How is this possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

V10

Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10w60. Same oil two different technical data sheet numbers.

Can anyone explain how this is possible.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 20
  • 0 bytes · Views: 15
Different revisions of the data sheet. One is Version 3 dated Feb 12, 2013, and the other is Version 3.1 dated Oct 24, 2013.

One spec sheet is newer than the other, so they must have updated the formulation and the technical info. Revision date at bottom RH corner of the page (v3 went to v3.1).

I wouldn't trust either one. Maybe you want to get something newer than 7 years old?
smile.gif

Date sheets have always been inconsistent, and most producers have been guilty to some extent. And I agree with Snagglefoot, 2013 data sheets? If you need a 10W-60, there are other choices I'd use instead of this stuff. The second data sheet .... Meets MB 229.1. That's an ancient spec.

Scott

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Date sheets have always been inconsistent, and most producers have been guilty to some extent. And I agree with Snagglefoot, 2013 data sheets? If you need a 10W-60, there are other choices I'd use instead of this stuff. The second data sheet .... Meets MB 229.1. That's an ancient spec.

Scott

I do not think 10W60 can meet MB 229.3 and 229.5 due to fuel efficiency requirements.

Pennzoil tech data sheets were only updated when there was a compelling reason to do so. On a very low volume product, licenses would only be obtained if there were OEMs recommending a grade in which there was no certification. That might generate a new TDS, or maybe just a new label on the bottle. On a low volume product like a 10W-60, a date on a TDS a few years old isn't in and of itself significant.

Originally Posted by Scuder
Pennzoil tech data sheets were only updated when there was a compelling reason to do so. On a very low volume product, licenses would only be obtained if there were OEMs recommending a grade in which there was no certification. That might generate a new TDS, or maybe just a new label on the bottle. On a low volume product like a 10W-60, a date on a TDS a few years old isn't in and of itself significant.

This Shell is probably smae thing that is packed as BMW TPT 10W60. It is driven by demands of BMW and few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back