Good news for .300blk shooters

Status
Not open for further replies.
ws6, I have a few boxes of wolf ammo and wolf primers,

Can you please educate us with facts, you have me worried, hope this is not another internet hoax.

Originally Posted by stockrex

Can you please educate us with facts, you have me worried, hope this is not another internet hoax.

It's the internets. It's dirty but it's not corrosive.

Thats good news. Its becoming a mainstream caliber. Tens of thousands of rounds of .223 Wolf down range and no corrosive issues. I do clean my stuff after firing though...

PM
Originally Posted by stockrex

I've noticed that I get a bit of corrosion after running wolf if I dont clean immediately (that same day). It's not like 7n6, but it is mildly corrosive. I've been told it's the primers. Makes sense. I've never had any other ammo rust my chrome m4 firing pin, I'll put it that way.

Originally Posted by Marco620
If it's steel cased isn't that harder on firing pin. I noticed it left a lacquer like finish on everything.

A firing pin cost $4. You could replace your firing pin with every second box fired and still be money ahead.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
Wouldn't the primer still be brass, even if the case was steel? Maybe the extractor would wear?

I think most of them are brass. Even if they aren't it doesn't matter. By the time you wear out something you should have saved enough money to easily offset the increased maintenance cost. The vast majority of people never shoot enough to break a gun in never mind wearing it out by shooting it. Personally, I don't use steel case ammo. Good deals on brass come around pretty often plus I reload. If I didn't reload and deal hunt steel would be very attractive.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by Marco620
If it's steel cased isn't that harder on firing pin. I noticed it left a lacquer like finish on everything.

A firing pin cost $4. You could replace your firing pin with every second box fired and still be money ahead.

The barrels will shoot out faster as well. Believe lucky gunner did a study on this a few years back.

What made me think of this thread was a video I was watching in the surefire warcomp. Fast forward to 4:05, and they'll show some 55gr FMJ then some Tula, which splatters all kinds of who knows what out...

I am a fan of wolf steel case, non-magnetic projectile ammo. Good compromise there IMO.

That said, cheap 300blk is tempting. I'm on the fence about 223 or 300blk for a SBF.

I have fired 300blk suppressed, from a boot action, and it's impressively quiet. Not sure from an AR it's compellingly so... but the ability to have reasonable energy from a subsonic 300blk is interesting.

Still waiting on ATF approval of my suppressor, but I find my .300BLK pistol to be an easy gun to shoot. The subsonic ammo is a bit quieter, and much lower recoil. It's 220g, so, when you look at the numbers, you get about the ME of a .45 ACP 230g bullet.

At the range, I've heard a suppressed AR in .300 BLK and it's really quiet. Depends on the can, of course, but I don't see why an AR would be much louder than a bolt gun. A bit more mechanical noise from the action cycling, but I think the can itself would be determining, not the action...

Originally Posted by Astro14
Still waiting on ATF approval of my suppressor, but I find my .300BLK pistol to be an easy gun to shoot. The subsonic ammo is a bit quieter, and much lower recoil. It's 220g, so, when you look at the numbers, you get about the ME of a .45 ACP 230g bullet.

At the range, I've heard a suppressed AR in .300 BLK and it's really quiet. Depends on the can, of course, but I don't see why an AR would be much louder than a bolt gun. A bit more mechanical noise from the action cycling, but I think the can itself would be determining, not the action...

I'll bet it's a nice and easy gun to shoot. The 300blk I've shot is from a Remington 700 16", not sure of the can used. The action made a click and that was it. I was somewhat surprised at the perceived level of sound in videos such as this:

What Ive seen is suppressed subsonic 300blk is still around 119dB or so. Still loud when the action is cycling next to your face. I think the benefit of the boot is that there's no mechanism making cycling noise or doing anything near your head.

Can't wait to hear your observations on noise and performance!!

Originally Posted by Astro14

My friend just got his can out of jail after almost a year. 300 BO subs are very quiet. I now feel a little lacking not having a suppressor.

Very quiet is perhaps relative. It's still like 120dB. A bolt with no action cycling is quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back