Quiet riding tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I had the recommendation from Tire Rack to go for either the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II and the Continentals PureContact LS in a 205/60/16 tire.

They favor the Continentals more between the two.

I did had Altimax RT43 before on my 2011 chevy cruze in a similar size.

Any other tire models I should look into?

Thanks!

Any reason you won't go with the rt43? I came back to them after giving Michelin a shot on my sienna.

Last edited:
I am using the Conti TrueContacts on mine. Very Quiet tire.The Pirelli is a great tire also, except gets loud and very squirrely in rain when it gets worn down a bit.The RT43 is also a great tire, but is slightly louder.

Originally Posted by Mangos86
Any reason you won't go with the rt43? I came back to them after giving Michelin a [censored] on my sienna.

they dont seem be top rated anymore according to Tire Rack

You are the best rater of a tire you already own. the grass is not always greener. Id say the RT43 is as good as any tire out there.

Just put another set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II on another car 2 weeks ago, like the other 3 sets they are perfect. Very quiet tire, good in snow and rain as well as good summer performance.
4 cars running them from the little Beetle to the larger Infiniti M with no complaints whatsoever, I keep buying them, that says it all.

Originally Posted by wolf_06
Today I had the recommendation from Tire Rack to go for either the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II and the Continentals PureContact LS in a 205/60/16 tire.

They favor the Continentals more between the two.

I did had Altimax RT43 before on my 2011 chevy cruze in a similar size.

Any other tire models I should look into?

Thanks!

Wolf,
Did you NOT find the RT43 quiet?
Or are you looking for an even quieter tire?

Last edited:
Those look like good choices. I've use tirerack ratings by category to find the right mix of high points as well.

I wanted a quiet ride without giving up too much siping or cross-check pattern for some winter season ability. I've had these on my older SUV and like them enough to repeat the purchase on our CX-9. The longitudinal lines help for the quiet and the tread blocks still have the bite.

[Linked Image from tirerack.com]

Best tire is the Michelin CrossClimate+ in a 205/60/16 tire. Also excellent are Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Vredstein Quatrac 5 and Continental PureContact LS. All of them are rated excellent while the Cinturato P7 and Genral RT43 are rated good. The Vredstein Quatrac 5 is both cheaper and better overall than the PureContact LS and P7.

The General Altimax RT43 is barely in the top 10, at #10. Those I mentioned are quieter than RT43 and better overall. Rated just on comfort/noise the P7 moves into the top 5, and the RT43 drops to #11. Quatrac 5 costs 11% more than RT43 in your size.

Originally Posted by Trav
The Vredstein Quatrac 5 is a good tire but has a poor wear rating, I seriously considered them but that was a deal killer.

Not to argue however, Tire Rack's test doesn't particularly consider the Quatrac 5 a quiet tire. But, the Customer Rating/Review may show it to be quiet, IDK!

I believe TR even mentioned that the Quatrac 5 was one of the louder tires in its particular test. I guess this doesn't mean it's a loud tire, just more noticable I suppose?

TR site is down right now so I can't double check yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
Have had the P7s on my son's Mazda 3 for 4 - 5 seasons.

Works really well. Recommend it.

We did too...on an 06 Mazda 3i w/205-55-16 and they were very good. They were also quiet but, these tires were on a(lack of sound deadening insulation) not so quiet car and often it was hard to tell.

The Vredstein Quatrac 5 is a good tire but has a poor wear rating, I seriously considered them but that was a deal killer.

Continental PureContact LS was rated 90,000 miles in Consumer Reports test and they rated it outstanding.

In order of quiet riding:

Bridgestone Serenity Plus
Continental Contact Pro
Michelin Defender

And further down the list:
General Altimax R43

Originally Posted by Char Baby

Not to argue however, Tire Rack's test doesn't particularly consider the Quatrac 5 a quiet tire. But, the Customer Rating/Review may show it to be quiet, IDK!

The Quatrac 5 rates an 8.7 for noise on Tire Rack which is better than the RT43's 8.4 rating. PureConact LS is also an 8.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back