At least they show you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize there's lots of hate for Fram. But this video they did years ago really shows there's some decent testing going on. And I wish the other companies would put this much effort into showing customers what they do. I appreciate they made it. It's also strange there have been so few likes or dislikes. I wonder how many people who seem to have a strong opinion about Fram have even seen this type of testing being done.

https://youtu.be/1jy5Rtc7Fbc

Originally Posted by LotI
There's lots of love for Fram on this site, what hate?

There's love for the Ultra's, but the Extra Guard and the Tough Guard tend to get a lot of hate for the fiber end caps.

People operate on lots of misconception these days. It's especially prevelant on YouTube.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
There's love for the Ultra's, but the Extra Guard and the Tough Guard tend to get a lot of hate for the fiber end caps.
I believe they are referred to as "cardboard" end caps.

I would say BITOG is 40% Fram 40% OEM filter 10% RA closeout filter 10% Oil change special-type promotions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington

I would say BITOG is 40% Fram 40% OEM filter 10% RA closeout filter 10% Oil change special-type promotions.

Your percents add to 100%. Always give 110%.

Originally Posted by LotI
There's lots of love for Fram on this site.....
Generally speaking, that would be my observation this subforum too. Also my observation, topic yt posted many times here since first made. As for what some may or may not do on youtube or elsewhere, owing to a free country, opinions may vary. Since topic yt made, Fram has a new owner and presenter no longer employed by the company. As for the video, does a good job promoting and explaining thier testing procedures.

There are a lot of misconceptions about their filters. The extra guard is a good filter for the price. Many see the fiber end caps as inferior, but I've also cut open a Motorcraft where the glued on metal end cap fell apart from the media completely.

I think for the price they are better than say a Supertech or some of the store brand filters, but everything is built to a price point. Don't stick a $3 filter on something you run for 30,000 miles and expect it to perform flawlessly.

That is a good video from some time go. Motorcraft has a similar one. There isn't "hate" towards Fram here. There is pointing out found defects from time to time. It gets biased when fact reporting can't happen, or it is called "hate." Same goes for MC. Testing is great but the production line consistency is another thing on all USA brands IMO. Don't see any Toyota Denso defects yet, and a few others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4at4X8TZOlw

I think when I say hate its in the context mostly of the "fiber" end caps. And maybe now that I think about it a bit its not so much on this site as its everywhere else. The fiber end caps actually make allot of sense to me. Not only do they keep the cost down but they should allow for good adhesion of the media to the caps. I just think its so funny how reviewers talk about the Extraguard as being the worst filter in the world. They publish good specs 95% at 20 microns they give you a silicone ADBV now and the grip is nice compared with standard painted cans. All for like $4. Anyway I guess I would like to see the bypass setup more like the motorcraft but you cant have everything and someone on here noted that bypass is not that common at all if I remember correctly.

I have no issues with Fram. To have concerns about running a Fram oil filter is like worrying about Pennzoil sludging up your engine.

Many years ago in the early 90's I think, Fram closed the Nevada Missouri plant moved out of the country, and started using the paper end caps. There were, repeat were, problems that are currently resolved. There was even a TSB from Chrysler advising not to use Fram as they could shed adhesive and block oil passages. I had one with a defective seam that leaked out a quart in 500 miles making a horrible mess. They became known as the "Orange Can of Death" Since then they have cleaned up their act and Now make great quality filters, the Ultra is among the best.

The thing is, every publicly traded American Company is only one greedy CEO and or BOD or an acquisition away from being destroyed. So you have to watch for changes. I trust no company.

Oh and Pennzoil (and many other brands) 10W40 was infamous at one time in the 80's for sticking rings on pistons. They too cleaned up their act. This is from the warranty void if using 10w40 days in the late 70's and 80's

I use Fram currently. And if the price is good I will use Pennzoil also. They are great products. And I have been taught to have VERY limited brand loyalty.

Rod

Last edited:
The first hard hit to Fram was NAFTA. The 2nd was the acquisition by Honeywell. Off went the production out of the country. It wasn't until Rank group in 2011 that Fram actually got seen as more than just a cheap buck.

I am not a fan of wavy pleats and both Fram EG and Fram TG media cannot stand up straight. I've since moved to Mobil-1 EPs and use them for two OCIs (8-10k).

…. It wasn't until Rank group in 2011 that Fram actually got seen as more than just a cheap buck.
And yet if reports believed as early as 2014 Hart and Rank Group was looking to unload the Fram acquisition. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ucifram-sale-exclusive-idUSKBN0F12SJ20140626 They did manage to hold on to Fram until last year.

Not the case with UCI/Champion Labs though. Shortly after they filed for bankruptcy protection 2016, Rank Group quickly divested from UCI/Champ Labs. By the end of the year, new owners. https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...al-Restructuring-Process-Emerges-Chapter

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Heh. I remember when it was like 60% Purolator 30% OEM 10% Fram and others.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
People operate on lots of misconception these days. It's especially prevelant on YouTube.

Yeah, and here too. Esp. those wanting their 5 minutes of fame by tearing the FL-820's filter media.
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back