Wider rear tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, I own a Toyota Camry and it needs new tires. I want to buy wider tires for it, from 215/55/17 to 233/50/17.

Is it of any logic using wider tires rear and slim tires in front, in front wheel drive vehicles?

Logic?
No.
Stick with OEM size, that way you can rotate the tires and get more of your money out of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by drop
Is it of any logic using wider tires rear and slim tires in front, in front wheel drive vehicles?

What is your logic for considering wider tires on the back of front wheel drive?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Unless you do frequent high speed cornering, you should be fine.

Yeah, in high speed cornering in bad weather, the rears would probably lose traction and you'll just spin out. Otherwise you'd have a hard time rotating the tires. There's actually no good logical reason to do what's proposed. You'd have to get a degree in engineering to really understand why.

Hello there, I own a Toyota Camry and it needs new tires. I want to buy wider tires for it, from 215/55/17 to 233/50/17.

No, if anything you'd want wider tires in the front. There are a few FWD and FWD-based AWD performance cars that are set up this way. You definitely don't want wider tires on the back. You'll lose traction and increase understeer even more.

Go stock size on all 4 wheels. Be reminded, it's a Camry. You'll look like a buffoon driving down the road.

Messing around with odd tire sizes is a ridiculous, unoriginal idea steeped in childish copycatism and ignorant consumerism.

It'll cost you more and disadvantage you in the event any insurance claim is involved.

There's nothing to be gained by what you're considering.

?

PLEASE SIR can you tell me where you have found those 233/50/17 tires and how much they want to ship them to the USA?

coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
Go stock size on all 4 wheels. Be reminded, it's a Camry. You'll look like a buffoon driving down the road.

Messing around with odd tire sizes is a ridiculous, unoriginal idea steeped in childish copycatism and ignorant consumerism.

It'll cost you more and disadvantage you in the event any insurance claim is involved.

There's nothing to be gained by what you're considering.

You guys know the OP is in Mexico? As long as the belts aren't coming through the rubber, any tire that fits the rim is fine.

If you're just daily commuting and driving smart, I don't see a problem, especially if you're trying to save money. If you're thinking of a performance aspect, then no you don't want it like that.

So you want to add more to already excessive understeer in Camry?

Originally Posted by AZjeff

What is your logic for considering wider tires on the back of front wheel drive?

THIS
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by AZjeff

It's the coolness logic.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back