Tired of Using Cassette Player with iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by maxdustington
AUX inputs are so 2010, bluetooth is the way to roll now.

Just personal opinion, but I've yet to find an automotive Bluetooth connection that sounds perfect. I find that a wired connection sounds far better. I tend to use the USB on rental cars instead of Bluetooth. Mostly for audio quality.
It just seems so much slicker than a AUX cable, and you could use it to talk on the phone if you wanted to.
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by maxdustington

2. Just get a HU and wire it up so OP can jam to Gordon Lightfoot while they drive.

Gordon Lightfoot, best thing besides the Trans Am that Canada has given me.
smile.gif
wink.gif

I attended school not far from the plant about a decade ago. Niagara lost a ton of jobs from that plant and the John Deere plant closing in Welland.

I'd second the other poster, Crutchfield is the way to go. You don't need to do anything besides get a new head unit with aux/USB/BT. In many cases the head unit itself lends to better sounding music through the stock speakers. I used a aux cassette doohickey for one month. Regardless of what car or speaker system you have, they all stink.

I remember one night on a road trip the factory cd player in my 300ZX bit the dust. I went to Walmart,bought the Scosche dash kit, wiring harness, and installed a new cd player in about 10 minutes.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Thanks bruh, now you have Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald stuck in my head now.

Excellent song!

Originally Posted by miden851
That's your cheapest option; if you cannot find specific for your head unit, it's time to update your stereo; GL

[Linked Image]

What in the world is that? Don't tease me
21.gif

Gebo,
Dude,

It is time. I was once like you with the Trans Am. 2 years I ago I picked up a nice Pioneer closeout head unit at Car Toys. Install kit, harness and radio was just over 150.00 bucks. Radio has USB, CD player, Bluetooth and Aux port.
Trans Am originally had all Bose. The radio sounds great and it was so worth it. I later spent 80 bucks to get the box that allows me to use the steering wheel controls

It is time.
smile.gif

A friend of mine had me drive his Burt Reynolds Trans Am from Topeka KS back to VA in the 80's. It was so much fun as almost everywhere I stopped to eat the waitresses just begged me to talk. They thought I was Andy Griffith. Yep , those were the days.

Is1Mike, what were you saying?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Gebo
Yep. This is what I wanna get rid of.
So what exactly are you trying to achieve here?

What audio sources do you want to be able to listen to?

IPhone. I'm tired of buying those cheap cassette playing things that snap crackle and pop like my knees when I carry two 5 qt jugs of oil up the basement steps.

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
I'd second the other poster, Crutchfield is the way to go. You don't need to do anything besides get a new head unit with aux/USB/BT. In many cases the head unit itself lends to better sounding music through the stock speakers. I used a aux cassette doohickey for one month. Regardless of what car or speaker system you have, they all stink.

I watched my pal Scotty Kilmer put a unit in his wife's ES300 and now I'm coveting one. He said to try and get a "plug and play" (my words) that would plug in directly with my system. On Crutchfield I read where it says to attach it to your parking brake and all this kind of junk and it scares me. One says your left or right fader won't work. I'll just have to call Crutchfield and see what they say.

I'm gonna do more research and see if I can find that company that installed auxiliary's in stock units.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i would go to a auto stereo place and ask them what options you have. they deal with this kind of stuff all the time i bet.

I'm at the point of submission of your suggestion.

Originally Posted by miden851
That's your cheapest option; if you cannot find specific for your head unit, it's time to update your stereo; GL

[Linked Image]

What in the world is that? Don't tease me
21.gif

That's your adapter for your sound needs/wants that you're trying to accomplish; it works better than Bluetooth; it is different depending if the model of your stereo but it does exactly the same, sending the sound from your iPhone to your speakers

It looks like that once you properly install it

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

Gebo,
Dude,

It is time. I was once like you with the Trans Am. 2 years I ago I picked up a nice Pioneer closeout head unit at Car Toys. Install kit, harness and radio was just over 150.00 bucks. Radio has USB, CD player, Bluetooth and Aux port.
Trans Am originally had all Bose. The radio sounds great and it was so worth it. I later spent 80 bucks to get the box that allows me to use the steering wheel controls

It is time.
smile.gif

A friend of mine had me drive his Burt Reynolds Trans Am from Topeka KS back to VA in the 80's. It was so much fun as almost everywhere I stopped to eat the waitresses just begged me to talk. They thought I was Andy Griffith. Yep , those were the days.

Is1Mike, what were you saying?

In a nutshell get a new radio, head unit...It will look clean and everything you need.
My Trans Am had a tape deck and I messed around with all kinds of options because I wanted to keep the head unit. It was just easier and smarter to chuck the stock one and get everything need to install with. With the install kit and harness it took less than an hour. Like I said... it is time.
smile.gif

If you can find a double-DIN for the UCF20(and there are), a modern Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood/JVC DDIN with CarPlay/Android Auto can fit into that opening. Since you have Nak sound, you'll need to find an interface to power on the Nak amp and feed it line-level signals. The Nakamichi systems are a totally different beast than the current Harman(JBL/Mark Levinson) systems Toyota is using. This might work: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12706_Metra-70-8112.html

For the 05, the job is more involved if not impossible. You'll need to find a JDM Beat-Sonic dash kit. You don't have navigation, so no Mark Levinson amp or 68kohm resistor to keep AVC-LAN happy. You just need a steering wheel control interface from Axxess or PAC to keep the steering wheel controls.

For the deck, I like Pioneer.

Last edited:
Get a good quality bluetooth speaker and use it with your phone. I feel like, all car stereos are made to make as much difficult possible to tweak or replace. I am dealing with similar issues with 2006 Sentra/ I thought of replacing head unit but the plastic has become brittle. I am afraid I may end up breaking a clip or two so I do not want to touch anything. I am just getting a bluetooth speaker to use it with the phone.

Originally Posted by Silverado12

Thanks bruh, now you have Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald stuck in my head now.

He has a lot better songs than that in his songbook.
Gord is Gold, buddy!

NAK made the best sounding Japanses electronics in the 90s.

When try to get good sound out of a CD player ages ago only the OMS 7A or 5A would do the trick under 2 grand.
Note that players were auditoned through my roomates system of: a Audio Research Preamp, Bedini power amp and Martin Logan electrostatics

That's why Yamaha was called Yama Ha-Ha, Sansui San-Sewer.

I'm not sure a replacement will come up to that standard.

I would look for head unit schematics and see when you could make a line level IN TAP. Be sure to portect with a cap to GND as a nasty - electronics killer - static prophylactic

But is the cassette adapter not cutting it? Should be better than bluetooth compression and top of compressed files that would Sound like garbage.

Last edited:
Get an FM transmitter - connect to the phone with Bluetooth and transmit an FM signal to the radio. It's a $20 device widely available on Amazon.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Get an FM transmitter - connect to the phone with Bluetooth and transmit an FM signal to the radio. It's a $20 device widely available on Amazon.

Tried 3. Didn't work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back