Larger fuel filter on Riding mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i currently have an older scotts (john deere) S1742 with a single cylinder 17hp INTEK engine and i wanted to replace the fuel filter and the manual says to use

AM38708 which is the small disc type fuel filters with no paper media in them.

i wanted to know if i could run a larger clear inline filter like this one with no issues like this one https://www.amazon.com/iFJF-Diameter-Motorcycle-Craftsman-Large-Displacement/dp/B07BS875L7 or something in that style.

thanks

Last edited:
Yes you can but make sure the exit to the carb is at the bottom. If it sits horizontal or tipped exit up you will suck air once in a while. The old disc ones are just a filter screen. I run the same one on a Swisher field mower and a small 18 hp Troy Bilt yard tractor.

Last edited:
Maybe. I always did that exact thing on older Briggs powered Murray riders with no issues. I tried on a Kohler powered John Deere and it could not get enough fuel to run in certain conditions. Both of those were gravity fed fuel systems, the Cub Cadet I have currently has a fuel pump and is not picky about fuel filters at all.

Assuming all are the same 1/4" nipple, yes, but do you need two questionable quality filters and the hose, or just get the one they referenced in the listing which is B&S 691035?

That B&S is what I have on my 19HP Intek mower engine. It has more pleats, and based on the picture of the one you linked, looks like better quality too, before even considering the tubing which if made from chinesium rubber, may have a shorter life ahead of it than your existing fuel line. I'd sooner get some fuel line from an auto parts store by the foot before using generic chinese line.

https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Replaces-Briggs-Stratton-691035/dp/B0032LY2G2

You might be able to get this at same or lower cost from a local parts dealer. It's a very common filter.

Last edited:
Just to add to the above, you can go as big as will fit and and fine filtering as the fuel system will tolerate. Like said, some gravity feed systems and vac/pulse driven fuel pumps can't pass fuel through too restrictive of a filter. I've run into that with Kohler Command V-twins with teh vac/pulse pump.

Also Dorman 55240...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/fuel+&+air,fuel+filter,fuel+filter,6200

The plastic filters tend to dissolve/ melt...

The screen is plenty good, the debris will settle in the bottom of the float bowl. This you should remove and drain float bowl every so often so water does not accumulate if you are using pure gas. With ethanol it does not matter.

If you could mount an old style glass bowl sediment filter that would be best. Stens 120-030 or equivalent these are the best you can get.
\
\\\

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Also Dorman 55240...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/fuel+&+air,fuel+filter,fuel+filter,6200

The plastic filters tend to dissolve/ melt...

?? Mine came originally with the B&S all plastic filter I linked, and lasted 20 years with E10 fuel before I replaced it just for the sake of doing so (still wasn't clogged enough to interfere with engine operation).

No melting or dissolving at all, though I can't speak for whatever mystery chinesium plastic that a generic brand might use.

Just wait though... eventually, the greenies will mandate that all plastics be formulations that turn to dust within 10 years... to save the planet... by adding to landfills at record paces due to product failures then more mining and oil to manufacture new products to replace them.

Last edited:
i dont know if its true or not, i was just reading but i heard that paper media filters are not good in gravity fed applications ? as it could starve the mower? and the disc types are recommended

Last edited:
Yeah, the little plastic filter on my garden tractor is 20 years old and the one on my ancient Toro push mower is much older than that. No melting here in Southeastern Wisconsin where we haven't been able to buy non-RFG since 1995.

Carburetors aren't as picky on cleanliness as fuel injection. Small particles that get past the filter will likely pass through the jets. Plus, the mesh screen filter can be cleaned with a reverse wash.

If you want to replace it with a paper media, go ahead, I see no harm, but it may be overkill.

When I was a young Pup , I drove a car with a fuel filter that screwed directly into the carburetor . The other end of the filter had a bib , which a short section of rubber fuel hose attached to .

Said filter stopped up , on the highway , one day . Hitched a ride into town , purchased a new filter , got a ride to the car & replaced the filter .

When I got home , I purchased an inline filter , clamps and a short section of hose . Installed this filter , ahead of the one screwed into the carb . Figured , it the inline filter ever stopped up , I could take it out of the system and proceed with the original filter , in an emergency .

The in line filter never stopped up .

The car had the old style mechanical pump mounted on the engine .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
When I was a young Pup , I drove a car with a fuel filter that screwed directly into the carburetor . The other end of the filter had a bib , which a short section of rubber fuel hose attached to .

Said filter stopped up , on the highway , one day . Hitched a ride into town , purchased a new filter , got a ride to the car & replaced the filter .

When I got home , I purchased an inline filter , clamps and a short section of hose . Installed this filter , ahead of the one screwed into the carb . Figured , it the inline filter ever stopped up , I could take it out of the system and proceed with the original filter , in an emergency .

The in line filter never stopped up .

The car had the old style mechanical pump mounted on the engine .

Used to do the exact same thing for my 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix and 1980 Chevy Monza with the Rochester carbs.

L8R,
Matt

I went to Home Depot and picked a B&S filter for for my Briggs with a fuel pump. Just pick the correct B&S filter for your engine and don't overthink this. Ed

Last edited:
Yeah, don't overthink it. I use the red disc B&S filters for my rider and no filter for my push mowers. I think the white ones have a finer mesh than the red ones (I use red) but as far as I know you can use both on a gravity fed carb system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back