HUBB reusable stainless steel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUBB's patented design provides your vehicles with the following advantages over standard paper filters:

Are built with a surgical stainless steel weave to capture contaminants as small as 5 microns
Include 2 pressure differential valves for increased oil flow and engine safety
Use easy-to-clean, reusable internal parts
Improve oil flow by up to 5 times, when compared to conventional filters, to reduce engine friction
Produce an oil flow rate of up to 50 gallons/minute, compared to 10-12 gallons/minute for conventional filters
Require .2 PSI/gallon to push oil flow, compared to 7 PSI/gallon for conventional filters

https://hubbfilters.com/oil-filters/

HUBB's filter efficiency is 99% of contaminants at 25 microns versus only 52% for a conventional filter.

That does not sound very efficient, compared to a Fram Ultra?

I think 99% @ 25 microns is the best I've seen advertised for a stainless steel cleanable filter.

Geez, what a PITA. Reminds me of the dark ages of the 60's servicing oil bath air cleaners. I'll gladly fork over the $1/thousand miles it costs to get a high quality spin on oil filter to avoid that hassle and mess.

I'm lost on the bit that says you have to send the filters back to HUBB to be cleaned. If they could be cleaned in a bucket of spirits with a paintbrush I might have been sold. But either you send the filter back to them or buy their ultrasonic cleaning system and cleaning fluid. No thanks.

So you gotta take them apart and use a special expensive cleaning station, the cost of a filter and a cleaning station is like $600-700, and a gallon of fluid is like $40, It takes 9oz fluid to clean an individual small filter and 18oz to clean a large one, which means that it costs like $3-5 to clean the filter in materials alone, you can buy a disposable filter for that much, and in a fleet these would take so much time to mess with taking apart and cleaning these and putting them back together, that when you consider the fact that mechanics don't work for free it'd have to be much more cost effective just to use a disposable filter that can be removed in seconds and replaced with a new one.

Originally Posted by Trav
I don't understand how it does this..
Up to 30% carbon monoxide emissions and 16% nitric oxide emissions reduction

The whole website is full of nonsense like that which is typical for these "improved mousetrap" devices.

thumbsup2.gif
It sure looks that way.

Like other synthetic filters with smooth, non absorbent, consistent fibers, you lose the randomness of natural fiber sizes for filtering the finest particles plus the ability to trap particles and moisture in the fiber itself. Seems cheaper and cleaner to buy a Fram Ultra or similar and recycle the used filter.
Also, where is the customer dumping his cleaning solution? I know I have no place for it. Many years ago we poured our used oil along the fence.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Like other synthetic filters with smooth, non absorbent, consistent fibers, you lose the randomness of natural fiber sizes for filtering the finest particles plus the ability to trap particles and moisture in the fiber itself. Seems cheaper and cleaner to buy a Fram Ultra or similar and recycle the used filter.
Also, where is the customer dumping his cleaning solution? I know I have no place for it. Many years ago we poured our used oil along the fence.

Or used it to keep down the dust on the road in front of the house, burn brushpiles and household trash.

Rod

That unit looks to have elements much like the ones we use on aircraft. I typically clean those elements in the ultrasonic cleaner. But our fluids are clean, unlike motor oil....

A filter like that would do well with a differential pressure indicator. So the operator could easily determine when to clean the unit. No sense in cleaning it at every oil change if it's not necessary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back