E85 in non-flex fuel Ford Expy ~2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine knows I am decent with engine topics/knowledge and came to me with an interesting question this morning. His wife put roughly 20 gallons of E85 in their non flex fuel 2013 Ford Expedition (forgot to ask if it was the V8 or Ecoboost). He was concerned if he needed to drop the tank, etc.

My summary was that he would most likely get a check engine light from the fuel trims going way too rich to compensate. He might notice hard starting/rough idle, especially in cold weather. I advised him to just drive it gently and keep topping it off with non-alcoholic gas as often as possible, but to keep driving it often to get it worked out as quickly as possible. I didn't see any reason to drop the tank, or worry any further, and simply clear the codes once he has the corn-fuel worked out of it.

Did I miss anything else I should mention to him?

That happened to a lady here at work. She asked me if it needed to be drained out. I told her to run it and don't let it sit in the tank too long. She ran it out over the course of a week and it was fine.

it'll likely get lean burn codes...that's what happened to me in my sable with the NA 3.5 if i put more than 1/4 tank of e85 in it.
1/4 or less, no worries, car didn't even notice it.
only did it the one time. (believe it was P2096/2098)

In the winter months most blenders drop the ethanol content to about 50%. E85 is very hard to start in colder temperatures. The engine should be fine, just try and run non-oxygenated fuel to quickly lower the ethanol content. It may set some engine codes than can cleared after the ethanol content drop below 30%.

Originally Posted by 03cvpi
In the winter months most blenders drop the ethanol content to about 50%. E85 is very hard to start in colder temperatures. The engine should be fine, just try and run non-oxygenated fuel to quickly lower the ethanol content. It may set some engine codes than can cleared after the ethanol content drop below 30%.

In Iowa we have a minimum of E70 required by law for E85.

No issues for that. Like stated above drive and fill back up with regular.

My 2002 Silverado gives me a lean code if I run 100% E85. I mainly run a 50/50 mix and it runs great and economy doesn't take a hit.

Didn't know they mandated a minimum 70% ethanol for E85. I bought E85 somewhere just north of Des Moine and they had one of the select a mix pumps. E10,E15,E35,E50,E85 and in little letters below the E85 button isit said something like 51 to 85% ethanol. I have to go back to Des moine next week, I'll see if I can snap a picture of it. When I drive my work truck down to Iowa, I always try to find non-oxygenated regular fuel. I use E15 to E50 in the winter and E85 during the summer in my car. E85 in my 13 Taurus gets me about 23 mpg and E10 gets me 26mpg.

On the original post E85 may set a code,but should not harm the engine at all. But E15 should be plenty safe and not set any codes, unless the vehicle takes a big mileage hit.

Ford recommends plugging in the vehicle when temps drop below 30 degrees when using E85. It makes a difference starting on cold days.

Last edited:
what is the tank capacity? If it's not full then fill it with real fuel. If it is full then break into the fuel system and power the pump to make some space in the tank for real fuel.

Originally Posted by 03cvpi
Didn't know they mandated a minimum 70% ethanol for E85. I bought E85 somewhere just north of Des Moine and they had one of the select a mix pumps. E10,E15,E35,E50,E85 and in little letters below the E85 button isit said something like 51 to 85% ethanol. I have to go back to Des moine next week, I'll see if I can snap a picture of it. When I drive my work truck down to Iowa, I always try to find non-oxygenated regular fuel. I use E15 to E50 in the winter and E85 during the summer in my car. E85 in my 13 Taurus gets me about 23 mpg and E10 gets me 26mpg.

On the original post E85 may set a code,but should not harm the engine at all. But E15 should be plenty safe and not set any codes, unless the vehicle takes a big mileage hit.

Ford recommends plugging in the vehicle when temps drop below 30 degrees when using E85. It makes a difference starting on cold days.

Yup...take a look at the picture below. This is a pump just like the one in my town. You can see the orange sticker in the top left that states a minimum of 70% and another sticker above the E85 selection that states 70% minimum.

"E85 is a low-cost fuel blend that burns cleaner than regular gasoline. In Iowa, E85 contains between 70 and 85 percent ethanol depending on the season."
https://iowarfa.org/fueling-your-vehicle/using-e85/

ethanol.jpg

None of this is inconsistent. In times of low crude oil prices such as now, there may be no cost advantage to ethanol. States that produce corn and ethanol protect that industry with a minimum requirement-- an "E85" product has to be ethanol based.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back