Help me make a decision on engine coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
I previously noted that in first post, ie., 'since first posted in link SAE has gone to subscription site system. Once again information accurate as posted, changes nothing. But, thanks for the tip.
smile.gif

Nothing personal but if anyone can bring the said SAE article into the open, let's have a read. Until then it is a regurgitation of fake news. By the way. SAE Vehicle Engineering is a fake publication.

Last edited:
^^^^
lol.gif
Not personal? Fake News? Now that is comical. Thanks for the laugh. The article is same as posted in 2013, if you want a full read, subscription is available free for 30 day trail as link says. But reading is fundamental.
smile.gif

"SAE Vehicle Engineering is a fake publication." Now that could be some "Fake News"

Last edited:
The main magazine for the SAE is Automotive Engineering. There are some others that specialize in topics such as Autonomous Vehicle, Mobility Engineering, Truck and Off Highway, Aerospace and Defence, but SAE Vehicle Engineering is not one of them.

By the way. No one should confuse a SAE technical paper with a SAE magazine article. The articles are just picked up from any source. You don't have to be an engineer to get into a SAE mag. For the technical papers you generally need some qualifications and educational backing.

Though many who have been on this subforum for many years well familiar with the referenced Motor Magazine articles by Mr. Weissler, linked are the two articles referenced in this thread. The first the more recent 2010 article, the latter his earlier 2004 article. As they've been posted by many members here over the years, not new for most. But for those unfamiliar, decent reads on AF types and 2eha.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/cooling-system-service

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summ...easy-being-green-or-yellow-or-orange-or/

Originally Posted by Slick17601
OEM, OEM and OEM

I agree. Using OEM is a 100% sure bet.
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, neither of these documents have anything to do with the SAE. One article is 10 years old and the other is 16 years old. Mr. Weissler gathered up different opinions from different sources and tried to organize them. Kudos for that. However, since the article, Ford has changed coolants again, and the chemists at Prestone have released a product that is good for all makes, including Asian and European, insists it will not void your warranty and they also offer their own warranty. So be it, but it would be good if Bitoggers don't recite fake SAE documents.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Again sticking to factually accurate information same as the accuracy linked SAEInternational/SAE Mobilus article in 2013, Ford has actually released two new AF since the highly quoted MM articles. One DexCool orange and one known as DY, both use 2eha. Neither of which has been back spec'd by Ford for it's no 2eha G-05 or Convention AFs.

Be that as it may, all the long time members posting the SAE link and Motor Magazine articles over the years apparently broke no forum posting rules. As always, reading is optional.

Again sticking to factually accurate information same as the accuracy linked SAEInternational/SAE Mobilus article in 2013, Ford has actually released two new AF since the highly quoted MM articles. One DexCool orange and one known as DY, both use 2eha. Neither of which has been back spec'd by Ford for it's no 2eha G-05 or Convention AFs.

Be that as it may, all the long time members posting the SAE link and Motor Magazine articles over the years apparently broke no forum posting rules. As always, reading is optional.

Good to know. Maby I shouldn't use 2eha in my ford.

This conversation has really kicked off now.
I am starting to understand the angles that everyone is looking at this from and that will help me make an informed decision.
Thank youall for the information, opinions and experiences. This is what makes forums great.

All good but once again you are quoting SAE International/SAE Mobilus. You might get into trouble posting that. That 2013 story does not show up in the SAE, but prove me wrong.
smile.gif

I'm not concerned about the link in the slightest. It directly links to bitog posts that have been quoted many times and simply switched to a subscription service as noted numorous times. Follow up information exactly as can be seen if subscription taken on current updated linked site. And members who have been here since 2013 know they one and the same. Even the follow comment " in the 2013 post link" by a member says. "Great link! Thank you. I love Paul Weissler's coolant articles". Link Title, "Chrysler switches to OAT antifreeze for longer service interval." Again slowwwly, same as https://www.scribd.com/document/375...T-Antifreeze-for-Longer-Service-Interval

So get into trouble, for linking to a previous bitog post? I'm sweating. I've never read that forum policy, you need to post it up. Weissler's published AF articles really have touched a nerve with you.
smile.gif

All carboxylic acids are plasticizers, not just 2-EHA.
I have a hard time believing that a formulator for antifreeze cannot do anything to modulate, counteract, or account for this interaction.

That is my belief also.
It just doesn't seem to be a problem.

Originally Posted by Brian553
I have a hard time believing that a formulator for antifreeze cannot do anything to modulate, counteract, or account for this interaction.

Originally Posted by Brian553

2-Eha is a far more aggressive plasticizer however than other Carboxylic acids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back