Switch to 504?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil barrel was blue in colour
smile.gif
with an Exxon Pegasus logo on a sticker....5w30 & DPF friendly ie "low saps"....I am not 100% certain...but I think that it was Acea C3

Nowadays toyota is all FE/CAFE.... ACEA C2

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
The oil barrel was blue in colour
smile.gif
with an Exxon Pegasus logo on a sticker....5w30 & DPF friendly ie "low saps"....I am not 100% certain...but I think that it was Acea C3

Nowadays toyota is all FE/CAFE.... ACEA C2

Ah...forgot your in The Europe. It is probably Low-saps ESP then.

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
502 is pretty much obsolete at this point. Only advantage is price, which is not that much difference.

Thats why you always combine specs together as VW-MB-BMW

For low/mid saps oils it is usually like: vw504 /507.... MB 229.51.... BMW LL-04
smile.gif

Edit: its funny to observe how americans are reluctant to put lets say a VW spec in Toyota (my example in a sig).... Although VW spec is in this case far superior from what Toyota specs for that car
smile.gif

Why should the Oil/manufacturers pay for a spec that isn't needed ?? Has to be done on every oil. It requires development. Oil manufacturers submitted oil samples based on requirements to VW, who then validated the results. They then offer the certification. It boils down to COST, CHOICE and FREEDOM, Since your bringing up the American thing...
cool.gif

Yeah, purely American thing
33.gif

smile.gif
haha...I have a feeling that Americans often look on the "outside world" as on "ahhh those 3rd world countries"

Where I live I have plenty of neighbours & visitors from abroad....but every single neighbour admit that we live far better lives that they used to live when they were in their original countries...

Edit: I am a free citizen over here..... I am not typing that from a jail
lol.gif

Last edited:
smile.gif
haha...I have a feeling that Americans often look on the "outside world" as on "ahhh those 3rd world countries"

Where I live I have plenty of neighbours & visitors from abroad....but every single neighbour admit that we live far better lives that they used to live when they were in their original countries...

Edit: I am a free citizen over here..... I am not typing that from a jail
lol.gif

I have travelled fairly extensively and Slovenia remains among my favorite countries, especially the north-west corner. Spectacularly beautiful.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

I have travelled fairly extensively and Slovenia remains among my favorite countries, especially the north-west corner. Spectacularly beautiful.

I am @ that corner almost every weekend.....for me its even better than VW504/507 norm
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by motech
I've got a 2017 VW Tiguan that's almost out of warranty: almost exclusively short-tripped so I do the oil changes at 5k. Engine requires 502 spec oil. Would switching to a 504 be 'better', or not worth it with my short OCI?

You can choose from two types of service regimes, depending on your driving methods.
Fixed Service (Time and Distance)

We recommend this service if you are likely to drive less than 10,0001 miles in a year, and if you tend to drive in the following way:
Mainly city centre driving, short journeys with frequent cold starts
High engine loading activities, e.g. frequent hill climbs, driving with your vehicle fully loaded and towing
Uneconomical driving using high rpms with heavy acceleration and heavy braking.

Flexible Service Regime (LongLife Service)

We recommend this service if you are likely to drive more than 25 miles a day, and if you tend to drive in the following way:
Regular long distance driving
Driving at a constant speed with minimum vehicle and engine loading, and minimal towing
Economical driving

Fixed service is the one for you. VW502.00 is the best fixed service oil for your car.

I ran a VOA on the VW 504 0w30 via Blackstone- got back the following results:

Moly ------------------ 67
Phosphorous ------ 722
Zinc ------------------ 790
Boron --------------- 260
Calcium ------------ 1442
Magnesium ------- 12

SUS Visc @ 210 F: 65.2
cSt Visc @100 C: 11.66
Flashpoint: 440
TBN: 8.9

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06
Doesn't the VW oils begin with a lower TBN to begin with? I've read 3-4 points lower than a Mid/high SAPS oil? But they use a better base stock so it doesn't correlate. Also, the TBN drops low early in OCI but flatlines and stabilizes at a lower level throuout the OCI?

Here's my graph of TBN for my last three changes and a VOA as a starting point. Liquimoly Leichtlauf 5W40 (502). I need a few early change (1, 2, 3K) samples and I may do that this change to complete my graph but I suspect you are right - an initial drop followed by a flattening out. I'd be curious how the 504 oils look w/r to TBN over 9K changes with our U.S. fuels.

Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back