Quiet riding tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by Trav
The Vredstein Quatrac 5 is a good tire but has a poor wear rating, I seriously considered them but that was a deal killer.

Continental PureContact LS was rated 90,000 miles in Consumer Reports test and they rated it outstanding.

What does the 90K mile 700 treadwear rating on the Conti have to do with the Vredstein with a treadwear of 400?

Originally Posted by wolf_06
Originally Posted by Mangos86
Any reason you won't go with the rt43? I came back to them after giving Michelin a [censored] on my sienna.

they dont seem be top rated anymore according to Tire Rack

It's on the Internet it must be true....................

I had these tires-I liked them-but they are not "highly" rated on one particular site.

Just don't get the thought process here.

Between those two, I'd go with the Contis since Pirelli tends to be short-lived and per TR not too great in the rain. They might have fixed the issue with the North American-specific Plus series. Pirelli can make a quiet tire, Contis can get noisy as they age. A friend had P4 Pluses on her Yaris and they seemed to ride good and handle the Portland rain.

The Michelin Premier or Primacy Tour A/S would be my pick for NVH in that size - but they don't have a tire that measured up to the quiet of the Energy MXV4/Primacy MXV4 series. Car makers who cared about tire noise installed these - BMW and Mercedes installed them on their US-bound cars, Lexus used them on the ES/RX and Honda for years installed MXV4s on the Accord.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
I am using the Conti TrueContacts on mine. Very Quiet tire.The Pirelli is a great tire also, except gets loud and very squirrely in rain when it gets worn down a bit.The RT43 is also a great tire, but is slightly louder.

Continental TrueContacts were also very quiet on my former vehicle, a 2009 Subaru Forester. I traded it in with the conti's only being less than a yr old, never had chance to try them out in deep snow, which I was hoping for. All indications were they would have excelled in snow and slush. Quality tire.

My 50 years of tire purchases have mostly been in pursuit of a better quality of tire line rather than a particular model. I've sampled most of the majors with the exception of Goodyear/Firestone. Some were ok, most marginal in quietness, tread wear. Finally I found a brand that I think is superior.

Get yourself a set of Cooper CS5 Ultras or Grand Touring. These are the real deal and made in America.

The Vredstein Quatrac 5 is a good tire but has a poor wear rating, I seriously considered them but that was a deal killer.

Consumer's Reports puts the wear estimate for the replacement (Quatrac Pro) at 60K miles, though the UTQG rating is still 400-so it seems like the Quatrac Pro is better. In my experience, Contis seems to last a long time but get unbearably noisy when they're half-way through their life, but this was on some older model tires. Maybe they've improved.

Bigger question: who wants 90K mile tires!? That's way too much of a commitment for me. I mean, if you're driving >25K a year, I guess it may make sense, but I really don't want to be wedded to a tire for that long.

I drive >25k per year.
smile.gif

But I only get about 40k per set. RT43's with UTQG of 700? 40k. 70k warranty? 40k. I try to make plans to remove around 4/32's so if I have 4/32's after 40k, then I'm doing good. But sometimes I don't even have that much.

I suspect my roads stay rough, from the sand they put down and studded tire usage, so tires might wear fast. Also the roads are older and I guess with lots of turns per mile.

Anyhow, a UTQG of 400, that is something I can't imagine buying!

Originally Posted by Char Baby

Not to argue however, Tire Rack's test doesn't particularly consider the Quatrac 5 a quiet tire. But, the Customer Rating/Review may show it to be quiet, IDK!

I believe TR even mentioned that the Quatrac 5 was one of the louder tires in its particular test. I guess this doesn't mean it's a loud tire, just more noticable I suppose?

TR site is down right now so I can't double check yet.

That Q 5 has interested me for a while.
As for noise and wear, I wonder if we are seeing a noisy looking tread block that is off-set with a soft compound. I've had that experience with Goodyear a long, long time ago.
That would seem to explain the higher wear and yet a tire not as noisy as it might appear or one expects. I like what that tire looks like for capability as A/S for my AWD wagen and the price makes it tempting. Even a short life wouldn't be too costly for my expectations. Not sure if I need the aggressive tread, though it would be a good excuse to up my ski days and get to mountains more often.
May still consider Conti DWS ext. Had them and they did well on rwd 4 seasons in CO. No small thing.

In my quasi recent use / purchases - I have begun to rack up mileage on the "regular" yokohama avid ascend in 235 65 17 size and it is extremely impressive & a total pleasure to drive

i also have been racking up miles on my other car on a cooper touring tire & have been pretty impressed
it's called the cooper evolution tour it has a compliant ride and quiet too - i have noticed that this model seems to have been harpooned (in tire rack track testing) a bit "in the wet" but I haven't had really much rain use with them to be able to opine on em in damp conditions-

the kumho solus kh 16 is also outstanding but don't like as much as avid ascend (excellent durability on solus though)

i would think the p7 tire would be a good choice -
my "limited" experience driving on Pirelli's was positive!! my brother had set on his pickup & they performed real nice [i'd use That truck pretty often] , they were the scorpion 🦂 zero model ✔ï¸

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back