QS Conv vs. QS HM vs. PYB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to keep the thread on track with only these three oils:

-Quaker State Conventional
-Quaker State High Mileage
-Pennzoil Yellow Bottle

Walmarts in my area seem to aggressivly discount both of the quaker state conventional and high mileage formula's. Not so much for PYB or other brands. It makes sense to buy them over the $.50 cent difference of supertech. But is there really that much difference in formulations? A long time ago I read the QS conv and PYB were nearly identical formulas minus a tiny little tweak in the additives to differentiate the product. That was back in 2010 that I read that, so times have probably changed.

Which ever marketing claims fool you the best. Same ratings oil is pretty much oil.

Forget those options get the super tech. Will do the job just as good and be cheaper. In fact skip super tech and get chevron supreme which is about a $1 cheaper than super tech conventional in a 5qt. If you are looking to get cheap oil then you cant beat chevron supreme for $12 for a 5qt.

Last edited:
PYB has a really good rep for cleaning, but I think I would use the cheapest one, there's not going to be much difference. Or cough up the extra buck or 2 for QSUD.

using institute data

At the start of GF-5

QSGB had high boron

PYB had high moly

al the other metrics were about the same.

mix em both and you will have the magic elixir

of moderately high moly and boron!

But the forms are diff now.

lemme look.

Quaker State Advanced Durability- Syn Blend $15/gallon

Quaker State Ultimate Durability- Full Synthetic $18/gallon

My vote is to spend the $3 and get the full flavor.

If you use 5w20, Quaker state advanced durability is $45.28 for 6-5 quart at Walmart.com and meets a few specs.

A21942C2-621B-4871-A754-1D5FFACB41B3.jpeg

Originally Posted by yaris0128
Forget those options get the super tech. Will do the job just as good and be cheaper. In fact skip super tech and get chevron supreme which is about a $1 cheaper than super tech conventional in a 5qt. If you are looking to get cheap oil then you cant beat chevron supreme for $12 for a 5qt.

Chevron is a terrible deal now: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-Supreme-Motor-Oil-5W30/46683812

Yeah, it hasn't been $12 for a while now. It's a shame because it's got a great add pk and the 5w20 and 5w30 are blends at that price point. But I think the Havoline SB in the 6qt box works out to be just abt the same price/per qt. Aside from the extra seal conditioners I'd bet it's a very similar/same oil.

Of the 3, I'd choose QSHM syn blend but there's not a "bad" one in the lot.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

I 2nd that vote !!ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by kstanf150

I 2nd that vote !!ðŸ‘

I 3rd that vote! Get the full meal deal!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

I 2nd that vote !!ðŸ‘

Or, skip the meal deal and afford the better oil!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

I 2nd that vote !!ðŸ‘

Or, skip the meal deal and afford the better oil!
smile.gif

QSUD is the best deal in town !!ðŸ‘
If your spending more money for oil than QSUD
Your wasting good money !!

Last edited:
I'm a longtime Mobil 1 user since 1987 but I been using the QSUD full syn in my RAM the last 2 oil changes because I just can't beat the price savings over the Mobil 1 and it's a good oil.

Originally Posted by Villalobos
If you use 5w20, Quaker state advanced durability is $45.28 for 6-5 quart at Walmart.com and meets a few specs.
At my local walmart its still $12.XX but Ive noticed the price online spiked out of nowhere. On another note, the 6qt box of Chevron at walmart is still $15 soooooo get that instead.

I look at those three conventional oils and then think why buy any of them when there is Super Tech Synthetic oil for close to the same price ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I look at those three conventional oils and then think why buy any of them when there is Super Tech Synthetic oil for close to the same price ?

My thoughts exactly. You can't go wrong with ST Syn and it meets DEXOS standards too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back