Castrol edge 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor gave me a 5 quart container of this oil. I have a 2018 Subaru Forester, 1999 saab 93, 2006 scion XA, and a 92 Nissan Pathfinder. Can I use this oil in any of these vehicles? I'm located in Southern California

I would only use it in the saab or the pathfinder.

The other engine are viscosity sensitive due to the VVT cam phasers and light reciprocating components AND oil cooling requirement.

My Subaru FB engine didn't really like a thick 5W 20 grade in it during the summer

This is tried and tested, not sitting around a keyboard just guessing

I ran a 0w-40 in my FB25 Forster and it didn't seem to be too happy once the temperature cooled down. Had some weird stuttering and part throttle cruise misfires until the temperature was all the way up

In your location it will be fine in any but the pathfinder would be the one I use it in. The old Saab iron ecotec really like higher viscosity oils and a higher level of zinc if you want the cam chain to live a longer life.
I run Delo LE 5w40 or Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck in these and Mobil 1 5w30 ESP or Castrol 0w40 in the later aluminum block engines.

Originally Posted by VQLT
My neighbor gave me a 5 quart container of this oil. I have a 2018 Subaru Forester, 1999 saab 93, 2006 scion XA, and a 92 Nissan Pathfinder. Can I use this oil in any of these vehicles? I'm located in Southern California

Is the Forester still under warranty? If so, I'd probably use whatever the OM calls for in that one. Not because I think Edge 0W-40 will cause any issue, but to avoid any potential warranty claim hassles.

Use it on your SAAB, it's the same oil I used on my 9-5
smile.gif

Your 08 is a later aluminum block engine with a later version of the cam chain tensioner to say nothing about the difference in location.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

The other engine are viscosity sensitive due to the VVT cam phasers and light reciprocating components AND oil cooling requirement.

My Subaru FB engine didn't really like a thick 5W 20 grade in it during the summer

In the summer time, there is no way a 5w-20 would behave differently than a 0w-20.

I'm using it in both my 3.6 Pentastar v6's. I cannot tell a difference between it and 0w20 or 5w20 other than it is slightly quieter. I'd use it and not think twice.

Originally Posted by jbutch

In the summer time, there is no way a 5w-20 would behave differently than a 0w-20.

Here we go with blanket statement again with no data or experience.

I just TOLD you it did.

I drove the car, ride in the car on trips an I noticed the difference. It was easily drivable, but didn't rev as eagerly, a little bit sluggish - but quieter running when hot.

Are you aware that Japanese 0W20 are directed at fuel conservation and high efficiency? Moreseo than 5W?

They tend to be formulated closer to the BOTTOM of the 20 grade range. whereas 5W20 are near the TOP of the 20 grade range.

Suabru idemitsu KV40 is ~ 37 cSt
KV100 is ~7.8

Here is (plain vanilla) Mobil 1 5W20
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 8.9
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 49.8
Viscosity Index 160

Recall that this engine oil temp runs well below boiling; Around 77C

Last edited:

I apologize, I was too harsh in my reply above.

I had just finished a double tea an got a bit irritated.
08.gif
+
34.gif

I'm not sure when 0w40 was first introduced but in my research and reviewing my owners manuals, not one of my cars recommends 0w40. Saab recommends 10w30 or 40, Nissan 5w30 or 10w30, scion 5w30, forester 0w20. I think I will pass along the Castrol 0w40 to someone that can use it.
thanks for all the replies

Originally Posted by VQLT
I'm not sure when 0w40 was first introduced but in my research and reviewing my owners manuals, not one of my cars recommends 0w40. Saab recommends 10w30 or 40, Nissan 5w30 or 10w30, scion 5w30, forester 0w20. I think I will pass along the Castrol 0w40 to someone that can use it.
thanks for all the replies

If the owner's manual recommends 10W-40 it recommends 0W-40. That 0W-40 carries a whole lot more certifications and approvals than any 10W-40 on the market.

Here we go with blanket statement again with no data or experience.

I just TOLD you it did.

I drove the car, ride in the car on trips an I noticed the difference. It was easily drivable, but didn't rev as eagerly, a little bit sluggish - but quieter running when hot.

Are you aware that Japanese 0W20 are directed at fuel conservation and high efficiency? Moreseo than 5W?

They tend to be formulated closer to the BOTTOM of the 20 grade range. whereas 5W20 are near the TOP of the 20 grade range.

Suabru idemitsu KV40 is ~ 37 cSt
KV100 is ~7.8

Here is (plain vanilla) Mobil 1 5W20
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 8.9
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 49.8
Viscosity Index 160

Recall that this engine oil temp runs well below boiling; Around 77C

I do have a FA20F engine that is similar to the FB series and I have tried many engine oils KV ranging from 9.8 cst @100c to 12.1 cst @ 100c and the engine is running better imo with the thicker oil and also had better UOAs.

I checked a few 0w-20 (RGT, PP, QSUD) and they were all 8.3 cst @ 100c and up. Their 5w-20 version has the same or very close cst @ 100c.

Maybe your engine didn't like the additives in the 5w-20 you tried?

My FA20F runs at 90C to 100C and I have a friend that has a FB20 and it runs even hotter at over 100C on the highway.

I apologize, I was too harsh in my reply above.

I had just finished a double tea an got a bit irritated.
08.gif
+
34.gif

No worries, it happens to the best of us.

I should have added that I do have some experience with a similar engine and that I did try a few oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back