ZF lifeguard 6 Atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little off topic … but I'd bet some of the experts don't realize Castrol's Synthetic MV has OEM approvals …
I use in both Ford and GM and have for years …

Originally Posted by David1
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You can use Maxlife
smile.gif

toyota at is different then bmw and is differnet then nissan ect ect.. Watch the video and see if the experts are wrong and max life is right.

True however many manufacturers use the same transmission, so for example it's difficult to justify paying $15/liter for LG(x) when it's also sold under a different label (i.e. Mercon SP) for $6/liter. The ZF6HP went into both foreign and domestics. Part is marketing. Euro companies realized that there are enough owners of Euro cars who will pay more $$ for parts/fluids.

Toyota doesn't make their transmissions, they use Aisin of which they are part owner, but I bet an Aisin unit used by both Toyota and Company X will use the same fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by charmer37
You can use Maxlife
smile.gif

Maxlife works in ZF 6 speed transmissions?

Yes it does. But take into consideration that ZF6 is true synthetic gear oil. It is expensive, but IMO it is worth.
Unless you are doing flush (which you should not) use ZF6 so you do not mix oils. It is transmission oil and you are not changing it often.

ZF6 is not a synthetic. Where are you finding this Malarkey?

ZF6 is sold in Germany as full synthetic gear oil.
I could be wrong about it (as far as I know, their law about composition of base oil applies to gear lube too). However, why mixing oils? Yes Maxlife is good, and yes it si way cheaper, but it is not like one is changing gear lube every 5k.

Originally Posted by David1

I dunno about using maxlife in a bmw.. I do not a agree with 1 size fits all for ATF aka Universal ATF nor do many Transmission proffesionals and atf makers.... Did you see the video Idemitsu made and posted on you tube?

Well if not you should see this.. Also perhaps if you are low to add 1 quart of a universal ATF like MaxLife is okay however a drain and fill is not advisable.

toyota at is different then bmw and is differnet then nissan ect ect.. Watch the video and see if the experts are wrong and max life is right.

Idemitsu is Japanese, and Japanese cars are almost never picky about fluids. Honda's special PS fluid is one of the rare exceptions. Japanese automatic transmissions are not.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by edyvw

ZF6 is sold in Germany as full synthetic gear oil.
I could be wrong about it (as far as I know, their law about composition of base oil applies to gear lube too). However, why mixing oils? Yes Maxlife is good, and yes it si way cheaper, but it is not like one is changing gear lube every 5k.

http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/ZF_Lifeguard_6.pdf

Yeah, OK.
Still, I would not mix them.

I saw a ZF LG6 SDS dated 2018 that seems to indicate ZF moved to a GTL process for the LG6 base stock:

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remoteme...dfluid-6/msds-zf-lifeguardfluid-6-en.pdf

The previous SDS docs seem to indicate base stock was from crude oil, although tough to be sure because the SDS docs can be pretty vague and are not a recipe ingrediant list. The recent Mercon SP SDS doesn't give a lot of info but I would guess it is still the previous formula.

GTL processes are pretty cool, but still not worth the price increase for LG6 branded bottles. People have been using LG6 alternatives for years, now, so hurray to the internet for voiding dumb business models.

Originally Posted by charmer37

Maxlife works in ZF 6 speed transmissions?

Here is Valvoline's PDS for Maxlife ATF
thumbsup2.gif

Here is the actual analysis for Valvoline MaxLife ATF:

Label - Valvoline MaxLifeâ„¢ (Part # beginning with 773):
Boron - 272
Silicon - 2
Sodium - 8
Calcium - 230
Magnesium - 3
Phosphorus - 579
Zinc - 3
Viscosity@100C - 5.91 cSt

Commentary and Opinion: The chemical signature for this ATF is indicative of the later Dexron and Dex/Merc series of ATF's based on the original Dexron through the Dexron III(H)) and Dexron VI series of ATF's. It is closely comparative to the GM Dexron VI formulations as well as to their own Dexron VI offering, and can be classified as a low Viscosity ATF. What is notable is a boost in the Ant-Wear Phosphorus compound of about 200 ppm.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5342016/1

Originally Posted by robinasu
I saw a ZF LG6 SDS dated 2018 that seems to indicate ZF moved to a GTL process for the LG6 base stock:

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remoteme...dfluid-6/msds-zf-lifeguardfluid-6-en.pdf

The previous SDS docs seem to indicate base stock was from crude oil, although tough to be sure because the SDS docs can be pretty vague and are not a recipe ingrediant list. The recent Mercon SP SDS doesn't give a lot of info but I would guess it is still the previous formula.

GTL processes are pretty cool, but still not worth the price increase for LG6 branded bottles. People have been using LG6 alternatives for years, now, so hurray to the internet for voiding dumb business models.

Technically it IS a Shell product so GTL would not surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back