Step Shift Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading a thread and it talked about a "Step Shift Transmission."

What exactly is that? In 6th Grader terms.

Basically an automatic where you have the option of selecting gears. Think of driving a normal 6-speed automatic torque converter car, and you get to slide the stick over from P-R-N-D and hit the + or - to make the car shift gears.

Wow! Thank you. I got that option in several cars I drive. Like those little thumb paddles on the steering wheel. Or where I can move the console shifter over and pretend I am driving an automatic.

I never use it, obviously.

Thanks!

Or Shiftonic, or manumatic, or whatever different brands call it. Pew summed it up best. Operates like a traditional automatic, but allows you to shift gears manually as well.

Originally Posted by Gebo

Not a manual transmission, CVT, or an automated Manual.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by Gebo

Not a manual transmission, CVT, or an automated Manual.

actually it can be a cvt or automated manual.

there are certain truths that are understood when it comes to Continuously Variable Transmissions. They are extremely fuel efficient and they're great for climbing hills, but they feel unresponsive and they sound rather unpleasant. Nissan is looking to appease those who want CVT efficiency without the shiftless feeling by introducing D-Step Shift Logic to the 2015 Versa, Versa Note, Sentra, Altima V6, Pathfinder, and Quest.

D-Step Shift Logic is a software update that will give drivers the feeling that their vehicle is shifting gears like a regular automatic transmission. Once the vehicle reaches 4,000 RPMs, the software will manipulate the Xtronic CVT to fabricate a drop in driving force and follow it up with a jump ahead, creating a sensation similar to that of shifting gears.

Subaru CVT also will do fake gears.(at least on some models such as outback)
Lineartronic® CVT Transmission

In Automatic Mode, the Lineartronic® CVT adjusts instantly to match your acceleration, eliminating the need to shift and preserving the vehicle's momentum — often lost with conventional automatic transmissions. In 6-Speed Manual Mode, paddle shifters are mounted for fingertip control, giving you the power to select the gear ratio that best suits your driving situation. The result is a sharper and sportier driving experience.

A Step-Shift transmissions is an automatic transmission with Fluid coupling (Torque Converter) and is sometimes referred to operationally as a "step gear" automatic transmission (AT) because of stepping from one gear ratio to another automatically instead of a continuous ratio (such as a CVT) or having to manually shift a transmission with a mechanical clutch.

...In the transmission area, emerging technologies [1] such as continuously variable transmission (CVT), dual clutch transmission (DCT), automated manual transmission (AMT) and
electrically variable transmission (EVT) have appeared in the martket, which is traditionally dominated by step gear automatic transmission (AT) and manual transmission (MT)...

http://folk.ntnu.no/skoge/prost/proceedings/acc05/PDFs/Papers/0582_ThC14_2.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
actually it can be a cvt or automated manual.

Subaru CVT also will do fake gears.(at least on some models such as outback)

That's only a fake step-shift. MolaKule is correct.

Is this a step shift?
[Linked Image]

so by that guy's definition every Automatic transmission with a torque converter is a step shift transmission?
even the ones you cant manually shift.. got it.

and CVT's arent a step shift transmission they can only simulate one.
by using "step shift logic"

"Step Shift" is a marketing name for using paddle shifters or flick of a lever way of commanding gears in an automatic transmission whether CVT, dual clutch, automated or torque converter.

Because manually selecting gears in an A/T is not new (lever, pushbutton, kickdown button) it's having a less clunker way to command gear selection.

I think this is right ^^^^^^

I did like the paddle shifter on the Audi a5 I had last year as a rental...

Originally Posted by Rand
so by that guy's definition every Automatic transmission with a torque converter is a step shift transmission? ...
Usually, but not necessarily. Most conventional automatics with a series of several (2-10) fixed gear ratios. (Usually associated with a torque converter, although some early ones used a fluid coupling instead).

Not a CVT attached to a torque converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back