Is Liquimoly Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Just not interesting in the PITA of doing the FCP Euro/take advantage of their ridiculous policy thing. I get why folks do it though - if they wanted to stop it it would be easy to exclude fluids from their lifetime guarantee policy. Also, they clearly have done the math and know that they sell more doing this from all the extra things people buy than they lose.

I don't see how it's a PITA. Dump the used oil back into the old containers, put it in the supplied bag/box and drop it off at the post office. Much easier than driving to walmart for oil.
lol.gif

Have you actually priced out the shipping at the post office? It's quite a lot for regular consumers.

I tried to send back wiper blades in the original cardboard box it came in, and USPS wanted $40 to ship, which was more than what I paid for in the first place.

$40 to ship wiper blades? What the heck? I've shipped heavy small engine parts for less than that. For me I always use the lowest cost option to ship the box back to FCP. Last time it was $12-$13 I believe for my sister's kit for her Jetta. It's cheaper than pretty much any synthetic oil I can get for the car (7 quarts + filter). The post office is also next door to one of the buildings I work in, so I can walk there. I get how it would be more expensive for some people because of shipping though. I sell quite a bit of stuff on ebay, and shipping has really gotten crazy the last few years, along with the post office losing stuff.

Edit: I should add that I don't believe Liqui-Moly is superior to anything you can get at WalMart like Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40. In fact before this change I ran Castrol 0w40 in my car, and still use it for a neighbor's 330xi E46 and a friend's 330i E46 ZHP I maintain. It just happens to work out cheaper for me to do FCP.

Last edited:
Here's my latest (duplicate post from the UOA forum). Pushed it the furthest so far. ~9K miles and changed it just at 30K total. 100% of this interval was with a new IS20 (GTI) turbo (was slightly used but new to me/my car) and Stage 2 software. This interval included lots of hard driving, about a dozen quarter mile launches and numerous shorter 0-60 runs. I drove the crap out of it. Still probably 60% highway cruising. Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 with Ceratec additive added when changed. (can see the moly/boron numbers from it) Looks like it held up great. I had zero consumption over the interval. I'll be going back to my ~7.5K change now but just was curious what 9K looked like with the hard use/extra power. Looks like it sheared to 30w but not by much. Also looks like the K&N "oh my god it will ruin engine rock-catcher" air filter is still doing a good job at filtering. Based on the data I have so far (TBN/viscosity graphs), I'd say 7.5K is a great interval to use/safe - it's 3/year for me which is fine/not overkill.

Inked18 GOLF SW-200210_UOA_30K_clean.jpg

oil_data_graphs.JPG

Last edited:
Only read the 1st 5 pages of this thread, so not sure what I have missed

However
On the wife's car, a Daihatsu Materia with a 1.5L NA, when I changed to LM she gets almost 50km extra on a tank of fuel
On my Kia Picanto, I definitely get better fuel consumption, car is definitely more responsive and smoother

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 Overland 5.7 V8, bought it second hand and have only used LM since i have had it, cant tell if there is any difference, and one dosent buy a V8 Jeep for the fuel consumption
Truck has an old Fashioned V6 3.4L double cab 4X4 - it's a toy/work horse
It just gets driven

Does this make LM better then other oils?????
Don't know, however would be great to know from oil experts with some laboratory tests and real info of the oil

People say LM has over-the-top marketing. Yep...they defiantley do some marketing.

Screenshot_20200426-112519_Instagram.jpg

People say LM has over-the-top marketing. Yep...they defiantley do some marketing.

oh, yeah...and the marketing does work! lots of people are engine flushing with LM products on an engine that barely ran for 50.000 km!

probably feels good
whistle.gif

Last edited:

Some marketing? They spend more on that than R&D and manufacturing together. In Europe you cannot go to soccer game where there is no Liqui Moly banners.
Interestingly in Eastern Europe Liqui Moly is probably most aggressive advertiser, because Made in Germany.

Going to try the Molygen this time...why not. Really just a standard 502-type oil but has a friction modifier already in it. Only about 6k on the Leichtlauf in there but I've been beating it up hard the last few mos. Will grab a virgin analysis and try their flush as well.

20200503_151316.jpg

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Science.

God help you if you're obsessive compulsive. IJS.

AHAHAHAH. I'm not about this. You have 1K miles according to LM to use the light to trace leaks. I'll look around in a month and see but car is 1.5 years old with 35K, not anticipating any.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Science.

WOW! How much is it worth? 20hp? 50hp?

Easily 8.45 (repeating)..hahahahahah. I'll take any extra I can get to get that 1/4 time below 12 sec..hahahaah

Science.

Easily 8.45 (repeating)..hahahahahah. I'll take any extra I can get to get that 1/4 time below 12 sec..hahahaah

Serious question. I noticed LM PL Engine Flush. Does your vehicle have an oil cooler? If so, how do you prevent the flush from remaining in the cooler/cooler-lines?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Science.

Serious question. I noticed LM PL Engine Flush. Does your vehicle have an oil cooler? If so, how do you prevent the flush from remaining in the cooler/cooler-lines?

It won't matter even if there is some in there, which i highly doubt. Its like 300ml on top of all your oil... It does get drained out...

It doesn't have an oil cooler but anything is so diluted it just doesn't matter. I let it drain a lot longer than normal after I ran the flush through.

6 qts of green 5W40 goodness after using LM's engine flush. Good for 7.5K miles of sending it. 🤣

20200701_140816.jpg

Last edited:
6 qts of green 5W40 goodness after using LM's engine flush. Good for 7.5K miles of sending it. 🤣

Noack: 11%
KV100: 14
HTHS: min 3.5

Their 5W50 version of that oil has KV100 18.6 and HTHS 3.7. I mean, it looks like race to the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back