Snapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger

Another tip is to mark the inside of the bucket....1 gallon, 2 gallons etc.

thumbsup2.gif

Sure....Some of their stuff is way overpriced for what it is, That's why I have tools from 40+ different manufactures, Not just Snap-on.

I think you answered your own question.
It's way overpriced for what it is.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
What cars require this setup?

Now that I have one, ALL cars.

So much faster/better. 5 minutes to completely fill the system and eliminate all air pockets. The job is done, and done completely, in minutes.

No more idling, waiting for the thermostat to open, purging air and refilling.

It's just done.

On my MB, this is the only way to eliminate air pockets and get a good bleed in the intercooler system. Air pockets in that system reduce engine performance by reducing heat transfer.

That's why I bought it.

Now that I've got it, though, I use it for every car. It's a huge improvement over the old way of doing a cooling system fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14

So much faster/better. 5 minutes to completely fill the system and eliminate all air pockets. The job is done, and done completely, in minutes.

It's just done.

On my MB, this is the only way to eliminate air pockets and get a good bleed in the intercooler system. Air pockets in that system reduce engine performance by reducing heat transfer.

That's why I bought it.

Now that I've got it, though, I use it for every car. It's a huge improvement over the old way of doing a cooling system fill.

True. Once you've used one you'll wonder how you got by w/o it.

The MB can be a real bear without one, back in the day before these tools were available we did a lot of them with a siphon bulb and hose. I do have a Stant pressure tester but not the adapter for the vacuum tool.
It hardly gets used these days as almost everything I work on have no radiator caps. I work on mostly Euro stuff today by choice.

The vacuum filler is one of the best tools I ever bought and used.

Very nice tool! I'd like to have one of those in my box but since I'm not doing it at the pro level anymore I'll probably cheap out and get an Air Lift.

The last shop I was at had the Blue Point vacuum filler as a shop tool. It was pretty handy once it wore out they got an Air Lift. That Snap On looks much sturdier built than the Air Lift for sure but it did the job.

Like I said, Pro mechanics have adapters making the Snap-on design an advantage to the very people their tools are designed for. I'll never understand why Snap-on Tool threads attract negative comments from people that don't even wrench for a living & more than likely have ZERO experience to base their comments on OTHER than the price.

Sure....Some of their stuff is way overpriced for what it is, That's why I have tools from 40+ different manufactures, Not just Snap-on.

As a mechanic, like you I own a variety of brands, but I think most of the negativity results from the fanboys that will brag and buy nothing else but snatch-on. No matter what tool it is.

Same here, lots of top shelf brands inc some Snap on. No real brand loyalty here, a good quality tool is a good quality tool end of story.
Most of mine are German, USA and Japanese but there are some Taiwan stuff in there also. one tool from them I bought a few years ago is a fuel tank cover wrench, its fine the quality is decent and it does the job. No need for a high end tool for this job, very light duty service.

It's just done.

That's why I bought it.

Nice. That would save a lot of time. Probably not much of a benefit for a DIY'r such as myself, but I can see it being useful.

In the perfect world, I may do 1 or 2 cooling system fluid swaps and/ or repairs a year.

Well, if you save an hour on each of those jobs, and you eliminate the chance of hot spots, I would call that worth it...

Honestly, if I had known that this capability existed, I would've bought one decades ago....amortizing it over dozens of cooling system jobs.

Honestly, if I had known that this capability existed, I would've bought one decades ago....amortizing it over dozens of cooling system jobs.[/quote]

^yes me too!
How long have these been common place in the shops?

Well, if you save an hour on each of those jobs, and you eliminate the chance of hot spots, I would call that worth it...

Honestly, if I had known that this capability existed, I would've bought one decades ago....amortizing it over dozens of cooling system jobs.

+1 Well worth it!!!!

It sure beats the heck out of a piece of hose and siphon bulb that's for sure. On some cars its almost impossible to do the job without one of these tools, the engine can be overheating and you wont know it because the temp sensor is not immersed in fluid only air.
If you fill without one of these tools and the head(s) are getting hot and no warm air going through the heater and cold hoses its a sure bet this is what has happened, shut it down and let it cool off then try filling through the upper hose.

Originally Posted by atikovi

2 1/2 times as much as the most popular brand? And it looks like the adaptors and case not included?

Originally Posted by Imp4
$277?!?!?
P.T. Barnum must run that company....

Knew this was coming......If you work on vehicles everyday, A coolant refiller will pay for itself many times over. The Snap-on version is one of the few that have a "Stant" connection allowing use of the same adapters used for cooling system pressure testers. The Adapters are a part of any professional mechanics tool box.
Price out a master cooling system adapter set....That will really get you guys going
lol.gif

I have the same one P10.....Awesome tool!

Clinebarger, do you happen to know if the snap-on coolant filter will work with this style of Assenmacher Radiator Adapters?

https://www.jbtools.com/assenmacher-fz13818-radiator-adapter/

Originally Posted by Kira
Do you need to get a vacuum pump to use one of these?

It uses compressed air.

That's the cool thing - the vacuum is created by a Venturi using compressed air. Not a lot of compressed air, either. Several seconds at full flow. So a big compressor isn't needed.

Last weekend I put a water pump on my wifes car. It took a LONG time to refill the cooling system. The entire time I was thinking about this thread.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
Last weekend I put a water pump on my wifes car. It took a LONG time to refill the cooling system. The entire time I was thinking about this thread.

Just get one. It don't take up much space to store, it cleans up well and it works very well. Not saying that you should get the snap on version but if other brands work as well as this one does you will be happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back