94 B4000 overheat Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as some of you know this is the third post over this but after installing a new water pump the truck began overheating. It was finally a nice enough day to get the water pump off again and holy crap. The entire impeller was rusted over and spun freely. Complete failure upon installation. Buyer beware for diamond power water pumps. I have a new one to put in tomorrow and will give hopefully final update along with some pictures of that busted water pump.

I threw in a 50/50 mix initially then once it started overheating i had done multiple flushes with distilled water but at the time nothing has been in the cooling system for about a week. The life of this pump on the truck has been about 4 weeks i believe. The back of the pump also has nothing to really lock the impeller into the shaft which may have rusted out or just never been there to begin with.

4 weeks? That's amazing, it usually takes years for a steel impeller to go, and then it seems to be cavitation related most of the time. Now I wonder what a marine 350 Mercruiser SB Chevy uses...

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
4 weeks? That's amazing, it usually takes years for a steel impeller to go, and then it seems to be cavitation related most of the time. Now I wonder what a marine 350 Mercruiser SB Chevy uses...

It honestly looks worse than the one that came off of it that is at the very least a couple years old. I think it was just bum from the factory.

Unless it's the cheapest "over sea" metal made.

Originally Posted by oldhp

Unless it's the cheapest "over sea" metal made.

Even those last years in bad coolant

diamond power water pumps everybody it is ridiculous. Hopefully the one I put on actually works.

Marine water pump- the impeller, shaft and backing plate are generally stainless steel, but the casting is the same as the auto-truck engines. If you run raw water cooled engines, they last about 10+ years in normal use. With a closed cooling system it should average about the same as a car or truck.

Originally Posted by joegreen
Just get an OEM motorcraft. They are not that expensive

Actually, it's $80! Though Rock Auto lists a Gates for thirty bucks, a Delco for forty, and a Beck-Arnley for sixty.

I learned a long time ago. It's not $80.......it's $40 more than the junk I was looking at to save money. I don't buy cheap any more, my time is worth something if I have to do it twice.

As spring dawns on south central Kansas I was able to get the new water pump in and the fiasco finally comes to an end. I got some pictures of you the bad water pump that I previously installed. The impeller pulled straight off the shaft.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back