a moot point. That said, in the scenario Astro14 refers to, that person owns (or operates) the company.

Well, I guess that depends on the phrase used. In the manner Astro said it, it can be dissected either way.
I've heard some use that same phrase (words assertation) to describe where the friend might work, not necessarily own.
Maybe Astro will read this and clarify.

Ex: My business is the beer business. But I surely don't own any brewery or distributorship.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back