ST 0W-20 2013 Sienna 100k

Super tech 0w-20. I accidentally wrote 0w-30 on the slip I sent in. I've been sticking with the Toyota recommended 10k interval.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 284
Originally Posted by diyjake
Is this the first time using ST 0w20 in this Sienna?

No. The second change in a row. Before was pennzoil platinum. Before that all done at the Toyota dealer.

I use ST sometimes and reports like yours proves that it is in need very good oil. What filter did you use?

It shows a lot more about the specific engine and the operating conditions as opposed to the oil. As Blackstone themselves have indicated they see no statistically significant difference in UOA wear results between any appropriately rated oil.

It thinned out a little (cst@100) and there's some fuel dilution in there (.5) - which Blackstone didn't mention. I'd stick with 7K OCIs with this oil.
Otherwise, I'd suggest 10K runs.

Were you getting Toyota's synthetic oil at the dealer? (which is better than ST). Or was it bulk synblend 0W20 for 10K runs? If it was bulk synblend, then try 10K with STsyn

Just keep sniffing the dipstick for fuel in the latter part of that next 10k run. You may even smell it inside the vehicle once in a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
It thinned out a little (cst@100) and there's some fuel dilution in there (.5) - which Blackstone didn't mention. I'd stick with 7K OCIs with this oil.

Were you getting Toyota's synthetic oil at the dealer? (which is better than ST). Or was it bulk synblend 0W20 for 10K runs? If it was bulk synblend, then try 10K with STsyn

Just keep sniffing the dipstick for fuel in the latter part of that next 10k run. You may even smell it inside the vehicle once in a while.

Before I was just letting Toyota change the oil. So not sure if it was their bulk stuff or what. I continue to use the genuine Toyota filter. This van sees a lot of very short trips to and from school. Very few long trips. I'd say the oil only gets up to temp around once a week, and my wife doesn't drive it very hard. Since the oil changes are so infrequent, I may use either genuine Toyota oil or some other brand and continue my 10k changes.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I see little evidence to suggest that you need to do anything other than ST 0w20 at 10k intervals. Flash point is excellent at 425, wear metals in check, and it meets the Toyota requirement.

Nice boring report.

Thank you for the feedback. I find all these forums fascinating. Lots to learn.

Originally Posted by Mangos86

Before I was just letting Toyota change the oil. So not sure if it was their bulk stuff or what. I continue to use the genuine Toyota filter. This van sees a lot of very short trips to and from school. Very few long trips. I'd say the oil only gets up to temp around once a week, and my wife doesn't drive it very hard. Since the oil changes are so infrequent, I may use either genuine Toyota oil or some other brand and continue my 10k changes.

The bulk stuff might have been in the $35 range for oil change-only. But if it was Synthetic, they may have charged you $65+ for oil change-only.
If you were paying the lesser amount, that indicates the motor is easy on oil and going 10K with Supertech syn and little to none fuel smell for 10K, might be fine to try-out.

I use ST sometimes and reports like yours proves that it is in need very good oil. What filter did you use?

To add,,, an oil that meets the specs from a quality blender gets the job done with out sponsoring NASCAR.

Some oils are like jobs...... oils/jobs done better than others. Any good mechanic will tell you this.
Buy oils that proclaim they exceed specs..... not just meet specs. The Exceeders are usually the ones sponsoring NASCAR events.

Last edited:
Some oils are like jobs...... oils/jobs done better than others. Any good mechanic will tell you this.
Buy oils that proclaim they exceed specs..... not just meet specs. The Exceeders are usually the ones sponsoring NASCAR events.

If they are making that determination by the results of meaningful tests of course, such as the Sequence IVA for wear or ASTM D7097 (TEOST) for deposit control. But a typical UOA as presented here is incapable of making such a distinction.

I just bought some ST 0w20 today for my Camry. And some 0w16 for the new Rav4.

Is nobody else concerned that it sheared from a 30 to a 20 and blackstone recommends going longer? I wouldn't go any farther than that and I'd probably consider dropping back a bit. With no TBN or accurate fuel dilution readings I would not have any confidence to extend the OCI. However the flash point does indicate very little dilution

Originally Posted by STIcandy
Is nobody else concerned that it sheared from a 30 to a 20 and blackstone recommends going longer? I wouldn't go any farther than that and I'd probably consider dropping back a bit. With no TBN or accurate fuel dilution readings I would not have any confidence to extend the OCI. However the flash point does indicate very little dilution

OP said he wrote 0W30 accidentally on the slip he sent to Blackstone.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I see little evidence to suggest that you need to do anything other than ST 0w20 at 10k intervals. Flash point is excellent at 425, wear metals in check, and it meets the Toyota requirement.

Nice boring report.

Agreed. TBN would have been nice to see but otherwise this is a winning combination (engine+ oil) IMO. Some would love to see these kind of numbers after just a 5k mile drain interval!
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
Originally Posted by STIcandy

OP said he wrote 0W30 accidentally on the slip he sent to Blackstone.

Oh I must have missed that. OK then. Much better!

I also have a 2014 Toyota V6 and because of the timing chain, I prefer a drain/fill every 5K and an oil filter every 10K. My supporting evidence is the BkackStone particle count data@10K is lower than what most forum members post. So far I have done two Toyota V6 and one Lexus V6 PC runs and the data is agreement.

Last edited:
Back