Recent Topics
Shimmy on the Hiwy
by Char Baby - 03/29/20 06:06 AM
10w40 over 5w30 diesel
by angryorc - 03/29/20 03:20 AM
Clover Overseeding.
by GumbyJarvis - 03/29/20 01:52 AM
Crawfish Boil
by BlueOvalFitter - 03/29/20 01:09 AM
Crude Pricing Dynamics
by Y_K - 03/28/20 11:24 PM
Best battery tender for AGM
by painfx - 03/28/20 10:27 PM
Tinted my DRLs
by mclasser - 03/28/20 09:04 PM
Chicken Burritos tonight
by urrlord - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
ACDelco Oil filter date code
by nwjones18 - 03/28/20 07:43 PM
GM Plastic Heater Hose T-Fitting(s) Broke!
by jetman - 03/28/20 06:26 PM
Elite Iron Bipod
by claluja - 03/28/20 05:44 PM
Uneven Pad Wear?
by JeffKeryk - 03/28/20 05:43 PM
Left valve cover leaking oil
by NH73 - 03/28/20 05:03 PM
Pennzoil platinum high mileage
by Micahmcmeen - 03/28/20 04:04 PM
Beans!
by 53' Stude - 03/28/20 03:54 PM
1997 Dodge Ram v6
by urrlord - 03/28/20 03:31 PM
Blood shortages
by 53' Stude - 03/28/20 03:09 PM
Decent little score
by JPP - 03/28/20 02:23 PM
First Time Timesert Install Questions
by The Critic - 03/28/20 01:56 PM
Ontario Nuclear update
by OVERKILL - 03/28/20 01:42 PM
Newest Members
yulichris, jeff58, jimmyturner, ChainsawGuy, jbr
71038 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
52 registered members (Amkeer, Astro14, Bighorn2500, 4WD, 1foxracing, 53' Stude, 5 invisible), 790 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics303,303
Posts5,233,541
Members71,038
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Jacking up a car by itself #5353595 02/18/20 12:44 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 2,812
A
Alfred_B Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 2,812
My SUV has air suspension where it lifts itself. I need to bleed the brakes and the lazy in me has suggested to lift the car like that, put Jack stands and then lower the car so that it ends up on the jack stands with the wheels in the air.

Is this too crazy?

Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: Alfred_B] #5353605 02/18/20 12:54 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,164
T
Trav Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,164
Citroen has been doing this for decades In fact some models didn't even come with a jack just a stand and lug wrench.


ASE L1, Master. Deutsch Meisterbrief.
Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: Alfred_B] #5353606 02/18/20 12:55 PM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,306
D
Dave9 Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,306
Not necessarily crazy, if using jack stands, except I would want more lift clearance than a typical/stock air suspension provides, just to make the job that much easier.

However I am wondering if it would really do as you describe. If you're only lifting it using the air suspension then shutting that off, won't the wheels stay in the same downward position they were in, not lift up in the air? Does it matter since you don't need wheels in the air to bleed, just clearance?

Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: Dave9] #5353623 02/18/20 01:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,164
T
Trav Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,164


ASE L1, Master. Deutsch Meisterbrief.
Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: Dave9] #5353637 02/18/20 01:31 PM
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 849
P
Pew Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 849
Originally Posted by Dave9
However I am wondering if it would really do as you describe. If you're only lifting it using the air suspension then shutting that off, won't the wheels stay in the same downward position they were in, not lift up in the air? Does it matter since you don't need wheels in the air to bleed, just clearance?


Just clearance issues, need just enough space to reach the bleeder.

Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: Dave9] #5353680 02/18/20 02:16 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 2,812
A
Alfred_B Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 2,812
Originally Posted by Dave9
Not necessarily crazy, if using jack stands, except I would want more lift clearance than a typical/stock air suspension provides, just to make the job that much easier.

However I am wondering if it would really do as you describe. If you're only lifting it using the air suspension then shutting that off, won't the wheels stay in the same downward position they were in, not lift up in the air? Does it matter since you don't need wheels in the air to bleed, just clearance?

You "lower" the car while it's on jack stands and the wheels will retract. The video Trav posted is exactly what I'm thinking of.

Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: Trav] #5353688 02/18/20 02:27 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,444
H
hallstevenson Offline
Offline
H
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,444
Originally Posted by Trav
Citroen has been doing this for decades In fact some models didn't even come with a jack just a stand and lug wrench.

There's a James Bond movie where he's driving a Citroen down a zig-zag road and doesn't he "jack" it up in order to go off-road to escape the bad guys ? grin

Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: Alfred_B] #5353732 02/18/20 03:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 785
T
tcp71 Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 785
You could put the jack stands in, lower the suspension, put boards under the wheels, raise the suspension, raise the jack stands, lower the suspension, add more boards, raise the suspension, raise the jack stands, etc until you have the height you want.


2016 F150 Eco: Edge 0w40
2005 Sienna 3.3: PP 5w30 syn. (varies)
Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: hallstevenson] #5353851 02/18/20 06:36 PM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,578
L
Leo99 Offline
Offline
L
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,578
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Trav
Citroen has been doing this for decades In fact some models didn't even come with a jack just a stand and lug wrench.

There's a James Bond movie where he's driving a Citroen down a zig-zag road and doesn't he "jack" it up in order to go off-road to escape the bad guys ? grin


Speed would just push the A button on the steering wheel.


Without data you're just another person with an opinion. W. E. Deming

2003 Corolla 250,000 miles (RIP)
2004 Corolla 125,000 miles
2004 Rav4 392,000 miles
2015 Camry 90,000 miles
Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: tcp71] #5353997 02/18/20 09:57 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 35,398
E
eljefino Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by tcp71
You could put the jack stands in, lower the suspension, put boards under the wheels, raise the suspension, raise the jack stands, lower the suspension, add more boards, raise the suspension, raise the jack stands, etc until you have the height you want.


The nerd in me likes this but the pragmatist knows if I just jack about a foot rear of the firewall with my 3 ton floor jack both tires on that side will lift off the ground and it only takes ~30 seconds.

You want ample working room bleeding brakes so you don't side-load the bleeder due to poor ergonomics and snap it off.

Re: Jacking up a car by itself [Re: hallstevenson] #5354062 02/18/20 11:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,164
T
Trav Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,164
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Trav
Citroen has been doing this for decades In fact some models didn't even come with a jack just a stand and lug wrench.

There's a James Bond movie where he's driving a Citroen down a zig-zag road and doesn't he "jack" it up in order to go off-road to escape the bad guys ? grin


Citroen's are one car you need to own and drive to fully appreciate them, older ones like the CX and SM were very strange and wonderful cars.


ASE L1, Master. Deutsch Meisterbrief.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™