Is it fine to buy aftermarket/China brake master cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys got a 2003 gmc truck and noticed the brake fluid is light green/olive color so going to be chagning it asap. also the master cylinder is leaky so just gonna get a new one.
the ac delco one is almost $200 here in canada looking online and i dont really wanna spend that much if i dont have to.
is it ok if i just get a aftermarket one?

i found these ones for a decent price

RAYBESTOSMC390542
CENTRIC13066042
WAGNERMC144044

ill also call napa and local part sources and see what they have. just based off looking at the brands im leaning towards the raybestos, but wondering if it really matters the brand or what you would do in this case?

thx

I am not really into anything China but sometimes we have no choice. My mechanic likes centric and raybestos btw and i currently have centric front rotors and brakes on my jeep and ford focus

Last edited:
its fine to buy anthing of good quality. it is not fine to buy poor qqulaity junk. the country it was made in is not important, it is the ability of the manufcturer to produce items to close tolerances, using good quality raw materials and attention to detail.

Try Rock Auto at Rockauto.com. AC Delco master cylinder for 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 is $111 plus $25 shipping, all in Canadian dollars. No border hassles whatsoever. The other brands are less than$100.

I've ordered from them over 25 times. Was never disappointed. Best kept secret in Canada.

By the way, many AC Delco parts are now made in China.
smile.gif

Last edited:
When it comes to stopping, I will avoid Chinese parts if I can. I would rather have a reman done here than a new M/C made in China.

I've had better luck with new chinese master cylinders than cardone reman's.. Last reman I used I had to retap the holes for the brake lines, they had buffed the master cylinder so hard prior to rebuild they had removed the first few threads in the holes.

Originally Posted by Lubener
When it comes to stopping, I will avoid Chinese parts if I can. I would rather have a reman done here than a new M/C made in China.

I use Raybestos Element 3 new calipers made in China a lot and cant honestly say a bad thing about them, they are well made and corrode less them new OE.
Cardone remans are the worst crap ever made, I rather rebuild my own with new piston and seals, at least I know how to do it right not like some minimum wage OJT worker.

Originally Posted by apollo18
hey guys got a 2003 gmc truck and noticed the brake fluid is light green/olive color so going to be chagning it asap. also the master cylinder is leaky so just gonna get a new one.
the ac delco one is almost $200 here in canada looking online and i dont really wanna spend that much if i dont have to.
is it ok if i just get a aftermarket one?

i found these ones for a decent price

RAYBESTOSMC390542
CENTRIC13066042
WAGNERMC144044

ill also call napa and local part sources and see what they have. just based off looking at the brands im leaning towards the raybestos, but wondering if it really matters the brand or what you would do in this case?

thx

Also check rockauto.com , if they sell to Canada .

I've installed a Chinese Cardone Select new MC in a ex-friend's Tahoe. Last I've heard, it was still working fine.

thanks for the help and i actually did get these prices from rock auto.

the ac delco that it states is for my truck is the:
ACDELCO 18M1107 {#19108093, 19176576} Professional which is $168 cad.

and the other

RAYBESTOS MC390542 $89
CENTRIC 13066042 $99
WAGNER MC144044 $78

so out of these 3 mastercylinders is there one that is better then the others or are all essentially the same? i tbh dont want to spend the $170 for the ac delco but if consensus is that it is best to buy oem master cylinders then i will, if not, how can i choose the best out of the 3 aftermarket ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back