Dash cam restarting only via OBDII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks.

A few weeks ago I picked up an Aukey DR02J and installed in the Alfa via OBD II connection using their install kit. Install was a breeze and I don't have any complaints about the cam itself but I'm wondering if SGW is causing a restarting issue I'm having with it. There's no rhyme or reason for the restarts, sporadic cam restarts will occur while driving or even just changing the settings of the cam with the car off. I've tried several attempts at troubleshooting with Aukey (they've been great at trying to fix this) but unfortunately nothing has worked. They sent me a new cam which didn't solve the problem and a new install kit which also didn't solve the problem.

However, if I use the USB as a power source, the restarting issue goes away completely. I've also taken the cam and install kit and installed into my wife's Mazda CX-5. No issues there. So the issue has been narrowed down to the OBD II. I can't help but wonder if the SGW is somehow playing a role in this. I know it shouldn't, but perhaps it's more impactful than first assumed.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Last edited:
No similar experience, just that Dash Cams can be darn finicky.

When you say SGW, do you mean the built-in security gateway, or do you mean a bypass plug you've installed? But even then, I'm not familiar with Alfa Romeo's SGW implementation, so I wouldn't be able to help you anyway.

Can you measure the voltage off the ODB II connector? Does it vary much?

I know from my CANBUS programming days the allowable voltage range is, basically, anything. I would not rely on it for powering electronics unless some serious capacitance, buck and boost circuitry was in between... really, I would not rely on it for power at all. Nor did we.

There has been issues with higher end European cars such as Ferrari that have caused gremlins after installation of dash cams. I know you are not driving a Ferrari...but lineage is there.

Originally Posted by HangFire
No similar experience, just that Dash Cams can be darn finicky.

When you say SGW, do you mean the built-in security gateway, or do you mean a bypass plug you've installed? But even then, I'm not familiar with Alfa Romeo's SGW implementation, so I wouldn't be able to help you anyway.

Can you measure the voltage off the ODB II connector? Does it vary much?

I know from my CANBUS programming days the allowable voltage range is, basically, anything. I would not rely on it for powering electronics unless some serious capacitance, buck and boost circuitry was in between... really, I would not rely on it for power at all. Nor did we.

Yes I'm referring to the built-in security gateway. FCA starting installing these in 2018.

I didn't think about measuring voltage off the connector, what's the best way to do so? Any particular pin to take the reading from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back