EBC Brakes

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by blupupher
I had some EBC green pads on my '02 F150 that cracked and fell apart in < 10,000 miles on me. Not very pleased at all.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They look like they got in contact with brake fluid and then overheated.

Those are an older model, too, because I'm pretty sure the new ones all have the little spikes on the backplate now.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by hatt
I just ordered EBC rotors and pads for the 2010 Camry. Did I waste money? It looks like the choices were China rotors or EBC for not too much more.

EBC is quality stuff made in the UK.

They're more of a performance oriented brand, but their Ultimaxes are the OE equivalent line.

You should be fine. EBC isn't too well known outside of racing circles in the US because they're a smaller, foreign company, but they make good stuff. Their rotors are top quality coated and the pads should be at least as good as stock.

You made a good decision, don't worry about it.

I agree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The red stuff brake pads are on my mind as a possible for my car...

And like spasm said the green stuff are very good too.

EBC pads might be made in the UK, but the rotors are China...like most others. They're not bad, but don't believe that you're getting some sort of special rotors.

i like + use EBC brake products on my bikes + lately my 2011 frontier, smooth higher carbon rotors + yellow pads work better than the worn but not worn out OE's worth the little xtra $$$ IMO + shopping around + contacting the seller got me a better price on a better product

I have EBC yellow stuff with slotted and dimpled rotors on my Ram. Excellent braking. I ordered a full setup for the Infiniti from Summit and every last part was wrong. Talked to the customer service guy and said "This stuff isn't even close to fitting." Customer service guy says "Not even close?" Highbrow says "Naw man, not even close."

Shrugs. Sent the stuff back, but now I don't think I see a reason to try them again.

Originally Posted by hatt
Did you contact them?

Nope, I bought them second hand (but new) along with new slotted rotors.
Got them off craigslist from a guy that had bought them for his F150 and the truck was totaled before he installed them.
I had no receipts.
I still have the rotors on it and am using some used unknown pads I pulled off a scrap rear end I had (with 20,000 miles and no issues).

Originally Posted by Propflux01
They look like they got in contact with brake fluid and then overheated.

Never got any fluid on them, only used for regular driving of a 1/2 ton truck, no towing or major hauling.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Those are an older model, too, because I'm pretty sure the new ones all have the little spikes on the backplate now.

These were installed in 2015, not sure when they were made though.

EBC had some quality control issues for a couple years with the friction material coming off the backing plate but that was supposedly solved years ago. I still won't buy them again though, it's scary seeing cars go off track from brake failure.

The EBC Ultimax "Blackstuff" pads are good stuff. They worked great for the 20-25k miles I had them on for (I no longer have that car)

I have not used their rotors

+1 for the Akebono Street Performance pads, great bite hot or cold and they hold up a real long time for GG rated pads.

Personally I like Brembo, Akebono, or PowerStop for our daily drivers.

The EBC pads listed as "track" are not good on daily drivers, they usually make a lot of noise, dust and wear the discs: https://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads/
On EBC, Green is OK, Yellow is highest I would go for my car.

Greenstuff 2000
[Linked Image from ebcbrakes.com]

Greenstuff 6000

Greenstuff 7000

Yellowstuff

Last edited:
I have EBC 3GD dimpled/slotted rotors and Ultimax2 pads on my GMC Envoy and Ford Explorer. I don't know where the rotors were made, although there is a date stamped onto the rotors in U.S. format (mm-dd-yyyy). They could be sourced from China with final machining in Las Vegas, but they are quality rotors that were definitely heavier than the ones that were on both trucks. Braking improved considerably on both trucks, especially initial bite. You don't need to depress the brake pedal down much to feel the brakes grab right away.

On the Mitsubishi Pajero, I am running their Yellow Stuff pads on stock OE rotors, which also made a significant improvement in braking. The initial bite isn't so noticeable like it is on the other two trucks with dimpled/slotted rotors, but a definite improvement over OE pads.

We have been using EBC yellowstuff for quite some time on our race car. Nothing to complain about other than not lasting a very long time at the track. It had good brakes from cold, and just starts to fade when they are really worn. Orangestuff would be an upgrade, but haven't found the need for it. It is a light car tho. Not much disc wear either, have som Pagid track ones on the Viper, and those are not freindly on the discs at all, but lasts longer. The price is way up compared to the EBCs. Green stuff I would not put on a car that gets really hot brakes

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I think EBCs are better than white box, but they are no Zimmermans IIRC.

Pads? I've read so many threads that I don't even know any- AKEBONO ProACT! ONE OF US, ONE OF US!

Can you even get Zimmerman rotors / brake pads for a Camry?

Hatt,

Last summer my analysis paralysis resulted in a spread sheet comparing 4 front brake options (OEM, Raybestos EHT, Akebono, EBC) for my Patriot. I'm satisfied with the EBC Stage One rotors/pads I installed last September. It's too early to judge longevity and rotor resistance to salt. My OEM Akebono pads (different than Akebono aftermarket) were excellent, but over 3x the cost of aftermarkets. I was concerned about the Ultimax II GG rating vs. OEM FF. Since the Ultimax are supposedly designed to replace OEM, the different friction coefficient seems not to matter. I tested the brakes aggressively on dry, wet, and snow packed conditions (ABS) with no control problems. The EBCs perform very similar to the excellent OEMs.

The made in China rotor debate goes on. While the pad box shows country of origin, the rotor box does not. Their marketing states something like 85% +/- of their rotors are made in-house. I would like to see confirmation, though I am very satisfied with mine and it might not matter to me if their stated quality control is adhered to.

Here's my install thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...t-time-rotor-dial-guage-user#Post5213185

everything I've read (granted, on the net, and sites like this, so here's your grain of salt) leads me to believe their rotors are most likely Cast in China(B/c Almost all of them are anymore), then machined in house at their US Facility (Vegas)

Originally Posted by earlyre
everything I've read (granted, on the net, and sites like this, so here's your grain of salt) leads me to believe their rotors are most likely Cast in China(B/c Almost all of them are anymore), then machined in house at their US Facility (Vegas)

At least as of a few years ago, most of their rotors were actually still made in the UK. I know the EBC rotors on my bike were cast and machined in the UK for certain.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Hatt,

Last summer my analysis paralysis resulted in a spread sheet comparing 4 front brake options (OEM, Raybestos EHT, Akebono, EBC) for my Patriot. I'm satisfied with the EBC Stage One rotors/pads I installed last September. It's too early to judge longevity and rotor resistance to salt. My OEM Akebono pads (different than Akebono aftermarket) were excellent, but over 3x the cost of aftermarkets. I was concerned about the Ultimax II GG rating vs. OEM FF. Since the Ultimax are supposedly designed to replace OEM, the different friction coefficient seems not to matter. I tested the brakes aggressively on dry, wet, and snow packed conditions (ABS) with no control problems. The EBCs perform very similar to the excellent OEMs.

The made in China rotor debate goes on. While the pad box shows country of origin, the rotor box does not. Their marketing states something like 85% +/- of their rotors are made in-house. I would like to see confirmation, though I am very satisfied with mine and it might not matter to me if their stated quality control is adhered to.

Here's my install thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...t-time-rotor-dial-guage-user#Post5213185

Thanks for linking to a thread that requires me to buy more tools. It's only money I guess.

Back