Thoughts on 2015+ Kia Sedona?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I are still doing research on minivans to replace our '04 Honda Odyssey. There's a few models we're considering: '15-19 Dodge GC & Chrysler T&C, Sienna and the Kia Sedona. Of the bunch, we feel the Kia has the best looks (by far), nicest interior, most comprehensive set of features and best value for the money. The model we're most interested in is the '15-16 Sedona SXL, ideally we want to find something with 40-60k miles.

Anyone know how these fare reliability-wise? Any issues with the 3.3L GDI engine or the 6-speed transmission? Any common issues that plague these? We typically drive our vehicles to 200k or so, so long term reliability is a concern, as is parts cost and availability, which I suspect aren't great for Korean makes.

I notice these vans have a lot of depreciation, each model year older nets huge savings, of course this is a double edge sword when it comes time to sell. But generally we hold on to our vehicles until they have little to no value anyways, so this is probably a moot point.

Any experiences, info, etc. on these Sedonas, or even just Hyundai / Kia quality in those years would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Brybo86
I'm curious why no Odyssey since you took your 2004 to 200k ?

Both of us find the exterior styling of the 2011+ Odyssey to be awful. I don't put styling at the top of the list when it comes to things I want in a vehicle, but it really is THAT bad. I don't know what they're trying to do with the raked roofline that steps down in the back, but it makes the van look like a hearse.

The 2015+ Sedona's are very reliable.
Even the 2011+ 2nd gen updated models were pretty good.

The 2019+ got the newer 8-speed auto trans. So a little better gas mileage and performance.

Sedona is probably the best bang for the buck if looking for a minivan. SUVs are taking over so seems many have not updated them much. But Kia keeps theirs updated pretty good without going to over board.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Seems like a good choice but remember that 2nd owners only get 50K miles on the Kia powertrain warranty.

Unless they recently changed it's 60k.Given depreciation the extra 40k of power train warranty isn't worth it.

Our 2012 has been great and we've had it for 90k miles, purchased at 15k. All indicators I have seen are the next generation are even better. If you trade every couple years just because, a KIA may not be the best option. If you keep your vehicles, they are a great value and money well spent. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back